Notices

How do you read my plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2003, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you read my plugs?

The scariest thing happened today. I just installed a NX direct port kit on my h22 accord. I was told by some people online to use the 22N/16F jets for an 80hp shot. I was also told by someone at NX to use a 22N/18F @ 10psi for a 75hp shot. The direct port kit does not come with #16 jets, so I used the #18 fuel jets, think that it will run rich because the stock fuel pressure is at ~42psi, and WOT im guessing a lot more. So quite a bit richer.

So I went to the track, turned on my NX controller, sprayed through 4 gears, then when I let go of the gas after the 1/4 track, the car turns off. Luckily I had enough speed to coast to a safe place. I tried to start the car but it wouldnt start. So I turned the key and gave it gas and it started. Everything seemed fine at that point so I took another run about 45min-1hr later. The same thing happened when I let go of the nitrous....engine dies and starts when i give it gas. WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON???? Could the engine die because there is too much fuel?

My setup:

98 jdm h22a, NX direct port, MSD digi6+ and SS coil, NGK bkr7e, 91 octane gas, and your basic intake, exhaust, pullies, action 2md clutch, fidanza flywheel.

Where can I buy a good compression tester? What other test should I run on my car? Im really worried.

I have heard that the white tips indicate a lean engine, while others say not to look at the tips and look at the ring around it, indicating a rich engine. Which is it?
Old 05-29-2003, 12:12 PM

those are really lean looks bad. carbon should build up i little on the back of the prong say 5~8 millimeters up (half way up the curve no further) and the tip of the prong should be clean (new looking). there also should be carbon on the inside of the insulator a bit below the rim. the tip of the insulator should be somewhat clean but a bit of carbon is fine this is of course on a proper mixture. sorry i cant see your rim get some new plugs ( they are alot easier to read )and step up the fuel bit by bit try spraying in third once then look at the plugs again repeat as needed dont push it good luck
Old 05-29-2003, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How do you read my plugs? (dvp95)

To read the plugs correct look at the seat of the plug with a magnifying glass. The ground strap will always be lighter than the seat of the plug. Look for small metallic pieces, if you see them they are pieces of the combustion chamber signifing pre-ignition/detonation occured.
Old 05-29-2003, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do you read my plugs? (boosted hybrid)

I dont see any specks at all when I look at the plugs up close. The tip looks gray/white. The ring is black. And that little white thing in the middle is just plain white.

Lets say it is running lean. Would it cause my engine to turn off AFTER I let go of the nitrous WOT switch?
Old 05-29-2003, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To make the engine run lean you would have to have an extreme case as with 20:1 air/fuel. An engine can "run" on very lean mixtures, but to a certain point the compressed air with barely any gasoline will not ignite. Its possible that the engine is shutting off with a severe lean condition, but I would check electrical aspects of the engine first.

With FI/nitrous you want a golden/amber color to the ground strap with a medium dark color to the seat of the plug. You are not going to get the actual color of the plug when its burning if you dont shut off the engine immediately after you make a WOT run. You need to shut the car off via key, push the clutch in and take the car out of gear. You cannot cycle the engine or you will create a lean condition which the plugs will read. The only accurate method of checking your plugs is doing the above.
Old 05-29-2003, 02:30 PM

Default Re: How do you read my plugs? (boosted hybrid)

Damn... how long did you drive on those? Those are 7 range and they are ghost white. I'm betting on a lean problem here...
Old 05-29-2003, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do you read my plugs? (JRSCCivic98)

yes from the pictures posted the plugs look as if the motor was running a lean mixture. but it's kinda hard to tell really unless we can see them up close, to look for specs, uneven wearing or melting straps etc. either way the grounding straps are too light of a color and the insulator around the electrode in the middle is a bit too white. should be more mocha colored, like a light brown. and a darker Gray color on the strap instead of the whitish, light Gray color.

try the larger fuel jets or increasing the FP.

need i ask if you're running a 255 LPH fuel pump with the DP system??
Old 05-29-2003, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do you read my plugs? (sweet)

I noticed that during the second of my only 2 nitrous runs, when i switched to 4th gear, my nitrous did NOT turn on. I just checked the fuse now and it was blown. It was a 20amp fuse. What could be the cause of that, and why the hell did my engine turn off?!?!?!?!?!?!? It didnt turn off during the nitrous run, or at idle, but right after i let off the gas and the WOT switch turned off.
Old 05-29-2003, 06:15 PM

When I had nitrous in my car, my plugs looked liked that before I melted a piston . Give the n20 a rest and take care of the lean condition asap.
Old 05-30-2003, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dvp95 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I noticed that during the second of my only 2 nitrous runs, when i switched to 4th gear, my nitrous did NOT turn on. I just checked the fuse now and it was blown. It was a 20amp fuse. What could be the cause of that, and why the hell did my engine turn off?!?!?!?!?!?!? It didnt turn off during the nitrous run, or at idle, but right after i let off the gas and the WOT switch turned off.</TD></TR></TABLE>

do you have the electrical components of the N2O system wired up to an under the dash fuse? if so did you increase the fuse amperage accordingly?

just asking cause it seems like a wire may be "shorting out" somewhere, or a bad connection, or that the fuse is underrated for the capacity of current that's needed.

also how exactly do you have this N2O system wired up?
what's the arming switch, WOT switch, solenoid wiring sequence etc.?

some more info may help.
Old 05-30-2003, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The NX system has its own 20A fuse going to the main relay of the nitrous system. The relay is rated at 30A, so should I just increase the amperage? This is probably the least of my concerns, but it blew when i went into 4th gear, what would be the reason for that?

The NX system is wired with the WOT switch according to the NX progressive controller diagram. Both solenoids going to eachother and the relay. The other wire from the solenoids going to the controller as a ground. Basic stuff i guess, nothing special. Also have the genx2 kit.
Old 05-30-2003, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dvp95 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The NX system has its own 20A fuse going to the main relay of the nitrous system. The relay is rated at 30A, so should I just increase the amperage?</TD></TR></TABLE>

so is there one main cable that runs through the fuse that powers everything including the relay for the solenoids and the arming switch?

or does the arming switch have it's own electrical connection inside the car, like under the dash etc?

when i mentioned increasing the fuse rating i was referring to using the under dash stock fuse box. picking an ignition circuit to run the arming switch etc. off of and then connecting to that. sometimes in doing this you may need to increase the fuse rating just a little bit, but that depends on what accessories are added onto the circuit. definantly don't want to overdo it and load it down though.
Old 05-30-2003, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sweet &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

so is there one main cable that runs through the fuse that powers everything including the relay for the solenoids and the arming switch?

or does the arming switch have it's own electrical connection inside the car, like under the dash etc?

when i mentioned increasing the fuse rating i was referring to using the under dash stock fuse box. picking an ignition circuit to run the arming switch etc. off of and then connecting to that. sometimes in doing this you may need to increase the fuse rating just a little bit, but that depends on what accessories are added onto the circuit. definantly don't want to overdo it and load it down though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh yeah, I forgot. The switches inside the car for the main activation switch, bottle warmer, and purge kit were all tapped into the clock for power. I tapped into the yellow wire that gives power with the key.