Notices

Help With valve train selection, Gsr, Crower, Manley? Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help With valve train selection, Gsr, Crower, Manley? Help

Whats up guys. I am putting together my Semi built B16.

Heres the setup
wiseco flat tops
eagle h beams
arp studded throughout
portflowed B16 head
and a gt3076R.

I know there is a lot of power you can make on gsr cams. Since Im only gone be running maybe 16LB of boost, should I invest in the Crower stage 2 turbo cams and valvetrain? Would it be worth the investment?

I can get the crower stuff relatively cheap from where i work.

I currently have GSR cams and Type R valves and Dual springs. should I just run this? I plan on pulling the motor to around 9500 or so...

Hoping to Hit 425 or so HP

As far as valves I was thinking about going with the manley valves, since they are stainless w/o coating, are they gona wear my guides?

thanks for the help
Old 06-13-2007, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help With valve train selection, Gsr, Crower, Manley? Help (Ls_dx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ls_dx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Whats up guys. I am putting together my Semi built B16.

Heres the setup
wiseco flat tops
eagle h beams
arp studded throughout
portflowed B16 head
and a gt3076R.

I know there is a lot of power you can make on gsr cams. Since Im only gone be running maybe 16LB of boost, should I invest in the Crower stage 2 turbo cams and valvetrain? Would it be worth the investment?

I can get the crower stuff relatively cheap from where i work.

I currently have GSR cams and Type R valves and Dual springs. should I just run this? I plan on pulling the motor to around 9500 or so...

Hoping to Hit 425 or so HP

As far as valves I was thinking about going with the manley valves, since they are stainless w/o coating, are they gona wear my guides?

thanks for the help </TD></TR></TABLE>

why spin to 9500 rpm??? Who is to say your car will even make power that high, main reason to rev out the motor that high is to keep from shifting to 5th in the quarter. Any valvetrain (crower, ferrea, rev, supertech etc) will be fine for 9k+ rpm. Just leave the GSR cams or get a set of ITR's and be done with it, there have been random cam failures with the crowers in the past and that is enough to make me shy away from them, and Turbo cams do not do much in a VTEC motor anyway.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:33 AM

Im pretty sure that I'm going with supertech valves, valve springs and retainers, and probably upgrading to Type R cams...

I have pretty much the same power goals as you, and I would like to rev up to around there to keep in 4th gear at the 1/4.

Supertech seems like the way to go through the erading I'e done.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:26 AM

Default Re: (numbnuts22715)

cant remember exact setup or cams it was but there was a post recently where someone took out ( crower im pretty sure ) turbo cams and installed type r's and gained around 40whp without changing anything else. i would use the r's or the gsr's

sorry no answer on the valve question but i wouldnt think so.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:10 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (agrn93ls)

ferrea......
Old 06-13-2007, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boostedcivicsir)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostedcivicsir &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ferrea......</TD></TR></TABLE>
450whp...... way overkill, I bought all Ferrea and it cost me about 1200 or so, but I am shooting for 600+, and I drive like an *******. Also with 425-450 wheel, i do not think your traps are gonna be high enough to go to 9500rpm, unless your car weights like 1700lb or so.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:49 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Default Re: (96 GSR-T)

damn ben where the hell you been hiding at? i said that because i just got my head back all ferrea stuff, but i am hoping to trap 9500ish. shifting at like 10.4ish. we shall see what it does on the dyno.

omni pr supertech should do you fine.
hell my rev stuff held up till i did the maz cams, but that was the guy that put my guides in 's fault for not putting them in deep enough on a few and the retainers were binding on the stem seals. he hee. but thats another story.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostedcivicsir &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">damn ben where the hell you been hiding at? i said that because i just got my head back all ferrea stuff, but i am hoping to trap 9500ish. shifting at like 10.4ish. we shall see what it does on the dyno.

omni pr supertech should do you fine.
hell my rev stuff held up till i did the maz cams, but that was the guy that put my guides in 's fault for not putting them in deep enough on a few and the retainers were binding on the stem seals. he hee. but thats another story.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not been hiding, just not posting..... trying to finish this damn car w/ no money, jest spent 1500 on bodywork and **** like that. My Evans App. is in August so hopefully I will be ready for it, you know we got E85 in Bear now right?
Old 06-13-2007, 11:32 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Default Re: (96 GSR-T)

i am out of money as well. and it doesnt even run yet he hee. setting it up for one last SFWD event then ill stick to local events, as i dont have the time or money to put into the pan/diaper crap, maybe stick with ndra we shall see. my car is way past streetable, i have the fuel for e85 (db2015a and 1200's) i will ask evans as he gets my car on july 27th. what ever gets me over 700 is what i will use. he hee.

where in bear?
thanks bro.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

o ill probally leave the GS-r's ... the Itr valvesprings should be cool too ??