Notices

HKS EVC Boost controller: learn function almost blew my engine!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HKS EVC Boost controller: learn function almost blew my engine!

S13 SR20
HKS EVC IV boost controller

The Learn sequence is as follows:
1. Initiate
2. 3rd gear WOT from 2000rpm until beep. Stock boost "learned"
3. 3rd gear WOT from 2000rpm to redline, considered "second pass"

The boost gauge reads ~7psi max in the first phase of the sequence, which matches the wastegate. When doing the "second pass," boost quickly jumped to ~15psi at around 5000rpm, didnt stop, and reached 20psi or so before letting off. Didn't get anywhere near redline as was supposed to.

No engine damage occured because its built up the ***.

I set the boost controller to 1.0 bar across the board, for high/low boost, scramble setting, even warning level. And again it went well over 15psi.

So how the hell do you go through learning process if you're basically going through unregulated boost? I must be doing something wrong and yes, I read the instructions word for word.. three times.

Any help is appreciated.

Adi
Old 03-28-2007, 04:06 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: HKS EVC Boost controller: learn function almost blew my engine! (Quick99Si)

The EVC IV is such a PITA! I have one on my SR too and had pretty much the same problem setting mine up. I don't ever remember it telling me to go all the way to redline though... I am pretty sure it says to do the first pass and then stop at the beep, then do the second pass and stop at the beep. I think what I did was just the first pass and that was it. It was not beeping like it should have on the second pass. I can't remember for sure but I think I just did the first pass and that was it. You also have to input what your spring is so it actually knows what the boost reading is supposed to be when running off the spring. Once you do the first pass try and put the BC back in normal operation mode and turn the boost down to like .4bar and see what it does. Turn it up from there! If it is still not reading what your gauge is saying then you can manually adjust it. (directions will tell you how) Just keep at it and you will get it. It took me a few hours to get mine dialled in right but once I did it worked perfectly.