Notices

Headgasket leaking oil...

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2003, 06:24 PM
TurboJesse

Default Headgasket leaking oil...

anyway to fix this with out replacing the headgasket ($300 headgaskets own me )
Old 12-24-2003, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol....before you buy a head gasket check the cam seal ....i thought mine was leaking but it was just the oil draining from the seal
Old 12-24-2003, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (projectTeG)

Oil from the head gasket?
Old 12-24-2003, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (turbozxi)

if anything is leaking out the headgasket..it should be coolant..no?
Old 12-24-2003, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Headgasket leaking oil... (Mpir3)

if headgasket is leaking, then you need a new one, $50-60 for oem, get arp bolts while at it.
Old 12-24-2003, 07:03 PM
TurboJesse

Default Re: Headgasket leaking oil... (vtec.dc2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtec.dc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if headgasket is leaking, then you need a new one, $50-60 for oem, get arp bolts while at it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

its a 3mm headgasket, already have arp's...my motor won't last long with an oem gasket @ 1 bar.
Old 12-24-2003, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Very common problem !!! but its not your head gasket leaking oil its more than likely from a the sensors onthe side of your head, or the dizzy o ring or the cam seals.....leakin oil !!

Regards James
Old 12-24-2003, 07:50 PM

Default Re: Headgasket leaking oil... (BLKCRX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BLKCRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Very common problem !!! but its not your head gasket leaking oil its more than likely from a the sensors onthe side of your head, or the dizzy o ring or the cam seals.....leakin oil !!

Regards James
</TD></TR></TABLE>

i agree, oil doesnt come out of the headgasket. coolant does before oil will
Old 12-24-2003, 10:11 PM

Default Re: Headgasket leaking oil... (project dc2)

you can push 1 bar on an OEM head gasket
Old 12-24-2003, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Headgasket leaking oil... (94dxt)

The Oil Drainback is right behind that...
Old 12-24-2003, 11:10 PM
B A N N E D

Default Re: Headgasket leaking oil... (Suprdave)

Yikes, the best head gaskets to use are basically the OEM ones...
Old 12-25-2003, 04:27 AM

Default Re: Headgasket leaking oil... (VNTEC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VNTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yikes, the best head gaskets to use are basically the OEM ones... </TD></TR></TABLE>
not if your trying to lower compression ratio.
Old 12-27-2003, 11:42 AM

Default Re: Headgasket leaking oil... (Gfunk176)

i have that same problem, havent opened up my motor yet. What about this... i emptied my coolant reservor and found oil in there, headgasket?? my temp gauge was going up and down now and than also...
Old 12-27-2003, 11:49 AM

Default Re: Headgasket leaking oil... (GS-Rcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GS-Rcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What about this... i emptied my coolant reservor and found oil in there, headgasket??</TD></TR></TABLE>

Definitely

Mpir3, do a compression test that should be your best bet at finding a headgasket leak. It looks like it might be leaking from a cam seal or even the VTEC solenoid (I assume you have one because your sig says B16)
Old 01-08-2004, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Headgasket leaking oil... (TeStUdO)

just an FYI. Stock head gaskets are much better than Cometic. I had a cometic and it gave out just after 3,000 miles on hight boost. I am now in the process of installing an OEM Honda head gasket. OEM also fits a lot better. Only reason to get Cometic if if you have an odd size bore than Honda does not have. In that case Cometic makes a "HP" edition with a firing ring. Cost $$ but works!
Old 01-22-2004, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Headgasket leaking oil... (AMS MIKE)

When you added the Cometic head gasket some of the Dowels that line up thehead and block are either not in the same place..replaced.. too long or too short. It is important to mill these dowel the same as the head.. I would assume the same for adding in some gap..

for the guy with oil in coolant.. this does not apply.

its not a huge deal but worth fixing next time she's open
Old 01-22-2004, 11:04 PM

I have heard of 22psi on a stock gasket. this was with arp's and more torque than normal. not sure how much tho.
Old 01-23-2004, 04:54 AM

My friend had the same problem, even more oil than you... you will have to change your gasket and maybe shave the head and block ...
Old 01-23-2004, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (nigel)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nigel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have heard of 22psi on a stock gasket. this was with arp's and more torque than normal. not sure how much tho.</TD></TR></TABLE>

29-30 psi here....stock head gasket.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This isn't a big deal. As long as you don't have oil in your coolant or cooling issues just let it be. If you're trying to make a show car then wipe it up when you get to the show. My car does the same exact thing and I don't care. I've been pushing over a bar of boost on it like that for thousands of miles. I haven't looked into where it is coming from because it doesn't leak enough to make any difference. There is an oil drain through the head, but it is unlikely that it is that b/c thats a vertical drain. Thick fluids don't just decide to go through a compressed gasket when they can drain striaght down. Its probably the cam seal. Anyway, keep boosting happily and ignore all of these people that say you need to pull the head and shave it or change your dowels. Unless you had the head resurfaced, you will definitely not need to shave your dowels. Furthermore, milling a head makes zero sense with a thicker headgasket. Shorter dowels are never a problem because they don't do anything other than help you line it up.

In the end, if your coolant and oil don't look like their mixing you're fine. And to the guy that said you can boost a bar on a stock headgasket, you can. You can also boost two bar...
Old 01-23-2004, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bring it to real people that know how to work on hondas before you blow something. im sure your boys on the apg site can fix it..lol
Old 01-23-2004, 08:26 AM
TurboJesse

Default Re: (1.83Tc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1.83Tc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bring it to real people that know how to work on hondas before you blow something. im sure your boys on the apg site can fix it..lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

its already fixed ******....or i can bring it too your shop where you can build my engine and add NOS and still make less Hp than i did on a stock engine
Old 01-23-2004, 08:28 AM
TurboJesse

Default Re: (nigel)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nigel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have heard of 22psi on a stock gasket. this was with arp's and more torque than normal. not sure how much tho.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you guys are missing the point here I know a stock headgasket can handle alot of boost, but it won't lower my compression
Old 01-23-2004, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the same leak, right under the cam seal and vtec solenoid. I covered up the distributer and all other electronic parts and sprayed engine degreaser all over so I can see where the oil is originating from. It wasn't the cam seal because I'm using the AEBS triple o-ring cam seal. It was coming from the vtec solenoid gasket. I havn't had any problems overheating, vtec engaging, or any other problems. I just bugs me to see the leak, just cause I'm afraid of any oil starvation to the turbo. Just degrease the motor it's probably the cam seal or gasket to vtec solenoid. It's not your head gasket.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:45 AM
TurboJesse

Default Re: Headgasket leaking oil... (calib17a)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by calib17a &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have the same leak, right under the cam seal and vtec solenoid. I covered up the distributer and all other electronic parts and sprayed engine degreaser all over so I can see where the oil is originating from. It wasn't the cam seal because I'm using the AEBS triple o-ring cam seal. It was coming from the vtec solenoid gasket. I havn't had any problems overheating, vtec engaging, or any other problems. I just bugs me to see the leak, just cause I'm afraid of any oil starvation to the turbo. Just degrease the motor it's probably the cam seal or gasket to vtec solenoid. It's not your head gasket.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I changed the headgasket, cam seal and vtec solenoid gasket anyways, its the winter and i have nothing else to do...

Quick Reply: Headgasket leaking oil...