Notices

Heat Wrap???

Old 10-07-2004, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat Wrap???

I know some of the benefiting properties of the heat wrap around the Down pipe are holding in the heat of the exhaust from getting the engine bay too hot but how much does this really help??? I've heard that is gives you a little of horsepower, true?

Where should i look for some decent Heat Wrap?

Is there a special technique on putting on Heat Wrap?
Old 10-07-2004, 12:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Heat Wrap??? (djvtoner)

Hotter gasses are less viscous and thus travel through the pipe faster and smoother. Hence a gain in power. The other gain is controlling heat under the hood, and the pitfall is that the increased exhaust temperatures compound issues with cracking and oxidation.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:36 PM

Default Re: Heat Wrap??? (beepy)

I wrapped my turbo manifold in this stuff and it did make a difference in the underhood temps..
Old 10-07-2004, 01:02 PM

Default Re: Heat Wrap??? (tgreaves)

you can get heat wrap at most auto parts stores and over the internet just look around for it, its like 28 bucks for 1 inch wide wrap, 50 feet of it

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by djvtoner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is there a special technique on putting on Heat Wrap?</TD></TR></TABLE>

wondering this too, logically id just say overlap a little and make sure you get all of it covered good
Old 10-07-2004, 02:37 PM

Default Re: Heat Wrap??? (blackcivic95)

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P.../p-639/c-10101

I'm just abuot to buy some for my DP.

I think a lot of people would agree not to put it on your manifold because of cracking reasons. I have an equal length mani but it's thick...Opinions?

Old 10-07-2004, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Heat Wrap??? (adseguy)

Wouldn't you want to lose as much energy after the turbo as possible? Does the more fluid (hot)gas flow fast enough to make up for the heat that could have been lost through the surface of the DP?

The idea of insulating the manifold makes perfect sense to me but the DP doesn't. When spool is the concern it's all about the energy differential on either side of the turbine right?
Old 10-07-2004, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Heat Wrap??? (Bailhatch)

Regarding wrapping your manifold/dp.. It makes a HUGE difference in reducing heat dissipation by the pipe.. For example.. After wrapping your downpipe, you can actually rest your bare hand on the dp where it's wrapped and it won't burn you, after just beating on the car. You can imagine how much heat is then retained in the pipe/gasses.

I can understand where you're coming from how you want energy and pressure differentials on both sides of the turbine, but the velocity at which it exits is also important. When the exhaust gases lose heat, they lose velocity, so the exhaust gases will tend to "sit" in the pipe longer and obviously exit the pipe later, causing slightly more backpressure. By keeping the exhaust energy (heat) up, this will increase the velocity. Remember, your exhaust is important to the whole system, and the main pressure/temp drop is once it exits.

-Mike
Old 10-07-2004, 03:42 PM

Default Re: Heat Wrap??? (SlowTeg)

Does anyone have an opinion on wrapping a mild steel downpipe vs JET HOT coating?

I'm trying to figure out what is the better option for me. Obviously, it would be a lot easier to wrap it. but I'm concerned it would rust through being that it's mild steel.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Heat Wrap??? (Stewie)

If ur using mild steel wouldn't wrapping ur exhaust cause it to rust away after awhile since it would be trapping in moisture. I've seen older domestic cars that had headers wrapped and the exhaust rusted out. Would adding some high temp paint before u wrap it up help with that?
Old 10-08-2004, 05:19 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blackcivic95 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wondering this too, logically id just say overlap a little and make sure you get all of it covered good</TD></TR></TABLE>

what do you do about holding it together when you finish wraping it??? do you just tuck it in like an ACE bandage?
Old 10-08-2004, 05:29 AM

Default Re: Heat Wrap??? (djvtoner)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by djvtoner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

what do you do about holding it together when you finish wraping it??? do you just tuck it in like an ACE bandage?</TD></TR></TABLE>

ha not to sure honestly
Old 10-08-2004, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

worm clamps ever foot or so will hold it on fine!!
Old 10-08-2004, 07:58 AM

Default Re: Heat Wrap??? (mike1114)

I wouldn't wrap the manifold. I wrapped my mild steel manifold and it cracked all over the place. My stainless manifold has done just fine without wrap. (And it is a modified SSAC manifold)

I have the downpipe wrapped down to the cat.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:09 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Stewie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Does anyone have an opinion on wrapping a mild steel downpipe vs JET HOT coating?

I'm trying to figure out what is the better option for me. Obviously, it would be a lot easier to wrap it. but I'm concerned it would rust through being that it's mild steel.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Whatever you do, DO NOT RUN THE SILVER JET HOT STUFF! It peels and flakes off practically instantaneously. If you're going to jet hot it, get the black stuff.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:55 PM

Default Re: Heat Wrap??? (Chip)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chip &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Whatever you do, DO NOT RUN THE SILVER JET HOT STUFF! It peels and flakes off practically instantaneously. If you're going to jet hot it, get the black stuff.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you have personal experience with this or is this something that you heard because a lot of people have used JET HOT and mostly the silver stuff.

If this is in fact true, I will stay away from all their services because that's bad business.
Old 10-08-2004, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For holding the wrap there are kits that you can buy with the wrap. You just need to put a clamp at the begining and the end of the wrap. Some manifolds with not withstand the retained heat, so make sure yours is made of a quality material(stainless). The silver jet hot is not made to withstand the extreme heat of turbo apps hence the high temp black coating, but I have seen many setups with the silver coating and have not had any problems.
Old 10-08-2004, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Heat Wrap??? (johnmay19)

speaking of engine bay temps and wrapping...

i want to protect the ac lines, drain line, and etc...

is the exhuast wrap good enough to protect these lines from the exhaust?

i have an example. my oil drain line is touching my dp. i have wrapped my dp with the exhaust wrap and then aluminum tape (probably doesn't do much)... in that scenerio how safe am i? any ideas?

i wonder if there is an ongoing FAQ here.
Old 10-08-2004, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Heat Wrap??? (scartail)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by scartail &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">speaking of engine bay temps and wrapping...

i want to protect the ac lines, drain line, and etc...

is the exhuast wrap good enough to protect these lines from the exhaust?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

If it is good enough for the exhaust, it is well good enough for your AC lines. I have used it before and it works great.

Old 10-08-2004, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chip &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Whatever you do, DO NOT RUN THE SILVER JET HOT STUFF! It peels and flakes off practically instantaneously. If you're going to jet hot it, get the black stuff.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You are exactly right. I would be puzzled why Jet Hot would even put the silver stuff on. They should know better.
Old 10-09-2004, 07:44 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Stewie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Do you have personal experience with this or is this something that you heard because a lot of people have used JET HOT and mostly the silver stuff.

If this is in fact true, I will stay away from all their services because that's bad business.</TD></TR></TABLE>

My DSM manifold came silver jet-hotted, flaked off in a month and a half of daily driving. Dad's mustang turbo kit came jet hot coated, flaked off in about 4 months of occasional weekend driving. Brothers mustang turbo kit? You guessed it, silver **** peeled off hardcore. From my personal and relative experiences with it, I would not run the silver stuff. Charge piping, sure, but not on headers, turbo housings, etc.
Old 10-09-2004, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't personally wrap any of those on my Equal Length Manifold. However, Down Pipe I might...
Old 10-10-2004, 09:10 AM

I've seen ap IC pipes people wrap IC pipes too...Does that help any? Good or bad?
Old 10-10-2004, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TURBO4drTypeR)

I wouldn't use heat wrap on Ic pipes. They need to release the heat within the pipes not retain it. I you want you could use a reflective wrap.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:39 AM

Default Re: (johnmay19)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by johnmay19 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I wouldn't use heat wrap on Ic pipes. They need to release the heat within the pipes not retain it. I you want you could use a reflective wrap.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Engine bay temps are gonna be hotter than your charge pipes, so the heat wrap would keep engine bay heat out.
Old 10-10-2004, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Chip)

Engine bay temps are gonna be hotter than your charge pipes, so the heat wrap would keep engine bay heat out.</TD></TR></TABLE>
This subject has been covered before and always comes out to not heat wrap you ic pipes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Heat Wrap???