Notices

Heat Wrap Intake Pipe?

Old 06-02-2006, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat Wrap Intake Charge Pipe?

I've been thinking about this ever since I got the car back together with a ramhorn style manifold. My intake temps seem much higher than they did with a log. ~ 15 degrees warmer on a colder day than it was on previous datalogs. (July vs May). My guess is the heat the manifold creates is "heat soaking" the intake pipe.

My theory is to wrap the intake pipe to keep the heat out. I searched and didn't find anything in the forced induction forum which surprised me.

Anyone else that has datalogging notice this? Heat wrap isn't expensive so I may just do it anyway.

Thoughts?

Modified by ladysman at 8:10 AM 6/3/2006
Old 06-02-2006, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had this on an old set up and i took it off

here is my theory: standby

heat wrap keeps heat out of things becuae it is a killer insulator BUT i would have to say it would also keep heat IN. intercooler piping is made out of our choice of desired materials to be used as a heatsink or thermal shrouding to let heat dispate out of the metal and by using heat wrap i would think it would keep it in.

just my dumb theory and i use to have my stuff wrapped as well
Old 06-02-2006, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mrbsponge)

Welcome to the SC world.

-Cowl your hood, get the hot air out of that engine so that your intake won't suck in such hot air. It will also help keep the engine bay as a whole cooler.
-Route your intake piping to somewhere in which it can bring in cold air. Chances are the air won't be in the intake long enough for it to heat up substancially.
-Meth injection seems to be gaining popularity, check out the post and look into it if you're interested.

As for heatwrap, I don't see it having much if any effect on IATs.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SovXietday)

would it matter if you just got a bigger intercooler? i mean i have been thinking about this for a while to and the less heat you let into the engine bay the better right??
Old 06-03-2006, 05:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mrbsponge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i had this on an old set up and i took it off

here is my theory: standby

heat wrap keeps heat out of things becuae it is a killer insulator BUT i would have to say it would also keep heat IN. intercooler piping is made out of our choice of desired materials to be used as a heatsink or thermal shrouding to let heat dispate out of the metal and by using heat wrap i would think it would keep it in.

just my dumb theory and i use to have my stuff wrapped as well</TD></TR></TABLE>

It is an insulator but if the air is already cold from the intercooler, why heat it again. You can't keep heat out of metal in an engine bay that is 200+degrees. Keeping the heat out of that pipe should help.

I just woke up and have to go to a wedding I don't want to go to. I'm grouchy.

Bump cause I can't bump it until tonight.
Old 06-03-2006, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (ladysman)

I have a wedding to go to as well

I remember someone doing a DIY writeup just for kicks using fiberglass batting (big roll of fiberglass). I think it was NA, and they say temps ~5-10F cooler. With a turbo under there, I would think you could get much more out of it, enough where it could stave off that oddball occurance of detonation if you get a batch of bad gas.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Heat Wrap Intake Charge Pipe? (ladysman)

mine is bare pipe before the intercooler then wrapped after it. Before I wrapped it, my intake pipe would always be warm while driving home just because of the underhood temps. wrapping it helps keep it from soaking up heat and dissapating it into your engine. It is the same theory as hood insulation: non insulated hoods retain heat as they are soaking it up from the engine, insulated helps prevent this...
Old 06-03-2006, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I dont have any datalogs to back up my claims, but before the heat wrap the silicone coupler on the TB was hot to the touch. Now that I have it heat wrap it is a lot cooler. The piping itself is also much cooler. The way I see it is that it cant hurt to have it.
Old 06-04-2006, 04:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SOHCD16y8)

up for the early birds..

I think I am going to order the stuff. I need to order stainless line anyway for the wastegate.
Old 06-04-2006, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

did you ceramic coat the turbo manifold?
Old 06-04-2006, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (igo4bmx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by igo4bmx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did you ceramic coat the turbo manifold?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not yet. I'm to lazy to take it off. I enjoy having no downtime so this might be a winter project for next year.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what kind of log did you have? cast or tubular?
maybe you can wrap the ramhorn for a couple months.
Old 06-04-2006, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by igo4bmx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what kind of log did you have? cast or tubular?
maybe you can wrap the ramhorn for a couple months.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Cody won't warranty it if I wrap. Knowing my luck, something would happen. I can wait until next year to coat it.

I had a maxrev log before this.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ladysman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Cody won't warranty it if I wrap. Knowing my luck, something would happen. I can wait until next year to coat it.

I had a maxrev log before this.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the maxrev are cast too right?
from my experience, cast doesn't give off as much heat as a ram horn.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:48 AM
* B A N N E D *

I gotta do a head gasket,,, so im ceramic coatin the manifold (mini tubular), but I will be cowling the hood, and wrapping my coldside pipe too, ill let ya know how it goes....should an inch be enough of a raise of the hood. Id like to only go 3/4s if possible... I will be removing the weatherstripping too.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bigdaddyvtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bigdaddyvtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I gotta do a head gasket,,, so im ceramic coatin the manifold (mini tubular), but I will be cowling the hood, and wrapping my coldside pipe too, ill let ya know how it goes....should an inch be enough of a raise of the hood. Id like to only go 3/4s if possible... I will be removing the weatherstripping too.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm doing the same thing, minus the weatherstrippping.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by igo4bmx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

the maxrev are cast too right?
from my experience, cast doesn't give off as much heat as a ram horn.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The log puts nowhere near the amount of heat a Ramhorn does.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mrbsponge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

just my dumb theory and i use to have my stuff wrapped as well</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think it will work because the air in the charge pipe is already cooled from the intercooler, hopefully there's not much heat to keep in. The underhood temps should be much hotter so I would be more worried about keeping heat out.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ladysman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Cody won't warranty it if I wrap. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Really? Why is that? He never mentioned that to me.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RyanCivic2000)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RyanCivic2000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Really? Why is that? He never mentioned that to me. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ask him. I remember him telling me that.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RyanCivic2000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I think it will work because the air in the charge pipe is already cooled from the intercooler, hopefully there's not much heat to keep in. The underhood temps should be much hotter so I would be more worried about keeping heat out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That was my thought too!
Old 06-05-2006, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If the temperature around the pipe/tube is higher than what is inside, you want to use a material with a low thermal conductivity(meaning use heat wrap, stainless steel). If the temperature around the pipe/tube is lower than what is inside, then use a material with a high thermal conductivity(meaning use aluminum). Theoretically PVC piping would probably be a good material to use post intercooler if your under the hood temps are higher than the temperature of the air after the intercooler.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nowtype)

yea thats the theory behind the old iceman intake, its plastic so it doesnt get heat soaked like metal, that would cool to see that on a turbo car.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (teg racer 877)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by teg racer 877 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea thats the theory behind the old iceman intake, its plastic so it doesnt get heat soaked like metal, that would cool to see that on a turbo car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol, I had one of those iceman intakes.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i remember a write up a long time ago where instead of wrapping the charge piping the guy sprayed it with a ceramic spray paint. he had no formal data logging, but did notice that after hard driving he could actually touch the piping without getting burned.

im not sure of the national rules but i believe that our drag track here doesn't allow wrapped intake piping, not sure why.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm...i'm thinkin about this story problem i had in my old robotics class. something about heat transfer. it's just that in our problem, it was cold outside and we wanted to keep the house warm. how fast do you think the heat under your hood can transfer through the piping and change the iats?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Heat Wrap Intake Pipe?