Notices

head porting advice (NOT A DIY)

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default head porting advice (NOT A DIY)

first if you havent had any before and after experience, or any knowledge dont post please.

Im getting ready to send off my head to have some work done and looking for advice. ive emailed a few really well known places and called a few. the replies i have gotten back are not up to my expectations on the info i was wanting. it is also making me consider other lesser known places since it seems they arent really helping and it seems like they have the "just give us your money" mentality.

basic info on the build is basically b18b1 dart tall deck block, stroked to a 2.2 with 95mm stroke, cp pistons std comp, .5mm oversize valves, 84.5mm bore, turbo build shooting for 650-700whp.

the info im looking for is the pros and cons, if any, to running a larger bore and keeping the combustion chamber the same size as opposed to having them open the chamber up to 84.5mm to match the bore. i know it would lower compression a little but if there is a risk of anything if i didnt open the chamber up i would rather sacrifice a little compression. i cant find much info on this as i would like and none of the places are really giving me the answers i am after like if i leave the chamber the same size will the edge of the chamber overhanging the bore by the slightest bit create a place for hotspots? will there be sealing issues with the headgasket? how will it effect the quench area? how would it effect the scavenging because i have read that opening the chambers up helps pack the cylinders better. anything that comes to mind from those of you who have head porting knowledge would be greatly appreciated. and also who you recommend. ive already looked into major places i know like portflow which i called today and the guy really didnt seem like he wanted to give me info, kms, headgames, and a couple of others. thanks guys.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: head porting advice (NOT A DIY)

https://honda-tech.com/forums/drag-racing-36/b16a-cylinder-head-port-job-needs-advice-2723163/

Hope it KINDA helps
Old 02-20-2012, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it does a little, and im basically with the op im worried about the overhang creating hotspots and leading to detonation.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

call endyn tomorrow. larry wrote an article about this years ago. if i remember right he welded and reshaped the chambers for the larger bore