Notices

Hondata CPR wiring help

Old 01-03-2012, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hondata CPR wiring help

I've searched around and there's not a lot of info out there yet (that I've found) on how to's or answers on what to do on these yet and I had some questions and would like to see if any of you have the answers.

instructions http://www.hondata.com/help/cpr/index.html

Here's my questions,

(1) So from what I gather you wire the (4) black w/ white stripe wires from the CPR harness to the coil power wire in the harness of your car (black w/ yellow stripe) the coil has been removed from the dizzy so can i cut the wire in two and solder the (4) black/white wires from the CPR harness into the black/yellow wire going to the dizzy completely disconnecting the coil power wire from the dizzy? Or does that wire still need to complete it's path into the dizzy?

(2) Wiring in the tach output wire, I thought the tach output wire was the blue wire that was in the same connector in the car's wiring harness as the coil power wire (correct me if I'm wrong plz) so from what I get from the instructions it's wanting you to connect it to that wire? or is there a place to connect on the ICM? My shell had an MSD setup on it when I bought it attached is a pic of the innerds of the dizzy. The MSD had a signal wire on it (white wire near the top of the ICM) is this where I need to hook up the tach signal wire? or on the car's harness (blue wire) I looked through my helms and it doesn't have any info on what the wires go to on the ICM.

Thanks for the help,
Attached Images  
Old 01-03-2012, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata CPR wiring help

I also had the same questions, but I want to remove the ICM all together In it for answers
Old 01-04-2012, 03:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^ I think it is a valid question cause the directions that come with it are not clear about this part. My hondata dealer will answer e-mails, but he's already helped me out with a lot of stuff so I wasn't going to bother him with this question so I called Hondata, and they acted like I never read the directions, of which I did many times, he also stated that there is some pins to repin these wires into the cars harness (on the engine side of the harness) I didn't think that there was, but I was at work & parts at the house when I talked to him and couldn't confirm or deny that to be true. Checked when I got home, no such pins in my kit only pins for re-pinning ECU. I didn't get any solid answers from the phone so I'm going to repost this on their forum and post the result here, but if anyone knows the answers I'm looking for plz feel free to post.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:41 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I read the crappy instructions and yes it is hard to understand since the person who posted it probably has no electrical experiance at all.
If you can email and get a wiring scematic and post it I can help alot more.
From that site I don't know how many wires your working with or what kind of harness you have. Post pics of what you have. ill try and read it again.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey I just talked to hondata tech, he said you can depin the connector which on obd1 has the blue wire and the black and yellow wire. You then install the pins on the hondata cpr wires 4 black with white stripe, and purple with the supplied pins. Then you can plug those pins into the depinned connector 4 black with white stripe to 1 black with yellow stripe, 1 purple to 1 blue. I also asked about removing the ICM and he said hondata doesnt recommend to do so beause you dont need to, but it is no longer used. Mine came with two sets of pins, two for the ecu pinning and two for the dizzy pinning however I think they are both the same sets of pines 1 large and 1 small.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

stevenson LMK how that turns out. Yesterday I didn't have time to work on the car, and the Mountaineers are playing in the Orange bowl tonight so I probably won't mess with it much tonight, but hope to have some answers here soon for future users of this system. I'll post up some pics of the results. I spoke to my hondata dealer a few times today through e-mail and he's helping me out.

If I'm reading this right you take the (4) CPR black/white wires put those on a pin where the black/yellow used to be on the dizzy side of the car's harness and put the purple CPR wire on a pin where the blue tach output was on the dizzy side of the harness (not including the OEM wires into the pins therefore eliminating them on the dizzy side of OEM harness) that was I was wondering. Is that right or wrong?

If yours works out care to share some info?
Old 01-04-2012, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

From what I understood that is correct, If I do get mine hooked up I wont know if its right or not because my car is far from running and my coils are still in the mail But Im in the process of tucking my engine harness so it will be awhile I just wanted this finished up. You can also remove the coil and ignitor from the dizzy. along with the wiring for those
Old 01-04-2012, 12:09 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

If you removed your blue wire from your haness how would your tach work? Does the hondata make up for that?
Old 01-04-2012, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^good question I was wondering the same thing, that's why I was wondering if you eliminate the wires on the dizzy side of OEM harness or include them in the pin with the new CPR wires
Old 01-04-2012, 12:44 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Most likely just splice into that wire. Your 12v source can come from the fat plugs in the harness with blk yellow wires.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was wondering the same thing however they said thats how to do it, hopefully someone with a running system can chime in on this
Old 01-04-2012, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If I had to guess I would say that it is OK to lose the coil power wire and not include it in the pin, but you'll need to put the OEM blue wire and purple wire in the pin together. So you would not have a black/yellow OEM coil power wire on the dizzy side of the OEM harness, but would still keep the blue OEM tach output wire going from dizzy to harness. THIS IS TOTAL SPECULATION, I don't know that for sure, but that's just what makes sense to me.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well heres what I figure out so far, I removed the ICM from the distributor along with the icm I removed the wiring for the icm, there was the black yellow, the blue and 1 other wire that must not be used that go directly to the icm. There are 6 wires left that must go to the sensors in the dizzy. Im going to research what the other wire is for that goes to the ICM, but im thinking something else must supply the tach signal through the blue wire to the dizzy because the ICM shouldnt be able to read for the rpm signal. If that makes any sence
Old 01-04-2012, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just talked to locash on the phone awesome guy and alot of help, the cpr produces its own tach signal so you can remove the ignitor and all the wires going to it. So clip both blue and black/yel and wire factory plug on and ur good to go tach in the cluster will still work
Old 01-05-2012, 04:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Stevenson comparing the e-mails from my Hondata dealer and what locash told you, what you are saying is right. It's really simple and they should have spelled that out better in the directions.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I sure hope so cause I already did it haha
Old 01-05-2012, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All wiring for the distributor end can be done at the plugs:
Attached Images  
Old 01-05-2012, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^thanks for the info
Old 01-06-2012, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

do you guys cut a new hole in the firewall to run the harness inside the car
Old 01-06-2012, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by artie89
do you guys cut a new hole in the firewall to run the harness inside the car
I didn't follow the directions on the routing of the wires cause it tells you to wire up to the ECU first then route wires through the firewall. The plug and wires that hook into CPR/ECU are much smaller and easier to route through the firewall than the engine bay side of the harness so I routed them through the large grommet behind where the stock location of the battery is. It'll be a lot easier to route from the engine bay to the ECU instead of ECU to engine bay.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok that what i was going to do
Old 01-06-2012, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

After multiple tests and talking with Joe @ Locash Racing (Thank you) my car is now running great!
Old 01-07-2012, 12:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok i just got done a few mins ago wiring my cpr in my 95 honda civic and i can see now why everybody not understanding how to wire it up when asking for wiring help you most let us know if you have a obd1 car are obd2 car the wiring is not the same