Notices

I am at a cross road, please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2003, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am at a cross road, please help

Well I have been trying to lie to myself, put off thinking about it, and even flat out
denying the issue. Its no good though I am just not satisfied with my Jackson Racing super charger, and I just don't think I will be even if I do get the exhaust and intake systems replaced with better/more free flowing systems.

I first got the system instead of trying to get a turbo set up for several reasons. I wanted a reliable set up (it is reliable so far by the way) as this is my only car. I wanted a system that was at least some what smog legal. I thought that the JR super charger set up just sounded simpler.

If anyone is still reading at this point and before I go any further my current set up, state of modification is as follows........

1994 ls four door automatic tranny with 115,000 miles on the drive train, Jackson Racing super charger kit for the ls,gs,rs non-vtec motor....that's it...nothing else done to it.

I've been playing around with the idea of replacing the auto with a manual tranny which my buddy who is also my mechanic (installed the charger) said he could do for about 1,500. I was also looking with interest at the intercooler that one of you guys on this board had a thread about. I don't want to spend any more money if I will not be getting what I want out of it. I am looking for about 250-270 hp daily driven as you say. I like the idea of super charging but don't know if I can get what I want out of it.........

Sorry if this is an extremely long and boring post here but I really would like your guys opinion and help on where to go from here, should I try and continue down the super charger path or ditch it and try for a turbo set up? I live in California which has very strict smog laws so what ever I choose I would like to at least appear at a glance to be legal? please any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I am at a cross road, please help (JASON77)

I really would value any of your guys advice ....please
Old 04-09-2003, 11:27 AM

I would definitely change your transmission to manual. As far as the supercharging goes....it sounds like you don't have the proper tuning. Superchargers are very reliable, and a 250-275 whp goal is very easily attainable. You should take it to a tuner and have them get your engine running perfect. They could also tell you what you need to do, an intercooler may be a good start.
Old 04-09-2003, 12:21 PM
TurboJesse

Default Re: I am at a cross road, please help (btl fed)

changing your transmission would be the biggest improvement, i swapped from an auto d16 to a 5 speed b16a, world of difference Also though, your buddy that says he'll do it for 1500 is making a more than a few dollars off you im not sure how much trannys go for (depending on which one you want , condition, etc) but the rest of the parts you will need can be had for ~$200-$300 dollars..
Old 04-09-2003, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I am at a cross road, please help (Mpir3)

The general consensus regarding the hydro clutch era Hondas and converting auto to manual... is sell the car and buy a manual.

$1500 is a good price, if the mechanic KNOWS everything involved. New pedal assembly, clutch hydraulics, even the ECU has to be fiddled. It's a LOT of work.

I think some of the newer blowers can get you 250+ whp, but the JRSC? You spend a couple grand more on it, run 8 psi, I think the guys on the Forced Induction Integras board were getting ~238hp or so out of their JRSC setups and comparing them to cheaper turbo kits rated for more hp.
Old 04-09-2003, 12:32 PM

Default Re: I am at a cross road, please help (btl fed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by btl fed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> a 250-275 whp goal is very easily attainable. You should take it to a tuner and have them get your engine running perfect. They could also tell you what you need to do, an intercooler may be a good start. </TD></TR></TABLE>

name one JRSC setup making 250 on an auto LS.
Old 04-09-2003, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: I am at a cross road, please help (T-sohctec)

I think you would have been better off with a greddy turbo kit for smog issues and power concerns. But since you already have a JRSC, I would just swap the tranny out, maybe some headwork or a better pulley for more boost.
Old 04-18-2003, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I am at a cross road, please help (intekragsr)

Thanks for all your replies and sorry if I have added to this thread after such a long time, but work has been real busy......

I would love to go with a turbo charger system, but I already do have the JRSC system. I also understand that it would most likely be easier to buy a new car than have my current one swapped out to manual, but well I think that if my friend can actually do the swap for $1500 or there about like he has said then it would be cheaper and I would rather just keep the car I have now.....

Has anyone heard from John (CRVRX) ?? I emailed him once or twice but have heard nothing from him? I understand he is probably a very busy guy.. I am very eager to find out more about the intercooler they had built for the JRSC!

As of right now the plan in my head is to try and get the tranny replaced with a 5 speed manual, redo the exhaust, put a cool air intake of some kind on there, I would really like that intercooler or the JacksonRacing water-mist system if I have to, and up the boost. Of course I will need to get this thing properly tuned, can anyone recommend a good place around me to get my car dyno tuned? Please?
Old 04-19-2003, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A how do you say.....bump