Notices

Hondata vs. Crome

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hondata vs. Crome

So I have afully built single cam and am going to boost it for the big power. My power goal is about 450 to 500. The last thing i need to get is hondata though and was talking to a buddy about it today. The topic of crome or Hondata came up. ive done some research and really havent come to a conclusion. So my question is what can you do with hondata that you cant do with crome and is s300 really worht that $500? thanks all
Old 03-25-2010, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata vs. Crome

^^^^^
Old 03-25-2010, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your tuner tunes ectune, I would get that instead.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:58 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have little if no exp with crome, do you still need to burn chips with crome? (i am really asking)

i have been using hondata since 03, s200 til late 06, then s300. never had an issue. and they keep stepping up with updates.

i have no exp with ectune. so i cant say anything positive or negative.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

reasoning behind ectune? and i have alot of money wrapped up in this but im just saying if crome truly does everything that s300 does why not save the cash. and yes you still burn chips with crome
Old 03-25-2010, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Crome will not do everything that S300 will, and Crome is a lot more buggy.. Get the S300 and don't look back.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i appreciate the help but i would like things that s300 will do that crome wont. i know both have boost by gear and all that. and how is crome more buggy? technical knowledge is appreciated thanks guys
Old 03-25-2010, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Bailhatch
If your tuner tunes ectune, I would get that instead.
or neptune
Old 03-25-2010, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok once again reason behind why i would want to use ectune or neptune? no offense but imnot just gona go have my car, that i have thousands of dollars invested into, tuned with some program just because you say use this. lol bump for tech on hondata vs crome
Old 03-25-2010, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

because chrome is free and it has bugs. not to mention the support for the product is not there. Hondata has great support for there products. not to mention the ammount of R&D that they do before they launch a product to a consumer.

If you have all that money wrapped up in a build then spend a little more to protect it.

Chome seems to be in a constant Beta State where i would not want to risk my build just to save a few bucks on the most important part of your car.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanx man. appreciate the help
Old 03-25-2010, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

neptune has the same or more features for a better price
Old 03-25-2010, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, chrome is something provided by google..

Crome was created by John Cui.
Crome is not updated as much as it should be. Its still a good tuning system. Ive used it a bunch of times, and not once have i had a problem. My buddie Brain Made something Like 620whp on it from a h22.

Hondata, I have never used it, due to the price, and there isnt very many people in my area that support it. Ive heard good things about it, but like said b4 crome dose all the same things for 1/3 the price.

Ectune, I know a mass amount of people running it. Its a very solid ems. Lots of updateds, and Ive used it a few times. I love it. Its by far my fav, tuning system Ive ever used. Ease of use, was awesome. Created a basemap and it started up and ran very good. I mean very good. Like withing 20 min, We had a whole street tune done and had boost tuned to 10lbs safely. Now we spent another hour on the dyno and it was on point.

The only thing I can complane about its the whole forced update thing. So If I know Im gona go tuning, I just make sure the updates are done.

Only other ems Ive used were AEM ems, on a 97 4g63 dsm. It was ok, but its very generic.

And the other one Ive used was mega squirt. Its also very generic and has a mass amount options. You also have to do a mass amount of research.
If I had to choose for my own car, and I have droped a bunch of cash on a build, would be ectune.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Crome is perfectly fine. I and plenty of other tuners have made reliable power with it with no issues. It takes more fine tuning to get some things done vs the more expensive softwares, but its to be expected from a very inexpensive/free software.

Don't worry about which is better, worry about what your TUNER prefers using. Go with whatever HE recommends.

If you are doing the tuning yourself, then I'd opt for eCtune or Neptune before I ever payed for Hondata.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:40 PM
derp resistant

ostrich emulator and ectune. thats the route i am going.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rat city rex
Ok, chrome is something provided by google..

Crome was created by John Cui.
Crome is not updated as much as it should be. Its still a good tuning system. Ive used it a bunch of times, and not once have i had a problem. My buddie Brain Made something Like 620whp on it from a h22.

Hondata, I have never used it, due to the price, and there isnt very many people in my area that support it. Ive heard good things about it, but like said b4 crome dose all the same things for 1/3 the price.

Ectune, I know a mass amount of people running it. Its a very solid ems. Lots of updateds, and Ive used it a few times. I love it. Its by far my fav, tuning system Ive ever used. Ease of use, was awesome. Created a basemap and it started up and ran very good. I mean very good. Like withing 20 min, We had a whole street tune done and had boost tuned to 10lbs safely. Now we spent another hour on the dyno and it was on point.

The only thing I can complane about its the whole forced update thing. So If I know Im gona go tuning, I just make sure the updates are done.

Only other ems Ive used were AEM ems, on a 97 4g63 dsm. It was ok, but its very generic.

And the other one Ive used was mega squirt. Its also very generic and has a mass amount options. You also have to do a mass amount of research.
If I had to choose for my own car, and I have droped a bunch of cash on a build, would be ectune.
forced update explain plz
Old 03-26-2010, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

THANKS! My question really is i have way more money into a single cam than i should. i still need a few more things to get to have this thing running. I will do a little more research into neptune and ectune and also call my tuner. would like more info on forced update as well. I know there has to be others with questions like mine. i have the motor and all that down just not fully knowledgeable on tuning
Old 03-26-2010, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 03-26-2010, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you're not doing the tuning, you don't have to worry about the forced update. eCtune requires a forced update every month(i think) or so. If you're no where near the internet, you won't be able to use the software until you update. 99% of the time you're forewarned about the update a few days/weeks but sometimes **** ends up going wrong and it causes headaches for people.

The end user experiences none of this.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OH GOTCHYA
Old 03-26-2010, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so in order to use the software u need internet or the software just needs tobe updated every 30 so it can b used

im going tobe b tuning my beater no real money invested
Old 03-26-2010, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

between both ems Crome does take about 2-3 more extra pulls than Hondata for everything to be on point. i like how people bash on Crome but yet they cant spell it. Hondata is a great system but poor customer support also. yeah they have updates but get on the phone with them and its a different story. i tune 85% Crome and like 15% Hondata i guess around my area people dont got the extra 569.99 for s300. and Crome aint free lol.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

up here if you have crome and a chipped ecu its free. are you charging for a free program or whats the reason you charge for crome
Old 03-26-2010, 01:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MONSTERek4
between both ems Crome does take about 2-3 more extra pulls than Hondata for everything to be on point. i like how people bash on Crome but yet they cant spell it. Hondata is a great system but poor customer support also. yeah they have updates but get on the phone with them and its a different story. i tune 85% Crome and like 15% Hondata i guess around my area people dont got the extra 569.99 for s300. and Crome aint free lol.
How many cars have you tuned on crome ?
How much tuning seat time do you personally have with hondata & crome ?

THIS TOPIC has been covered TONS of times!

I have tuned hundreds of cars & all I can say is crome is out dated & bug infested.
There have been no attempts to resolve the issues it has.

IMO crome is a good temporary solution until you can afford Hondata etc...

Hondata s300 retail pricing is actually $490 now.

Originally Posted by locash
Crome will not do everything that S300 will, and Crome is a lot more buggy.. Get the S300 and don't look back.

Listen to Joe, he has made over 1000 whp on Hondata :-)
Old 03-26-2010, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks guys

Quick Reply: Hondata vs. Crome