Notices

How much power is this IC capable of supporting?

Old 01-03-2004, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much power is this IC capable of supporting?

Its from http://www.johnnyracecar.com/

Heres a description off the website

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is the six inch tall intercooler that I sale a lot of. I have customers who have installed these on just about everything. There is a stable of cars using these that put down 350 whp. Sizes: Core 30" X 6" X 2" End tanks are 7" tall X 3.25 deep. 2.5" OD piping X 2.5" long</TD></TR></TABLE>

Im looking for something that can support anywhere from 10-18 PSI and about 300-400 WHP tops, I dont ever really plan to go over that.

Will this IC be ok?
Old 01-03-2004, 06:16 PM

Default Re: How much power is this IC capable of supporting? (Altered)

i wouldn't trust it for more than like 250hp, those are very poorly designed intercoolers
Old 01-03-2004, 06:23 PM

Default Re: How much power is this IC capable of supporting? (boosted jetta)

read your own quote on your post to answer your question

says 350whp
Old 01-03-2004, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted jetta &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i wouldn't trust it for more than like 250hp, those are very poorly designed intercoolers </TD></TR></TABLE>

why would you say that?
Old 01-03-2004, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How much power is this IC capable of supporting? (Civiclx)

Too thin, too long, and too short.
Old 01-03-2004, 08:41 PM

Default Re: How much power is this IC capable of supporting? (89civic1.8T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 89civic1.8T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Too thin, too long, and too short. </TD></TR></TABLE>
exactly this intercooler should be a model of how not to build an intercooler
Old 01-03-2004, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted jetta &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
exactly this intercooler should be a model of how not to build an intercooler</TD></TR></TABLE>

I totally disagree. What do you have against them? the kid takes ford powerstroke (or whatever those giant truck ones are) intercoolers, cuts them in half, and remakes the endtanks. They work fine and I don't see the problem. We threw one on my friends hatch and it just so happens the fit is near perfect. Its about the biggest intercooler you can manage to fit under a stock (looking) bumper. (meaning it looks unmodified from the outside). It's a good product, and the price is great.
Old 01-03-2004, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it depends on what you are looking for, I personally am doing an SOHC turbo so i was under the impression that the longer FMIC will have more pressure drop, but will allow for cooler air. a taller FMIC will have less pressure drop but does not cool as effeciently
Old 01-03-2004, 09:07 PM

Default Re: How much power is this IC capable of supporting? (Johnyquest)

there is a bit too much pressure drop for my taste, if the intercooler was taller it would be more efficent, it's long, short and thin and bad combination
Old 01-03-2004, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted jetta &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">there is a bit too much pressure drop for my taste, if the intercooler was taller it would be more efficent, it's long, short and thin and bad combination </TD></TR></TABLE>

how many lbs you running, a lot of us low sohc guys use this and it seems to work very very well
Old 01-03-2004, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How much power is this IC capable of supporting? (Civiclx)

Well, there is a guy on here that made 300 WHP in a CRX with that intercooler.

Plus those intercoolers use to be off of the Ford Powerstrokes and they run a lot of boost
Old 01-03-2004, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How much power is this IC capable of supporting? (BG Boost)

too much of a pressure drop? like what .5psi??

if your on a budget, its an awesome intercooler, but there are better ones out there
Old 01-03-2004, 09:39 PM

Default Re: How much power is this IC capable of supporting? (Code Blue)

i've heard the pressure drop is more lik 1.5psi, which is a lot for an intercooler
Old 01-04-2004, 12:53 AM

Considering how much thought he put into the spelling in that little blurb you quoted, I wouldn't trust him.
Old 01-04-2004, 10:02 AM

Default Re: (kpt4321)

more info? are these intercoolers realy that bad? i was going to buy the 6 inch today or tomorrow
Old 01-04-2004, 10:13 AM

thos intercoolers are just fine. they work great, the flow pretty good, and they cool fine too. they are good for about 350 horsies. I have one I know 20 other people that have been running them and they all work great.
Old 01-04-2004, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why do people think that you have to pay a $1000 for something for it to be good? I bet if it was made by greddy,speaco, apexi,hks,or if it say jdm it would have been a perfect intercooler, I think customcoach, and tyrus make the best intercooler for a street car, and they only cost $250, perfect endanks, great designs for people who like to give the little guy a chance in business.
Old 01-04-2004, 10:37 AM
TurboJesse

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted jetta &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i've heard the pressure drop is more lik 1.5psi, which is a lot for an intercooler</TD></TR></TABLE>

I used to run one and now its on my friends car...no pressure drop, you can't beat them for the price Please don't bash a product that you have "heard" about
Old 01-04-2004, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted jetta &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i've heard the pressure drop is more lik 1.5psi, which is a lot for an intercooler</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly, "you have heard". I make 330whp with this intercooler with no problems and minimal pressure drop. I am upgrading my IC but just because my goals have changed and I am going over 400whp now. For 300whp this Intercooler can take what you throw at it. You can't beat it for the price.
Old 01-04-2004, 11:09 AM
i HAS questions ?

They're efficient up to ~350 hp as everyone and the quote has stated. I would've bought one, but decided to go with a larger intercooler. To those bitching about pressure drop: stop being pussies and just turn up the boost more.
Old 01-04-2004, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dtmamg)

you would be much better off with one half the length and twice the height.

BUT in real life stuff has to fit in order to use it so i guess it's OK for lower HP setups. and the guy who said there is NO pressure drop is lying. There is with any IC and that one would be one of the worst because of it's design.

Maximum Boost by Corky Bell has a really interseting chapter on Ic design, for $20 I think everyone in the FI forum should have a copy. It's not the turbo bible but it has lots of good information and real world examples.
Old 01-04-2004, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bailhatch)

this intercooler works fine. great intake temps. i did notice about 1.5 psi of drop. but i think that's what they make boost controllers for.

platinum.
Old 01-04-2004, 06:03 PM
TurboJesse

Default Re: (Bailhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bailhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
you would be much better off with one half the length and twice the height.

BUT in real life stuff has to fit in order to use it so i guess it's OK for lower HP setups. and the guy who said there is NO pressure drop is lying. There is with any IC and that one would be one of the worst because of it's design.

Maximum Boost by Corky Bell has a really interseting chapter on Ic design, for $20 I think everyone in the FI forum should have a copy. It's not the turbo bible but it has lots of good information and real world examples.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i wasn't reffering to "no pressure drop" in general...basically my friend was running a maxrev kit with the maxrev IC (hks core i believe). he drove around for a week or 2 with no bumper because he couldn't get teh maxrev to fit and didn't want to hack his bumper up...so i traded him my jonnyracecar IC for his maxrev. He installed the Jonnyracecar IC inplace of the maxrev and there was no pressure drop.
Old 01-04-2004, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mpir3)

Oh sorry for jumping on you. That makes perfect sense then. Sounds like you got the sweet end of that deal
Old 01-04-2004, 06:24 PM

Default Re: How much power is this IC capable of supporting? (Altered)

This has been kind of a lingering topic here around HT.
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=684467
Everybody seems to have a different opinion about it, but I've never seen any testing or anything done on it. I have one, I like it, but there again, that's just my opinion. However, I'll say what I said in the other thread: the quality of a part is relative to the suitability of it's application. In other words, you wouldn't buy a $1000 i/c for a 250 hp setup, and you wouldn't buy a Tyrus i/c for a 450 hp setup. It all depends on what you're looking to achieve, and a lot of people forget that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How much power is this IC capable of supporting?