Notices

HP/TQ treshold of OEM diff compared to Quaife or OBX?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HP/TQ treshold of OEM diff compared to Quaife or OBX?

Just wondering if the OBX and Quaife units are able to withstand more of a beating than the OEM Honda LSD's and if so, about what is the limit for a stock unit?
Old 01-13-2006, 11:26 AM

Default Re: HP/TQ treshold of OEM diff compared to Quaife or OBX? (barelyboosting1.8t)

bump
Old 01-13-2006, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HP/TQ treshold of OEM diff compared to Quaife or OBX? (barelyboosting1.8t)

I would not put the OBX in the same catagory as a quaife. **** you can not even get your axles out of an OBX lsd.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: HP/TQ treshold of OEM diff compared to Quaife or OBX? (underpressure02)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by underpressure02 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would not put the OBX in the same catagory as a quaife. **** you can not even get your axles out of an OBX lsd. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Have you even used an OBX diff or are you just going by what everyone else says? The new OBX diffs do not have this problem when installed correctly

He is talking about any torque biasing differential, regardless of brand.

bump for a good question.

platinum.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HP/TQ treshold of OEM diff compared to Quaife or OBX? (platinum00)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by platinum00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Have you even used an OBX diff or are you just going by what everyone else says? The new OBX diffs do not have this problem when installed correctly

He is talking about any torque biasing differential, regardless of brand.

bump for a good question.

platinum.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No I saw all the problems my friend had when he used the OBX and what he had to go through to get his axle out everytime he broke one. So next time don't assume. I spent the extra money and got a quaife and have yet to have a problem with it. Oh and I don't need a shop press to get my axle out.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HP/TQ treshold of OEM diff compared to Quaife or OBX? (underpressure02)

neither do i or have the other people running OBX diffs.

tell your friend to get the updated diff or install it correctly

platinum.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by underpressure02 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No I saw all the problems my friend had when he used the OBX and what he had to go through to get his axle out everytime he broke one. So next time don't assume. I spent the extra money and got a quaife and have yet to have a problem with it. Oh and I don't need a shop press to get my axle out. </TD></TR></TABLE>

They updated the OBX LSD's and the new ones do not have the axle problem.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HP/TQ treshold of OEM diff compared to Quaife or OBX? (tokes1320)

bump for an answer to the original question.

platinum.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by platinum00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bump for an answer to the original question.

platinum.</TD></TR></TABLE> x2

On a side note, do ALL of the OBX retailers have the new edition or should I be on the lookout for a few Gen.1 models?
Old 01-13-2006, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by platinum00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">neither do i or have the other people running OBX diffs.

tell your friend to get the updated diff or install it correctly

platinum.</TD></TR></TABLE>

There were tons of threads of all the people having the same problem where they could not get their axle out, so I guess they all installed them incorrectly.

And he tried to give away the diff and no one wanted it so he threw it.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a 3 tranny's for my car. 1 with an obx diff. 1 with a stock diff and 1 with a quaife.

obviously the quaife is the way to go.

i havnt broken any of the diffs....hell i havnt even broke an axle and im running the same stockers for 3 years.

i have seen tons and tons of factory diff's gernade...but i have never seen a quaife blow up. obviously more people are running the factory units compared.

if your making enough power to "break" a factory diff....aside from being stronger, you would see great benefits by going to the quaife regardless.

save your pennies and the a quaife
Old 01-14-2006, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HP/TQ treshold of OEM diff compared to Quaife or OBX? (Turbo-charged)

i trashed THREE stock diffs in two months last summer...
when one wheel spins and the diff tires to transfer the power to the other wheel, they lock and blow up, everytime they did they tore the ring gear and pinion gears apart in the tranny.. (ruining the tranny) im going with a quaife. not sure on the numbers though. just going by the reserch i did, with the amount of people having problems with obx.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HP/TQ treshold of OEM diff compared to Quaife or OBX? (Trailz-EX)

im around 300hp and 250 tq.
thats well over the stock diffs capabilites
Old 01-14-2006, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

from quaifeamerica.com :

What is the torque bias ratio of the Quaife differential?

QUAIFE does not specify bias ratio details and generally, does not use the term. The QUAIFE ATB differential is an all helical gear design. The angle and tooth form of the helix used, the number of pinions used, and many other factors (including the particular car fitted) all contribute to how the differential behaves and biases drive torque. Each QUAIFE differential application is designed to offer the best compromise between performance and durability.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:32 AM

The HP/TQ threshhold on the Quaife is more than you will ever make. The best thing about it is the lifetime warranty.

I have one and love it by they way...
Old 01-14-2006, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

also from quaifeamerica.com :

What kind of horsepower can the Quaife differential handle?

The QUAIFE differential is engineered to take just about as much horsepower as you can throw at it. In almost any given transmission or rear axle, the QUAIFE ATB Differential will not be the limiting factor. If you have any questions regarding this, please feel free to contact us.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ha ha im sorry, im not tryin to be a dick but i cant even find a web site for the obx lsd... just a buch of forum like these with people askin why they cant get there alxes out. and that it looks like the same design as a quaife, minus good torolences. good craftsman ship and warranty... and lots of people saying the customer service sucks real bad.. im not trying to bash obx, that is just what i read.... it looks like if you have a good one(obx), your lucky.

not one person said anything negative about the quaife. maybe that it was expensive, but they turned around to say that they would buy it again for other vehicles.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:50 AM

It is expensive, but the resale value of a Quaife is going to be pretty good. It's like money on the bank.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HP/TQ treshold of OEM diff compared to Quaife or OBX? (beerbongskickass)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beerbongskickass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It is expensive, but the resale value of a Quaife is going to be pretty good. It's like money on the bank.</TD></TR></TABLE> Didn't Quaife stop production of their differentials for the 90-91 CRX SI transmission either this year (06) or last year?
Old 01-14-2006, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HP/TQ treshold of OEM diff compared to Quaife or OBX? (dr_latino999)

i believe they did, the difference is in the bearing size.. 35mm and 40mm.
they discontinued the 35mm size.
(i can get you the article from quaifeamerica.com if you want)

they basically said that you would have to get a different tranny if you fall in this catagorey.

they are cheap and im pretty sure it will bolt up if you get the right on.
dont quote me but i think you just need a newer d-series tranny. i just bought one from a junk yard out of an 00 civic for $300
Old 01-14-2006, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well for us cable guys that leaves us only with the 90/91 Transmissions and those are harder and harder to find
Old 01-15-2006, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HP/TQ treshold of OEM diff compared to Quaife or OBX? (dr_latino999)

hasport has a sweet conversion kit for you cable guys.. i saw it in a sport compact car mag, it replaces the slave cylinder and does some funky leverage stuff to make the cable work.. pretty sweet im sure you can find it on their web site or call them... if you look and do reserch you can find anything you need pretty much or ways around problems like this
Old 01-15-2006, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The funky level thing is for the B-Series transmissions.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

We all know the Quaife can handle anything, but how much and the stock diff handle.

platinum.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

all motor cars have been know to break stock diffs... I also saw another guy making around 550 brake his at the track the other day....

the main problem with the stock lsd is when it lights up one wheel it breaks the joint......I broke 2 passenger side axles on shitty street tires in 4th gear in one week...

Quick Reply: HP/TQ treshold of OEM diff compared to Quaife or OBX?