Notices

has anyone ever used this/ does it work?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default has anyone ever used this/ does it work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TURBO...1%7C240%3A1318

just was wondering if anyone has used this and if they did how did it work and if you havent seen it what do yall think?
Old 04-01-2009, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: has anyone ever used this/ does it work?

I haven't have any issue with mine.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks like a copy of the golden eagle one. Should work fine. I bought a gauge pod from them. It has worked fine for me so far. Not bad for the one year warranty.

A little advise: do NOT hook up an electronic oil pressure sender to that thing unless you want a mess and a broken heart.

If this is for a VTEC conversion, I would just get the golden eagle conversion kit.

I have learned that when it comes especially to motors, you get what you pay for.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have been using it for 2 years. when you put it on though just make sure the little rubber seal is properly sealed. just check underneath when you first start the car.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a greddy one and works fine.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

There are 2 types of oil adapters:

1) Cheap units that give you UNfiltered oil. This can easily RUIN YOUR TURBO.
2) Not cheap units that feed filtered oil from the center hole.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by aasarsak
A little advise: do NOT hook up an electronic oil pressure sender to that thing unless you want a mess and a broken heart.
Why do you say that? I got a blox adapter and im planning on running my oil pressure sensor off of it.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cockerkid008
Why do you say that? I got a blox adapter and im planning on running my oil pressure sensor off of it.

You must not have very much experience with broken brass fittings.

Brass fittings HATE vibration mixed with heat.

I have mine remotely mounted away from the engine, near the firewall.

I have had to replace one before because the brass fitting broke off when it was mounted to a fitting near the engine block.

For any oil line, you should tap the block directly from a separate location, then run a line away from the block, and then tee into it as needed...
Old 04-02-2009, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You must not have very much experience with broken brass fittings.

Brass fittings HATE vibration mixed with heat.

I have mine remotely mounted away from the engine, near the firewall.

I have had to replace one before because the brass fitting broke off when it was mounted to a fitting near the engine block.

For any oil line, you should tap the block directly from a separate location, then run a line away from the block, and then tee into it as needed...
i have run my oil pressure sender from my greddy adapter for over 2 years without any issues.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well, it took my ls/vtec oil feed line T-fitting 5 years to break, so it's just a matter of time.

I'm not saying that it will definitely break, I'm just saying that it is safer to mount it away from the engine. Even if you look at the installation instructions for the autometer electric oil pressure gauge, it says that it is better to mount the sender unit away from the engine.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I broke my first brass fittings quite a few years ago, took a couple of weeks...thought it was just a fluke, put a second one on and broke on the first pass....thats when I decided to mount everything remotely...brass sucks
Old 04-02-2009, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HiProfile
There are 2 types of oil adapters:

1) Cheap units that give you UNfiltered oil. This can easily RUIN YOUR TURBO.
2) Not cheap units that feed filtered oil from the center hole.
yea i also have an ebay turbo that i have had the drain line kinked for the first 3 days, have 25,000miles of used nasty gunk oil and have beaten on it almost everyday(DD). turbo still holds up fine. have you had first hand experience? i probably wouldnt run the oil Temperature Sensor off of it just of fear of it breaking off. this is a solid unit though.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:36 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by 90civichbsi
i have run my oil pressure sender from my greddy adapter for over 2 years without any issues.
The Greddy / Blitz units don't use brass at all. That's probably why we haven't seen any issues. I have one on my NA car with the Defi Guages.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by big-cat
have you had first hand experience?
With filter oil? Tons. With unfiltered oil? Well let me just suggest this - run your ENTIRE motor w/o a filter. I mean if your unfiltered oil is good enough for a 100,000 rpm turbo shaft, it shouldn't have the slightest issue with a 'slow' 8,000 rpm crankshaft. Not only that, but you'll gain some pressure, you can't lose. PS - next time you disassemble a motor, take a look at the oil pick-up screen, you'll understand when you see it.

The fact remains that many people have had turbos shat the bed because of gunk in their bearings, or plugging the inlet. Although w/o people doing that, what would all the turbo rebuilders do for business??
Old 04-04-2009, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HiProfile
With filter oil? Tons. With unfiltered oil? Well let me just suggest this - run your ENTIRE motor w/o a filter. I mean if your unfiltered oil is good enough for a 100,000 rpm turbo shaft, it shouldn't have the slightest issue with a 'slow' 8,000 rpm crankshaft. Not only that, but you'll gain some pressure, you can't lose. PS - next time you disassemble a motor, take a look at the oil pick-up screen, you'll understand when you see it.

The fact remains that many people have had turbos shat the bed because of gunk in their bearings, or plugging the inlet. Although w/o people doing that, what would all the turbo rebuilders do for business??
Hey i am just letting you know my personal experience you can disagree if you want, that is entirely your own oppinion and I encourage that but my oil is black and nasty looking and I have been running all this on a stock d16y7 to boot that has been putting out 200ish whp for over 2 years. blah blah my point is. this glowshift product gets the job done and you dont have to worry about it. as long as you change your oil the reccomended amount of times. You will be fine using my car as an example.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

any reason as to why you are purposely not changing your oil?
Old 04-04-2009, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey i am just letting you know my personal experience you can disagree if you want, that is entirely your own oppinion and I encourage that but my oil is black and nasty looking and I have been running all this on a stock d16y7 to boot that has been putting out 200ish whp for over 2 years. blah blah my point is. this glowshift product gets the job done and you dont have to worry about it. as long as you change your oil the reccomended amount of times. You will be fine using my car as an example.

let me know when you have a $1400 turbo on your car if your willing to chance a plugged feed line or contaminated bearings just to save $50 on a poorly designed product. Im not saying you will have an issue with it blowing off or breaking into pieces, but it feeds unfiltered oil. Whether its for a ls-v or a turbo, its not a good idea.

2years now on 10lbs, the oil has not been changed for 20k+ miles. got to love the single cams.
Lmao at your sig....you're actually proud that you dont or cant do basic maintance on a vehicle....way to go buddy
Old 04-05-2009, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes I am not running a $1400 turbo lol why would you unless you are shooting to break records.

I am not changing my oil because 1. i have a d16a6 with eagle/vitara set up and a fully built z6 head with skunk 2 springs supertech titanium vavles and retainers, with a zex 59300 cam, aem cam gear. the tranny is a stock z6 with obx lsd, act 6 puck that is rated for 350ft lbs. the turbo is holset hy35 which we are shooting to break the vitara record with but the turbo might not be big enough.

2. I like to not be a bitch and abuse my motors and see what they can take . that is the reason i have not changed my oil because i have that other motor that is going to be dropped in soon but i want to see what this y7 can do. the ebay turbo has lasted for all of this as well. So many haters on here. do i need to take pics of my oil lol, or the motor?

funny how my holset turbo cost me $177 and we are shooting for 500whp with a d16, i guess it just goes to show you that you dont need a $1400 turbo to break records.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I can tell you I sure as hell will not take any advice from a guy with a boosted motor that has not changed his oil for 20k miles, and then brags about it.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Maybe i am testing my oil. mobil 1 10w30 good stuff. my buddy has a ford ranger and he has not changed the oil on it since 1999 still his DD and runs fine, sometimes needs a push start but still.

I am not asking you to take my advice, nor am I asking the other person to listen to you because you have no experience towards his question. I would hope for everyones sake that to stay on topic that iwanttogofast would listen to someone with experience rather than someone who sits on his *** and talks ****.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea i also have an ebay turbo that i have had the drain line kinked for the first 3 days, have 25,000miles of used nasty gunk oil and have beaten on it almost everyday(DD). turbo still holds up fine. have you had first hand experience? i probably wouldnt run the oil Temperature Sensor off of it just of fear of it breaking off. this is a solid u
nit though.

you guys talk **** if you want to. I personally think H-T needs guys like this. I mean, who else is willing to put their DD on the line for the rest of us to know what the ACTUAL service limit is of a particular setup.

Hearing this type of info. makes me not feel so bad if I go a couple hundred miles over 3,000 between oil changes because thanks to guys like big cat, I now know that my stuff will probably be fine.

While I would not personally put my own car through such abuse, I am certainly grateful that there is someone out threre willing to test the limits for the rest of us.

*EDIT I don't think the OP is following this thread any more BTW.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hearing this type of info. makes me not feel so bad if I go a couple hundred miles over 3,000 between oil changes because thanks to guys like big cat, I now know that my stuff will probably be fine.
Thats just dumb as hell, you actually think if you go over a couple of hundred miles you can damage something???? cmon man, you have to know more than that. most manufacturers dont even recommend 3000 miles anymore, its usually closer to 5 or 6 thousand.

IMO if you think neglecting to change the oil is going to prove anything then you are an idiot too. And in all honesty you wont see any noticable difference for several 10s of thousands of miles....assuming you check the level and keep it full.

this is kinda funny
Originally Posted by bigcat
d16y7 to boot that has been putting out 200ish whp for over 2 years
but now your trying for 500whp on a SOHC with old nasty oil..lmao...the only thing you have done to it is a cam, the rest of that **** is to keep it from blowing apart and to handle higher revs...you got a long way to go to get 500whp, best of luck to ya. seriously, its cool to see things done outside the box, but pretty pointless IMO if it can be done cheaper and easier another way.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I normally always take the oil in my DD's to 5k or so using a Bosch Filter, most of my mileage is highway anyway so in my eyes that justifies it. But going 3x to 5x what not only the manufacturer recommends and what oil companies recommend is just senseless IMO, its not like your moving into uncharted territiories, I am sure there have been people doing this same thing for years. I knew a girl that bought a brand new Civic in 01 and 29k miles later I was talking to her and she never even knew she had to change the oil in her motor, it still ran..... well it smoked but ran. Point being regular maintenance is a key piece to making an engine last, stretching 15k+ miles on oil is just senseless and shows disregard for property, your not proving anything your just running your engine into the ground, a few quarts of oil cost the same as a few Happy Meals from McDonalds, why not change it? Its people like this that make me NEVER want to buy a used car.....ever
Old 04-05-2009, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow, I was just being sarcastic. Some of you guys have the sense of humor of a human corpse! LOL
Old 04-05-2009, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i bought this one over a year ago. great price, nice unit.

http://www.spoolinperformance.com/bl...466e5861d2742e

Quick Reply: has anyone ever used this/ does it work?