Notices

Help me diagnose a problem, Oil Pump??

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 04:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me diagnose a problem, Oil Pump??

The motor: b18c1, stock head, stock sleeves... .030 over cp 9.1 pistons, eagle rods, block guard... 13ish psi.

I was driving last night, had it under boost at about 90 mph in 4th gear, and noticed a sudden loss in power. It felt like the turbo went, b/c it didn't lose all power, but it was quite noticeable. I hit the gas again to see if maybe it just was loading up or something, and it boosted so the turbo is fine. After this, I notice my oil pressure gauge is reading 0. I shut it off and coast off the road. After checking the gauge and the liquid tube, and not finding any leaks I start it up again and still no pressure. There is no noise, it sounds fine...I turned it back off. It probably ran for a total of 2 minutes or so from the time it happened until I noticed the oil pressure gauge.

Anyway, after thinking about it, it seems the loss in power was probably losing vtec after losing pressure. The only thing I can think of is the oil pump. It's probably shot, but someone told me the pressure relief valve could stick open, but if that's the case it seems like it'd still hold some pressure b/c when the valve opens at like 70 psi, the pressure just drops to 62ish. So, it seems if the valve was stuck open it'd just run the 62ish psi.

I'm in the middle of searching and getting ready to go back to look at the car in daylight, but if I still can't find anything I guess I'll pull the pan and change the pump. If anyone has a link to changing the pump in the car, post it... I'm searching...

thanks
Old 06-21-2005, 04:50 AM

Default Re: Help me diagnose a problem, Oil Pump?? (94lsboost)

goin to check it out now, fearing the worst and hoping for the best...
Old 06-21-2005, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

never seen a honda oil pump fail, but that doesnt meen theres a 1st time
anyways good luck

look for leaks, and wetness around the engine
if u have an oil cooler, check that, make sure ur oil return line for the turbo didnt brake and u bled all the oil out thru there
check the oil level and see if its empty
check the oil feed line
etc
good luck!
Old 06-21-2005, 05:42 AM
BCICAN

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by USDM 4G VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">never seen a honda oil pump fail, but that doesnt meen theres a 1st time
anyways good luck

look for leaks, and wetness around the engine
if u have an oil cooler, check that, make sure ur oil return line for the turbo didnt brake and u bled all the oil out thru there
check the oil level and see if its empty
check the oil feed line
etc
good luck!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Keep us posted man.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help me diagnose a problem, Oil Pump?? (Dunc)

Sorry to jack the thread but i believe im in the same boat as you.
bah!
Ever seen a Mazda oil pump fail? Cuz i believe mine just did as well, i dont have an oil pressure gauge hooked up yet but i was cruizing and i noticed my oil light started to come on(not on completley just very dim) so i killed it and coasted to a stop.
Checked the oil, theres oil.
Last night when i got it back to my house i replaced the oil pressure sending unit with another one i had and the light got brighter , though i didnt hear any clicking in the head or anything to that matter, i think im still just going to replace it.
Anyone know where to get a 10mm bspt -&gt; 1/4 npt adapter other than mcmaster.com?
Old 06-21-2005, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So is the factory oil light lighting up too?
Old 06-21-2005, 08:04 PM

Default Re: Help me diagnose a problem, Oil Pump?? (dustin)

No, the factory oil sending unit is gone/disabled so no light. I found the problem, the cog or gear in the pump shattered, so it stopped pumping. I got it shut off in time and everything else seems fine, there were 4 big pieces of the cog down in the pickup where they fell through the hole. It's pretty crazy, I'll get pics up soon. I'm lucky.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wow thats pretty crazy.
Post up them pics.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94lsboost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No, the factory oil sending unit is gone/disabled so no light. I found the problem, the cog or gear in the pump shattered, so it stopped pumping. I got it shut off in time and everything else seems fine, there were 4 big pieces of the cog down in the pickup where they fell through the hole. It's pretty crazy, I'll get pics up soon. I'm lucky.</TD></TR></TABLE>

wow you are lucky you caught it in time. Were you running any kind of aftermarket crank pulley ?
Old 06-22-2005, 01:44 PM

Default Re: Help me diagnose a problem, Oil Pump?? (salt)

Yeah it has that unorthadox racing pulley crap for the crank pulley...why do you ask?
Old 06-22-2005, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no wonder you broke the oil pump gear, you can't run a solid pully in place of a harmonic balancer. Shock waves/vibrations will kill the pump gear. You should also pull each rod cap and main cap to check bearings. 2 minutes, partially at high rpm is pretty long to be running with no pressure and not hurt anything. Good luck