Notices

How much would you pay?

Old 04-14-2005, 05:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much would you pay?

Ok, so it turns out I'm a MUCH better welder then ever expected and I have access to a welder as well as my friend who welds pretty well also. I figure I might as well make use of my talent, so I might start making exhuasts, DP's, IC pipes and possibly manifolds (need some practice on this, after a few attempts I'll get it)

How much would you guys pay for a 3" catback exhaust?
How much for a 3" DP?
IC pipes?

Researching a bit, it would cost about $175 to make 1 3" exhuast for a hatch, if I made them in bulk it would be a lot cheaper probably. I'd have to charge a bunch to make a decent profit, like 300 at minimum. Would you pay $300 for a 3" catback for you hatch?

It would cost about $60 to make a 3" DP and that's simple to make, no flex, flex would be an extra 60. Thats semi reasonable to make a profit off of because people will pay more than $225 for a 3" DP. Would you pay $225? 275 with the flex?

IC pipes cost me 130 in materials to make, plus couplers. I'd defenitly need a new source to make money on these. But to start, I dunno around $200.

I didn't price manifold peices but I know they're ******* expensive.

So what do ya think, I know you'd have to see the work before you'd give a solid answer, but throw out a reasonable ballpark price or revisions to what I posted.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How much would you pay? (92civicb18b1)

hard to say...but you said it right here

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92civicb18b1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
So what do ya think, I know you'd have to see the work before you'd give a solid answer, but throw out a reasonable ballpark price or revisions to what I posted.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 04-14-2005, 06:56 AM

Default Re: How much would you pay? (redturbocivic)

It will most likely be MIG welded, so it isn't going to be the most beautiful piece you'll ever see, but quality wise it'll defenitly be better than anything SSAC makes.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:45 AM
95GSRTT

just to point it out to you.

You just told us it costs you 120 to make a 3" downpipe with flex. And you want to charge 275... Thats 155 dollar profit... It may take you 2 hours to make one, thats over 75 an hour. You honestly think your skills warrant a $75 an hour pay check?

The most I would pay for one of your downpipes b/c I know you just started is 150-160 and thats with flex. I have a guy locally that tig welds them for roughly 150. And he does a damn good job
Old 04-14-2005, 10:17 AM

Default Re: How much would you pay? (95GSRTT)

I understand where you're coming from but I'm not doing it out of the goodness of my heart though, I'm doing it for money. SOrry to be so blunt and forward with it but it's the honest truth.

I just threw out a ballpark price, it would take me at most an hour and a half to weld up a DP. I could easily adjust the price down to 200, but that would be a loss on my side. Not really a loss, more of a disappointment, cause I know I could get more than 200 for it, whether I spent 2 minutes making it or 5 hours.

Also, just because it only takes an hour to make doesn't mean it isn't worth let's say $250. Why? That could be a huge gain on someones car. I'm sure people have posted a dyno of a 2.5" DP vs a 3" DP, and it brings in some nice gains and reduces lag.

Welding is a skill, some people don't have that advantage and will in fact pay more for a piece just because they can't make it themselves. Case in point, take an AEM intake for example, a piece of metal tubing bent into shape with a filter on the end. It's worth $200 to someone even though its a $40 piece. Ok so it's carb approved, lets go to the Ebay short rams then. They're at most $15 to make, they sell them for $30-40, they're still making a nice profit than something that took 2 mins to cut.

In all seriousness, if your local guy does make them for you for 150, buy a few and put them on ebay. You'd be amazed by the profit you'd make. I really would like to see one, cause I would buy one for 150....just so I don't have to take the time to make one.

I do appeciate your input though, it helps me make a better starting point.

As for me selling a DP for 160, just no. That would be a complete waste of my time, cause I'd have to put too much out to make such a little profit. Unless I found a much cheaper source for the pipes, flex and flanges.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:38 AM
95GSRTT

Im not saying you shouldnt sell it for more, I just simply asked do you think your welding skills with a MIG welder are worth that much?

I know people will pay it and thats good for you, and Im glad you are one of few people that will admit they are trying to make more money off something instead of bullshitting around and saying that prices on your steel went up 10 bucks so you are gonna charge 50 bucks more just b/c you can.

Either way, good luck with selling it, and If you got the skills you will definitely be able to sell it.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92civicb18b1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I understand where you're coming from but I'm not doing it out of the goodness of my heart though, I'm doing it for money. SOrry to be so blunt and forward with it but it's the honest truth.

I just threw out a ballpark price, it would take me at most an hour and a half to weld up a DP. I could easily adjust the price down to 200, but that would be a loss on my side. Not really a loss, more of a disappointment, cause I know I could get more than 200 for it, whether I spent 2 minutes making it or 5 hours.

Also, just because it only takes an hour to make doesn't mean it isn't worth let's say $250. Why? That could be a huge gain on someones car. I'm sure people have posted a dyno of a 2.5" DP vs a 3" DP, and it brings in some nice gains and reduces lag.

Welding is a skill, some people don't have that advantage and will in fact pay more for a piece just because they can't make it themselves. Case in point, take an AEM intake for example, a piece of metal tubing bent into shape with a filter on the end. It's worth $200 to someone even though its a $40 piece. Ok so it's carb approved, lets go to the Ebay short rams then. They're at most $15 to make, they sell them for $30-40, they're still making a nice profit than something that took 2 mins to cut.

In all seriousness, if your local guy does make them for you for 150, buy a few and put them on ebay. You'd be amazed by the profit you'd make. I really would like to see one, cause I would buy one for 150....just so I don't have to take the time to make one.

I do appeciate your input though, it helps me make a better starting point.

As for me selling a DP for 160, just no. That would be a complete waste of my time, cause I'd have to put too much out to make such a little profit. Unless I found a much cheaper source for the pipes, flex and flanges.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This has nothing to do with FI, take your post and your welding somewhere else.

Try the classifieds. Maybe they'll care in there. And are you stupid? No one's gonna buy that thing for $300 when they know u made it for 175.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:42 AM

I wouldn't pay more than what I would pay for a kteller exhaust, so no, I wouldn't pay 300.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:56 PM

Default Re: How much would you pay? (95civicex)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> And are you stupid? No one's gonna buy that thing for $300 when they know u made it for 175.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you stupid?
Have you ever bought anything?

did you realize your paying 10 times what it costs to actually make an AEM intake?
Did you realize your paying 10 times what it costs to actually make a Skunk2 Exhaust, cams, intake manifold?

That what a stupid comment.

Hmm, does a downpipe made for a t3/t4 not have something to do with FI, hmm...what about IC pipes.

STFU, your comments meant absolutely nothing.

I'm not trying to sell anything right now

Forget the exhuast idea, it wouldn't be worth me making it, I could have sworn I saw kteller selling them for way more than $200. Without the muffler I could sell it a lot cheaper, but then it wouldn't be "bolt-on".

I think my MIG skills are pretty good, I could TIG too but I'm not as good as I am with MIG.

Old 04-14-2005, 02:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey not to sound to dumb but what is the major difference in the welding types?? is one better for high tems or flexiblity or what. and yes your are right things get sold at a ridiculous mark up. anything from plasmas to turbines. especially guys that reflash ecus. yeah granted I am sure it took them a few runs on the dyno to perfect the tuning but after that is all said and done they just need to flash the bios on the chip and then they are done. so $600 for 10 minutes of work thats a rip off if I saw one. but the world is about money making it and spending it. go for it man the only thing you can do is loose some money on piping. and jack up yopur shipping charges if you sell on ebay. easy money right there.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:39 PM

Its your product, you can charge whatever you want. But the market will determine whether or not your will be successful. I can say this you do have some big disadvantages to overcome.

1. You are relatively unknown
2. Your quaility of work is also not known
3. You charging the same price as TIG welded products.

As a consumer what would make me go with your product vs say spoolingperforance. He charges about 270 for a full 3 inch DP /w flex which is TIG welded and he is know for good customer service and quaility of work. You may need to bring your prices down to encourge people to try your products.

My 2 cents.
GL Ed
Old 04-14-2005, 08:44 PM

of course, I just threw out some prices which would make me very happy. They can easily be adjusted.

I'd most likely sell them on ebay start the DP at 200

The IC pipes at whatever it costs to make, cause I dunno how much people would pay.

Some people on ebay aren't the most intellegent, so I could make a few exhausts and put em up to make at least a small profit.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you won't sell any mig welded manifolds on here. Do it right, sell a quality product.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:45 AM

Default Re: (bluebullet)

I don't think I would sell the manifolds.

It would look like garbage MIG welded and I don't like the way my TIG welding looks, so even if it was quality...it wouldn't meet my standards to sell it most likely. I wouldn't sell anything I wouldn't put on my car.