Notices

I can't take it anymore!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2002, 10:36 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I can't take it anymore!!!!!

As close as I am to finishing my Civic, I'm really not. I have to finish assembling the shortblock, put together my hybrid tranny w/ LSD, redo all my fuel lines and fittings, **** loads of wiring, and repaint the engine bay, among many other little things. It's an endless list. Without any minor sponsors, I just can't finish it now.

No, I'm not tapping out.

I have decided to flip flop things, and put aside the Civic for the next 2 months. Instead of wallowing in the pain that is daily driving a 1990 CRX HF w/ 173k miles any longer, I'm going to swap it. I have the money to do it, and it'll be competent enough to last me until I am ready to finish the Civic, at my own pace, the way I want to. So, the plan is to swap a b16a into the CRX. Not for speed, but for the pure sake of drivability.

I happened upon a HAsport mount kit, new timing belt, water pump, radiator hoses, thermostat, throttle cable and a few misc things for 350, so I snapped it up. I already have the hubs I need, plus a nice set of SiR shift linkages, and I'll swap on a ITR manifold w/hondata gasket. It won't be the fastest thing in the world, but at least I'll be bearable again. Word to the wise - never put someone in a stock HF CRX that works on fast cars all day, it tends to make you an *******.

Just thought I would share for those that are following my build up.
Old 03-18-2002, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: I can't take it anymore!!!!! (VaporTrail)

As close as I am to finishing my Civic, I'm really not. I have to finish assembling the shortblock, put together my hybrid tranny w/ LSD, redo all my fuel lines and fittings, **** loads of wiring
Ahh, poor baby. Quit your wining! Hehe, JFWY.

Damn I can only kinda relate. I think my B18B is slow, I couldn't even imagine an HF CRX. Hell, if your looking to go faster for the time being forget about the b16 for the CRX and get yourself a mo-ped!
Old 03-18-2002, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

welcome aboard, i'm so close to finishing my project i can taste it! i'm about $2k away and was right on track but my girl got sick and other little things have set me back....sigh....i wanted to be finished by march but now it looks like its ben pushed back another month. very frustrating.
Old 03-18-2002, 10:51 PM

Default Re: I can't take it anymore!!!!! (lucas569)

WhaoooOOOO!!!!
crx back in action.

Old 03-18-2002, 11:05 PM
New User

Default Re: I can't take it anymore!!!!! (93LSivic)

some stats on the world dominating 1.5 liter HF, for those wondering about it's possible potential

1.5 liter SOHC 8 valve
Factory rated @ 62 crank hp, 87ft/lbs
48mpg city/50 highway
5krpm red line
2.95 final drive
Theoritical 180mph top speed
Actual top speed (if given conditions are ideal<no head wind, long road) 110mph.

Dyno tested @ 53whp/82ft/lbs
Drag raced to a 19.5@63mph (no helmet required
40mpg on average
400-600rpm idle speed, lumpy, bumpy and inconsistant.
Axles have been shot for a year
Brake rotors are cracked, pads past the wear indicaters
alignment off so bad you can't drive with the steering wheel straight
Nickname - Merge Right

Body - straight as an arrow, no rust in sight.

You too could have such world reknown performance. Sad thing is, I almost hate to retire the motor. Amazing that it's never even had the valve cover off (and you can tell by the sound the valves make heh heh). The HF, though old, cranky, and underpowered, is a pretty stout motor. I've beat the living **** out of it for the last year, and it's just taken it and taken it and taken it some more. Red line every shift, every day? Sure, no problem. Powershift all the damn time on the OEM clutch? Not an issue. Throw a timing belt, sieze the OEM water pump? Throw on new belt and pump, good to go. All in all, reliable transportation for 1 year for 1500 bucks. But I just can't deal with it anymore.

[Modified by VaporTrail, 3:10 AM 3/19/2002]
Old 03-18-2002, 11:16 PM

suddenly i dont feel so bad about having a D15B8 CX replacement. in my 91 Si
Old 03-19-2002, 04:18 AM
DSF
Honda-Tech Member

As close as I am to finishing my Civic, I'm really not.
Trust me, I can identify with this statement I'm about $2k from finishing mine, but that number holds no value as I'm constantly replacing parts with upgrades, before anything is even assembled. I'm actually doing something similar to you. I'm finishing my CRX hopefully by this weekend. My B16 is my Civic's back-up motor, so I'm keeping the CRX SOHC. But with the addition of a homemade turbo set-up I've got 3 spare engines for the CRX, too.

Damn, this is an expensive hobby
Old 03-19-2002, 04:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default I feel you man.

Man I know how you feel. I keep dumping money, money and more money and nothing yet with the super600 project.. it makes me want to puke. There is so much crap I have left to do.. and so much more money to spend..... I needed FI of some sort so I bought a 96 Talon TSI to pacify myself (it helps a little) but man I stare at my damn car in the driveway everyday and think that its a never ending curse that going to drive me crazy.. when I accepted this fate I knew that it would never end, even when she's all together and everything is right there will be some new necessity out there to make the combo better etc.., but its getting over this huge initial HUMP of time/money that you have to look past if you want to go fast with no sponsors (like you and me and many others with no help from a corporate big wig.)
I think it will taste a whole bunch sweeter when your roasting 5th gear (rolling on the throttle) knowing you did it with no helping hands. Good luck John just keep going you'll get there.
(your closer than me ya bastard!)
Old 03-19-2002, 05:38 AM
New User

Default Re: I feel you man. (Dublocivic)

I'm also in the same boat. Not this last Saturday, but the Saturday before(3/9/02), I dropped my B16 and used some parts to assemble my B18A/LS tranny set up. It took a couple days to get the motor ready and then installed. It's now Tuesday the 18th and my car is almost finished. Once I get the car finished and ready to start I have to wire up my new injectors(800cc), resistor pack and off to the dyno to try to get the AEM tuned. This was the biggest mistake I've made in a long time. It took me 3-4 months to put things together and this last week of running around, renting cars so I can go to work has just pushed me over the edge. Once the car is done and running strong it's going up for sale. I'm sure someone wants a 400 whp Civic Si for 22-24K! This is just a small sample of my problems. Best of luck to others, Later Allen
Old 03-19-2002, 10:55 AM

Default Re: I feel you man. (abraunb16)

it doesn't matter john, all cars are never ending projects. you know my story...
Old 03-19-2002, 10:57 AM
New User

Default Re: I feel you man. (ronin)

it doesn't matter john, all cars are never ending projects. you know my story...
spoken like a true wise man.
Old 03-19-2002, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I feel you man. (VaporTrail)

word. My car has been a long time coming, and it still isnt together. It shall be alive soon....now only if i can persuade the judge to let me keep my license
Old 03-20-2002, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I feel you man. (D-SPEED)

Hmm... how long has that (Building) been appended to the CRX in my sig... I don't even want to think about it...
Old 03-20-2002, 10:24 AM
New User

Default Re: I feel you man. (MarkC)

as long as I've been on honda tech I think heh heh
Old 03-23-2002, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I feel you man. (VaporTrail)

Heh. Funny how I saw this fine piece of autumobile (and it's story) about 5 days ago.

.... and you actually wasted time dynoing it?!

Thanks again for the work on Tuesday. I just got back to WI about 45 minutes ago. 29 degrees! Yay. Take care.
Old 03-23-2002, 08:02 PM
Better than steak

Default Re: I feel you man. (MarkC)

Hmm... how long has that (Building) been appended to the CRX in my sig... I don't even want to think about it...
Isnt that the truth. Everytime I walk in your garage I see the porr ZC engine sitting there saying "come on big boy, put a fat turbo on me and boost me baby!!" But poor thing is boost deprived.

art
Old 03-23-2002, 08:56 PM
New User

This will just make it all that much sweeter when it's done. Besides, now you can help me with my car