Notices

How-to: JDM Det Cans (Electronic)

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 12:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How-to: JDM Det Cans (Electronic)

What is a det can?

A tool that allows you to use your ear as a knock sensor. Your ear/brain can identify detonation much better than a 15yr old ecu which has a hard time distinguishing knock from valvetrain noise, piston slap, etc.

Here are some links to more det-can info:

Mechanical det cans - very good info: https://honda-tech.com/zero...54326

Knock sensor info and audio clips: http://home.netcom.com/~bsunda...s.htm

A DIY det can: http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=0348 (don't forget to read article 2)

A Must Read on Detonation and knock: http://www.streetrodstuff.com/...x.php

Needless to say, there's a lot of good info on these boards and google. Now to the det cans:

Parts list:
1) "Listen Up" hearing aid/amplifier from radioshack (or similar device) ~$15
2) Wire (I used shielded) ~$2-$10
3) Alligator clips ~ $2-$4

Step 1 - Pop the sides off with a small flat-head and unscrew the 4 small screws (you need a very small eye-glass repair screwdriver)

Step 2 - Remove the speaker from the unit by desoldering the wires from the board (take note of which wire went where) or by cutting if you'd rather splice than solder. Also remove the white masking tape from around the speaker.

Step 3 - Solder or splice your wire (about 5-8ft) to the main board

Step 4 - File a small slit into the case so you can slide your wire through

Step 5 - Solder or splice your wire into the mic and use JB Weld or similar to secure the mic to the alligator clip (bottom arrow)

*Optional - I used shielded wire so I also soldered the ground to the aligator clip (top arrow)

Tape and secure everything. It's a good idea to test it quickly before screwing everything back together by just turning it on to see if the mic is picking up anything.

I ended up clipping mine to the alternator bracket. So far, it's working excellent. It actually sounds like the clip above; like you're inside the motor
Old 12-01-2007, 12:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How-to: JDM Det Cans (DragWerks)

I want some usdm cans...THEN we're talkin
Old 12-01-2007, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How-to: JDM Det Cans (m R g S r)

i want mine in yellow,
ya'll know ..yellow = fast
Old 12-01-2007, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How-to: JDM Det Cans (DaveF)

Old 12-01-2007, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Been there done that these are worth it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ZWD1V
Old 12-01-2007, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MidShipCivic)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1555006
Old 12-01-2007, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MidShipCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Been there done that these are worth it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ZWD1V</TD></TR></TABLE>

How do you monitor knock while driving with this? Please don't tell me you hold it to the block while on the dyno...

A hose works just as well to audibly check if injectors are working and you can put your $80 towards another mitsu tranny or crank (sorry cheap shot )
Old 12-01-2007, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DragWerks)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DragWerks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

How do you monitor knock while driving with this? Please don't tell me you hold it to the block while on the dyno...

A hose works just as well to audibly check if injectors are working and you can put your $80 towards another mitsu tranny or crank (sorry cheap shot ) </TD></TR></TABLE>

Not trying to be ignorant but rubber hose dampens frequencies & sounds.

Improvise don't hold it to the block.

P/S All engines get crankwalk as for Mitsubishi just don't use 2g oil squirter's which feed from the main bearings.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:10 PM

How are you identifying normal engine noise versus actual knock?
Old 12-01-2007, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man i need to post up some pics of my new electronic det sensor i made. I based it off the one in that part II article you posted. It works well, but when the rpms get high and **** starts getting loud i get a decent amount of noise and its hard to distinguish sounds. I still think the rubber hose and copper pipe method works a little better, but is just a bigger pain in the *** to deal with while tuning. Remember when making the rubber kind you must use hard rubber so you dont dampen the sound too much.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How-to: JDM Det Cans (SOHC_MShue)

:cough/toss:

http://www.automotivetools.com...05369
Old 12-01-2007, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good stuff
Old 12-01-2007, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How-to: JDM Det Cans (MidShipCivic)

Chassis ear I have used mine to tune at least 30 cars. I'm sure the radioshack rig is pretty much the same thing...I would really recommend headphones that go over the ear to block out outside noises

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xenocron &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How are you identifying normal engine noise versus actual knock?</TD></TR></TABLE>.
It's pretty obvious once you spend some time listening to engines. Have you tried any kind of listening device before? I have repeatedly compared my perceptions to Subaru ej25 KS logs on a dyno and mine were very close everytime
Old 12-02-2007, 03:51 PM

Default Re: How-to: JDM Det Cans (Bailhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bailhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's pretty obvious once you spend some time listening to engines. Have you tried any kind of listening device before? I have repeatedly compared my perceptions to Subaru ej25 KS logs on a dyno and mine were very close everytime</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nope...I prefer to read plugs. I find it easier to listen to everything going on and watching my sensors, rather than trying to pinpoint one specific device and try to decipher another thing going on in real time. If I could log it...then we are talking.

Plus hooking up a DET can on each POS car that comes to my dyno would just be added fun.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:25 PM

Default Re: How-to: JDM Det Cans (xenocron)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xenocron &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Plus hooking up a DET can on each POS car that comes to my dyno would just be added fun. </TD></TR></TABLE>

AHAHAHA #_$(*#(_*@ _#(@*#_(@

That is great!
Old 12-02-2007, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Man i need to post up some pics of my new electronic det sensor i made. I based it off the one in that part II article you posted. It works well, but when the rpms get high and **** starts getting loud i get a decent amount of noise and its hard to distinguish sounds. I still think the rubber hose and copper pipe method works a little better, but is just a bigger pain in the *** to deal with while tuning. Remember when making the rubber kind you must use hard rubber so you dont dampen the sound too much. </TD></TR></TABLE>

If you get some pics, go ahead and post them up

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xenocron &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How are you identifying normal engine noise versus actual knock?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Listen to the sound log in the link up top

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xenocron &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Nope...I prefer to read plugs. I find it easier to listen to everything going on and watching my sensors, rather than trying to pinpoint one specific device and try to decipher another thing going on in real time. If I could log it...then we are talking. </TD></TR></TABLE>

On a dyno you can find MBT and have the convenience of (safely) reading plugs at any time. This is a "street-tuner's" tool.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DragWerks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">On a dyno you can find MBT and have the convenience of (safely) reading plugs at any time. This is a "street-tuner's" tool.</TD></TR></TABLE> I read plugs and use the det cans when tuning cars on the street. I feel pretty unsafe reading the plugs on the side of the road though. Its scary when cars are zooming by

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MidShipCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">:cough/toss:

http://www.automotivetools.com...05369 </TD></TR></TABLE>
does this setup work prety well compared to other chasis ears?
Old 12-02-2007, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xenocron &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nope...I prefer to read plugs.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So I'm guessing you spend the time to map the entire load vs rpm spectrum? A full pull won't show detonation very well if its right at peak torque when the turbo spools up.

Besides, for a few bucks, you can have this AND read plugs/etc. Its like an ECT gauge - you know when the coolant is hot, the sensor just tells you the exact temp. It doesn't hurt much.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

does this setup work prety well compared to other chasis ears?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Think about it. Different parts of the engine make different noises you have a
6 channel feature to give you the option of listening across the block, front/back & intake manifold/port area. .
Old 12-03-2007, 02:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nope...I prefer to read plugs. I find it easier to listen to everything going on and watching my sensors, rather than trying to pinpoint one specific device and try to decipher another thing going on in real time. If I could log it...then we are talking.

Plus hooking up a DET can on each POS car that comes to my dyno would just be added fun. </TD></TR></TABLE>
I read plugs as well but that only lets you know whats happening after the fact. You should try it, it's not like you are listening to just a mess of noise, it's quite apparent if the motor is knocking....and you could log it...with a tape recorder haha.

are you saying it takes a long time? you only have to hook up a big spring clamp to the block and turn the box on. 1-2min
Old 12-03-2007, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How-to: JDM Det Cans (MidShipCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MidShipCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Think about it. Different parts of the engine make different noises you have a
6 channel feature to give you the option of listening across the block, front/back & intake manifold/port area. .</TD></TR></TABLE>
i know it has 6 channels, but how clear is the sound? The problem with the one i made is the clarity of the sound and i even have capacitors in the circuit to filter it.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I resent that statement......

Chris i gotta call you and bug you with a few questions sometime soon....... if you can pm me with the best time to reach you.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i know it has 6 channels, but how clear is the sound? The problem with the one i made is the clarity of the sound and i even have capacitors in the circuit to filter it. </TD></TR></TABLE>
? still wondering about this. I might give this unit a try.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I can hear distinctive sounds just fine.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I made one using a radioshack amplifier. I can hear the fuel priming in the fuel rail... i love it.

I use a bosch knock sensor on the end though...

Quick Reply: How-to: JDM Det Cans (Electronic)