Notices

Hit the Dyno with my stockblock B20 yesterday... Questions about graphs

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 01:04 PM
Brrraaaap!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hit the Dyno with my stockblock B20 yesterday... Questions about graphs

First off, thanks to everyone who has helped me come this far. There are so many of you out there that do it and dont expect anything in return, helping those who are interested in building a car/turbosetup ect and turn that into a passion... And for that, I thank you all!

The sheet:

& the other sheet with the lower #s on them (4th gear pulls)

The day started out crappy, I was having issues with my homemade boost controller and I couldnt get to hold boost properly. I wanted to turn it up for the dyno runs but once I got it working properly the car would cut out at anything past 15psi, so I just left it there for the day. The first pull I spun my tires, but I was freaking out cause I saw smoke and thought that I toasted my clutch. I made that pull in 3rd gear, which was around 277hp and I cant recall my trq #. Then my next 2 runs I made were in 4th gear, but the hp the trq#s were quite a bit lower. Why is this? I thought that 4th gear was the best gear to dyno in. I was also on a dynojet, which Ive herd read low? Ive also read that mustang dynos read lower as well. Why is this and what is the most accurate dynometer to dyno your car on (other then an engine dyno) ? I figure another 2-3psi would of gotten me the magical # of 300whp but Ill live. Later last night I pulled my plugs and discovered that the gap was set to .044 on 2 of them and the other 2 were at .028. Somehow they got mixed in when I was changing out the plugs this last time, the culprit for the cutting out... Heres the setup.

T3/T4 off the Drag Kit
Lovefab Shorty
JRC Classic 6in
2.25in charge piping-2.5in with rad hoses as couplers
Fast-Turbo oil lines/fittings
Tial 38mm WG
3in dp with cut out open
Homemade boostcontroller
Turboedit
Motorolla 2.5bar
DSM 450s
VR4 fuel pump
Boost EGT Oil pres/temp Water temp
Zeitronix WB02 w/ Laptop & Willem burner

So there it is. Anti B20 people, I dont wanna hear it, so if you dont have anything positive or technical realated to add, please save it for another thread....

Blaze

Modified by Blaze45 at 3:17 PM 3/12/2006
Old 03-12-2006, 01:37 PM
HT Black OPs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Hit the Dyno with my stockblock B20 yesterday... Questions about graphs (Blaze45)

Looking good so far, thats gotta be one fun car to drive!. Goodluck with the rest of the project.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hit the Dyno with my stockblock B20 yesterday... Questions about graphs (00IntegrAllmotoR)

as long as the number is SAE adjusted, it should be fine. dont worry about a number like hp. go for times. much more impressive.
Old 03-12-2006, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Destroying turbo ITR motors in Minneapolis, MN, U.S.A.
Default Re: Hit the Dyno with my stockblock B20 yesterday... Questions about graphs (bluemax189)

I'm glad you got my old VR-4 fuel pump to work on your setup!

Do you have an install write-up?
Old 03-12-2006, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hit the Dyno with my stockblock B20 yesterday... Questions about graphs (bluemax189)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bluemax189 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">as long as the number is SAE adjusted, it should be fine. dont worry about a number like hp. go for times. much more impressive.</TD></TR></TABLE>

agree way more involved in setups then just dyno numbers.

Love the avatar too
Old 03-12-2006, 05:26 PM
Brrraaaap!

Default Re: Hit the Dyno with my stockblock B20 yesterday... Questions about graphs (coneheadsracing)

Hahha ya the avatar is classic isnt it, lol. I thought that the fuel pump install would be difficult, but it took me about a grand total of 3 hours to do everything. Basically you just drop the tank and then take out the old fuel pump, then hook up the VR4 one. It fits in there perfectly and I didnt have to make any modifycation to it whatsoever. Anyone have any insight on the pulls I made in 3rd and 4th gear and the differences?

Thanks for the comments
Old 03-12-2006, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hit the Dyno with my stockblock B20 yesterday... Questions about graphs (Blaze45)

what transmission are you running?
Old 03-12-2006, 06:19 PM
Brrraaaap!

Default Re: Hit the Dyno with my stockblock B20 yesterday... Questions about graphs (tegasaurus)

Well I had an S1 in there and I loved that tranny, but it was sort of grinding when I got it so I knew I had to get another one... Now Im running the slowest tranny ever. The 92-93 RS one I believe.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats, sounds like a fun ride

Stock B20?
Old 03-12-2006, 07:34 PM
Brrraaaap!

Default Re: Hit the Dyno with my stockblock B20 yesterday... Questions about graphs (VTC_CiViC)

Ya its completely stock. Mods I forgot to list were SK2IM and Hondata IM gasket and Im prolly forgetting something else but I cant think of anything else right now. Its definetly a fun ride, 3rd and 4th are amazing. Especially when its gets really cold here like in the 20s. Intake temps are around 50- 60 degrees.... It pulls so hard up top... I love it! Its amazing how much faster you go through tires tho...
Old 03-12-2006, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Whats the spool like? When are you hitting full boost?
Old 03-13-2006, 03:39 AM
Brrraaaap!

Default Re: Hit the Dyno with my stockblock B20 yesterday... Questions about graphs (drintegra)

Well I usually dont get full boost untill 3rd gear which is when I get traction. Usually right around 5k.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:20 PM
Weq

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the reason u make more power in 3rd is that the gear ratio is above 1:1. 4th gear is closet to 1:1 in most/all honda trannys, hence its a truer value.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:59 PM
Brrraaaap!

Default Re: (Weq)

1:1 compared to what?
Old 03-13-2006, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Blaze45)

ISck set up i must say, we will do a similar boost set up to a friend of mine. We will be useing the log mani, but your experience will definetly help and motivate us. keep the updates coming i want to see that thing at the track. Good Luck
Old 03-13-2006, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

where is beerbongsucksass...?
Old 03-14-2006, 08:54 PM
Brrraaaap!

Default Re: (gpomp)

He must of read the little disclaimer I put at the bottom of the post lol. drintegra, Ill definetly keep everyone updated with times n such. I plan on running just a little bit more boost this summer at the track and I have some 24x8x13s that I need to find rims for.... Should net me low 12s, if not an 11 second pass if I can get down the track with a decent 60ft.

Old 03-14-2006, 09:33 PM

man b20 turbo is hella fun. i was having problems with idling and pulling up top until i got my o2 sensor in. now my **** pulls like a fucken TRAIN!! .. and thats with a T3 at only 6lbs boost untuned. i am gonna get tuned and aim for 250whp.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:46 PM

HEY YOU GOTTA STOCK BOTTOM END?? JUST WONDERING BECAUSE I AM RUNING A SIMILAR SETUP
Old 03-14-2006, 09:59 PM

Default Re: (gpomp)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gpomp &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">where is beerbongkicksass...?</TD></TR></TABLE>

::raises hand::

I didn't stay away from this thread because of the disclaimer lol. I usually just post in threads when people are asking questions about B20's. I'm not going to start **** in your dyno thread for no reason. Looks like a pretty decent and cheap kit, so I give you a honda-tech thumbs up for that.

Some advice I would give is your going to want a B16 tranny for sure. It doesn't look like you have much of a powerband up top (torque drops fast), so you will want to keep the rpms up as much as possible. You ever plan on going with a vtec head?
Old 03-14-2006, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (beerbongskickass)

looks good man, i dont know if i trust that dyno though, its pretty old and beat down
Old 03-14-2006, 11:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Timmay)

great numbers man for a stock b20
Old 03-15-2006, 03:15 AM
Brrraaaap!

Default Re: (xtremeazian)

Yes its the stock bottom end. The only thing Ive done to the motor is replaced the headgasket. I had the B16 tranny in there before I was boosted and I loved it. It was grinding initially when I got it so I put in some GM syncmsh. and it went away for a few months... but eventually it had to be replaced. Now Im running the LS tranny and I hate it... As for VTEC, I havent really decided what the long term plans are holding for this setup, it sure would be nice tho. $$$ is always a factor. The dyno pulls I did in 3rd didnt show such a large drop off in trq. like the 4th gear ones do, why is this? So Timmay you were sayin you dont trust the #s it put down cause that dyno is pretty old? Are you sayin if I went to another dyno I might put down some different #s? How much of a difference are we talking?
Old 03-15-2006, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Blaze45)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blaze45 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes its the stock bottom end. The only thing Ive done to the motor is replaced the headgasket. I had the B16 tranny in there before I was boosted and I loved it. It was grinding initially when I got it so I put in some GM syncmsh. and it went away for a few months... but eventually it had to be replaced. Now Im running the LS tranny and I hate it... As for VTEC, I havent really decided what the long term plans are holding for this setup, it sure would be nice tho. $$$ is always a factor. The dyno pulls I did in 3rd didnt show such a large drop off in trq. like the 4th gear ones do, why is this? So Timmay you were sayin you dont trust the #s it put down cause that dyno is pretty old? Are you sayin if I went to another dyno I might put down some different #s? How much of a difference are we talking? </TD></TR></TABLE>

im not sure, it just seems like meridian dyno is a pile of crap, everyone's #'s seem to be low compared to other dyno's
Old 03-15-2006, 05:12 PM
Brrraaaap!

Default Re: (Timmay)

Ya I wondered about that cause my 4th gear pulls were about 30hp and 20 ft. lbs lower then the 3rd gear pull. I knew that there would be a difference by going in a different gear but that much? A guy running the exact same setup put down 279hp at 13.7psi. I was running 15psi when I put down 277hp...

Quick Reply: Hit the Dyno with my stockblock B20 yesterday... Questions about graphs