Notices

Having trouble controlling boost...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having trouble controlling boost...

i've tried numerous "tricks" and 2 MBCs and the boost just kept spiking to about 20-25psi(boost cut im guessing) on a 15lb tune.

if i run a hose straight off the compressor housing, it will hold 7psi(wastegate spring) consistent and stable.

i tried running those ebay MBCs with the little ball and spring box "T". boost still went sky high. i used only the box "T" flipped with the inlet side from the turbo housing and outlet side(to controller) to the wastegate and have it bleed off from the ball and spring side and it held 10psi with a slight .5 to 1psi fluctuation.

i've tried different sized "T" fittings to bleed off boost pressure to no avail. i even capped off the "T" and boost still sky rocketed.

so i scrapped everything and decided to go with a namebrand boost controller. i went with the TurboXS Dual Stage High Performance Boost Controller. slapped it on thinking it'd work without hiccup, but boy was i wrong. it did the EXACT SAME THING. needless to say i was pretty P-Oed.

it holds boost fine with no controller or anything in the line, from compressor housing to the wastegate. but once i put something in the middle, there is absolutely no control what so ever.

what could cause this to happen? poor wastegate placement, need a bigger wastegate, different manifold all together, what?

my setup consists of, XS Power Twisted Ram Manifold, Ebay Wastegate, T3/To4e .63hot/.50cold turbo, 3in open downpipe to the rear of the motor, B16a w/ LS transmission, Skunk 2 Intake Manifold. if you need to know anything else, let me know.

i'd really like to figure this out and be able to use my $200 Boost Controller. any and all information is greatly appreciated.

here is a pic of the setup. i can get more detailed pics upon request.

this is without the TurboXS MBC installed. i have the ball and spring box "T" installed in this photo.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Having trouble controlling boost... (hondamn1320)

I am sure you are not hooking it up correctly. Read the instructions very carefully about vacuum line routing.

Did you tee into the fuel pressure regulator line for your boost controller? If so take that off right away before you hurt your engine.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:47 PM
official honda whore

Default Re: Having trouble controlling boost... (turbodano)

if your wastegate holds it constant before you put a boost controller on then its how you installed the boostcontroller or a faulty boost controller, chances are its your installation
Old 05-27-2008, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Having trouble controlling boost... (EARLdaSQUIRREL)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EARLdaSQUIRREL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">chances are its your installation</TD></TR></TABLE>

If it holds w/o problem with no controller, yet more than 2 manual/electric controllers fail, maybe its user error. There's a chance your WG has issues, but unlikely. WG's usually seal the top via the hole & the diaphragm; leak at hole = install issue, leak at diaphragm = boost issues w/o controllers too.

BTW did you try swapping the inlet/outlet on the controllers? Try setting it at its lowest level? All I can think of is your mbc's are set too high - the cheap ones sometimes need the spring cut, or the spring binds.

Modified by HiProfile at 1:31 AM 5/28/2008
Old 05-28-2008, 05:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Having trouble controlling boost... (turbodano)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbodano &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am sure you are not hooking it up correctly. Read the instructions very carefully about vacuum line routing.

Did you tee into the fuel pressure regulator line for your boost controller? If so take that off right away before you hurt your engine. </TD></TR></TABLE>

if you read carefully i state that my pressure source is coming off the compressor housing, and that in the picture the boost controller isn't installed. that line is for my boost gauge.

i read the instructions 4-5 times. i'm positive it is connected properly. the source goes to the side port in the controller and the wastegate line goes to the bottom port.

also, the boost controller was closed all the way. should i open it up a bit to see if it maybe that's the problem. on the instructions it says to turn the first stage 3 full turns after i close it completely, and turn the second stage two full turns after it's closed. but it doesn't say it needs to be done for the controller to work properly. i'll try that and see what happens.

also, how long is too long for the vacuum lines?
Old 05-28-2008, 05:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for what its worth.... we used turbosmart manual boost controllers for a bit back in 05, thinking with the **** screwed all the way down would be minimum boost, but in reality it was max boost with the **** all the way down.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Having trouble controlling boost... (DaveF)

i'll keep that in mind. but it has the little "+" "-" signs. turning it clockwise shows "-" and counter-clockwise is "+". and i turned it all the way clockwise till it wouldn't go anymore.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:06 AM

did you follow the part where you have to turn the coarse adjusment clockwise and then shake the boost controller and turn the coarse adjustment counterclockwise until you dont hear the rattle anymore?

this is if you have the high performance one, which it says you do. Do you have the directions from the box, or you reading online?
Old 05-28-2008, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Having trouble controlling boost... (mike@synapse motorsport)

i got it brand new with instructions. it doesn't say anything about shaking it. i just turned it counter till the rattle stopped. what should i do now?
Old 05-28-2008, 06:16 AM

turn both adjusters clockwise all the way, turn the coarse adjustment on the side clockwise all the way.

when you shake the BC you should hear a rattling from the internal ball mechanism. you need to turn the coarse adjusment counterclockwise until you dont hear the rattleing anymore. at this point if you make a pull it should be at WG spring pressure maybe 1-2psi higher. and now you can increase boost slowly from there with the coarse or fine adjustments.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mike@synapse motorsport)

ok i'll try it and report back. thanks for the help.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hondamn1320)

still didn't work. i backed it out all the way, then slowly screwed it in while shaking it till the rattle stopped. hooked it back up, went for a drive and still no control. the boost went passed 15 and i let off.

i came back home and put the box "T" back on, took it out for a drive, and it held at 10psi with the slight fluctuation. came to the conclusion that my hoses are good, but something is not right with the boost controller. i know it has to be on my end, but i can't figure out what's wrong.

i turned in both adjustments all the way, then backed them off according to the instructions and still no control.

here is a picture of how i have it. the box "T" is connected in the picture.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hey man this is off topic but could you help a newbie out, i bought one of those ebay mbc and had acouple questions.
1) the T box that came with the MBC has arrow says its going to the WG but can i hook up a boost gauge to that T ?
2) also is it ok to run 2 T's on the 1 line going from the WG to the Turbo Housing?
One T for the 2nd line to connect MBC, and another T to connect to the BOV. is that ok ?
Old 05-28-2008, 08:31 AM

Default Re: (accord99power)

the BOV must be connected to the intake manifold not the compressor housing. this is because the Vacuum from the intake manifold pulls the BOV open when the throttle plate closes causing the differential in pressure from the intake manifold to the charge piping/compressor housing.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

any ideas?!!?!?????????!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?! i'm stumped. i don't know what to do.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what wastegate is it?

ive had 3 different cars come for dyno that had ebay tial knock off gates. they would hold just fine at spring pressure....but if you attempted to turn the boost up any, it would just skyrocket. swapped them out with real tial gates and they worked just fine after that. same boost controller
Old 05-28-2008, 08:50 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondamn1320 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my setup consists of, XS Power Twisted Ram Manifold, Ebay Wastegate, T3/To4e .63hot/.50cold turbo, 3in open downpipe to the rear of the motor, B16a w/ LS transmission, Skunk 2 Intake Manifold. if you need to know anything else, let me know.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 05-28-2008, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Having trouble controlling boost... (mike@synapse motorsport)

yea i was too lazy to read that part haha.

my money is on that
Old 05-28-2008, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Having trouble controlling boost... (Turbo-charged)

well a friend of mine has a tial 38mm gate that he isn't using atm, maybe i can borrow that and try it out. won't be for a couple days though.

anyone else have any ideas?
Old 05-28-2008, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks man!
Old 05-28-2008, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (accord99power)

any other ideas?!?!?!?!
Old 05-28-2008, 02:08 PM
official honda whore

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondamn1320 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">any other ideas?!?!?!?!</TD></TR></TABLE>

you were told everything that could be told, check with a good wg (tial) and report back, its either how you hooked it up or the w/g if you think its hooked up correctly try the wastegate
Old 05-28-2008, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EARLdaSQUIRREL)

is the bottom of the wg going to the compressor housing ?

does the Boost controler go to the top ?
Old 05-28-2008, 04:25 PM

Default Re: (DaveF)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbodano &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am sure you are not hooking it up correctly. Read the instructions very carefully about vacuum line routing.

Did you tee into the fuel pressure regulator line for your boost controller?<u> If so take that off right away before you hurt your engine.</u> </TD></TR></TABLE>

why is that? i just bought and installed a greddy profec spec 2 that way. Thats what the directions said.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DaveF)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DaveF &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is the bottom of the wg going to the compressor housing ?

does the Boost controler go to the top ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

are you talking about the bottom port? i have a hose running from the compressor housing, to the correct nipple on the controller. then from the controller's second nipple to the bottom port on the wastegate.

it's not an electric boost controller, so i don't think i have to use the top port. it's manual with an electric second stage solenoid.

i guess i have to wait a few days till my buddy gets back in to town and see if he'll let me borrow his tial gate. if not, i have another friend that has a knock-off gate boosting 15psi w/ a 7lb spring in there.

i'll update in a few days, see if i can pinpoint the problem.

Quick Reply: Having trouble controlling boost...