Notices

GT turbos and blow by???

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT turbos and oil misting from the BOV???

I’ve debated about asking this, but after multiple searches and no REAL answers, what the heck…so here it is...

I after hard runs I tend to build up a lot of blow by that is then pushed out of my BOV. I have a GT28RS ball bearing turbo and am running a restrictor. The turbo doesn’t whine, it builds boost, and functions as it always has. The car runs flawlessly minus some considerable blow by (It currently has about 6,000 miles on it). Also I was at an event over the weekend and talked to an RX-7 driver running a single GT35 and he was having the same problem with excessive blow by. He had installed a Greddy catch can before the event and his blow by was reduced considerably. Is it common for the GT series turbos to have noticeable blow by?

I basically am trying to compile some more experience with these turbos. I have an Endyne catch can that have neglected to install yet…this may or may not help any thoughts?
My hypothesis is the oil collects in my I/C tubing and then is forced out…so it makes it look worse then it really is (seems a bit obvious…eh?). Basically I am looking to reduce the amount of blow by so positive and useful comments and thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time

Modified by infulleffect at 10:09 AM 6/3/2007
Old 05-31-2007, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GT turbos and blow by??? (infulleffect)

You're not on a stock PCV system by any chance?
Old 05-31-2007, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GT turbos and blow by??? (Oyvind Ryeng)

Yes I have had my Endyne catch can sitting in a box for months now and have not had a chance to install it So I am still running the stock PCV system. Hopefully that changes this weekend.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:43 AM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How could you connect blow-by with a specific turbo? Blow-by occurs at the piston rings. There is nothing special about "GT turbos" that would cause unusual blowby.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GT turbos and blow by??? (Muckman)

Then please enlighten me sir (Muckman) with what the technical term would be for oil residue in my I/C plumbing (that mists out of my BOV). Thank you.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:49 AM

All of the Garrett GT ball bearing turbos already come with restrictors out of the box. You didn't add another one, did you?
Old 05-31-2007, 07:59 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Muckman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How could you connect blow-by with a specific turbo? Blow-by occurs at the piston rings. There is nothing special about "GT turbos" that would cause unusual blowby.</TD></TR></TABLE>

My thoughts exactly....

I dont think i'm fully understanding your complaint though....oil residue in your IC piping generally means your turbo is fucked....especially a GT series that can't be rebuilt....
Old 05-31-2007, 08:28 AM
New User

How is your return line? Is it kinked ? Is it gravity fed? Try taking it off make sure it isn't clogged or restricted. My old Drag 3 turbo set up we welded the return bung on and it was pretty angled and my **** used to smoked after running it and sitting at idle. Good luck
Old 05-31-2007, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

blowby comes out of your valve cover, your symptoms are something different.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my gt3582r does the same thing, leaves a slight coating of oil inside of the charge pipes/ IC.
I think its normal though, but then I don't know. After several hard runs when the air filter is removed there are slight of oil resisdue at the compressor housing too!
Turbo still works great though......
Old 05-31-2007, 01:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re:

Pressure in the crankcase means the turbo's having a hard time draining oil into th pan, since it's gravity drained. Positive pressure in the pan will provide upwards pressure on the drain tube. If part or all of the drain is under oil, especially under a slosh, it can force a plug of oil up the drain tube. Causes oil to back up in the center section and force past the turbo seals into the piping.

Fix your PCV system, problem should go away.

That's just how I see it, I'm happy to be corrected, but as soon as I fixed my PCV system I no longer had this problem either
Old 05-31-2007, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Directly from the fact source...wikipedia

In a four-stroke engine, the crankcase is filled mainly with air and oil, and is largely sealed off from the fuel/air mixture by the pistons.

Oil circulation
Oil circulation is kept separate from the fuel/air mixture, thereby preserving oil rather than burning it as happens in two-stroke engines. Oil moves from its reservoir, is pressurized by an oil pump, and is pumped through the oil filter to remove grit. The oil is then squirted into the crankshaft and connecting rod bearings and onto the cylinder walls, and eventually drips off into the bottom of the crankcase. In a wet sump system, oil remains in a reservoir at the bottom of the crankcase, referred to as the oil pan. In a dry sump system, oil is instead pumped to an external reservoir.

Even in a wet sump system, the crankshaft has minimal contact with the sump oil. Otherwise, the high-speed rotation of the crankshaft would cause the oil to froth, making it difficult for the oil pump to move the oil, which can starve the engine of lubrication. Small amounts of oil may splash onto the crankshaft during rough driving, referred to as windage.

In a wet sump system, the main dipstick and oil filler cap connect to the crankcase.

Air ventilation
During normal operation, a small amount of unburned fuel and exhaust gases escape around the piston rings and enter the crankcase, referred to as "blow-by". If these gases remained in the crankcase and condensed, the oil would become more diluted over time, decreasing its ability to lubricate. Condensed water would also cause parts of the engine to rust. To counter this, a crankcase ventilation system exists to draw fresh air in from the air filter and expel the gases out the PCV valve into the intake manifold. The intake manifold is at a lower pressure than the crankcase, providing the suction to keep the ventilation system going.

If an engine is damaged or enters old age, gaps can form between the cylinder walls and pistons, resulting in larger amounts of blow-by than the crankcase ventilation system can handle. The gaps cause power loss, and ultimately mean that the engine needs to be rebuilt or replaced. Symptoms of excessive blow-by include oil being pushed up into the air filter, out the dipstick, or out the PCV valve.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:53 PM

Get a adjustable restrictor, install oil pressure gauge after restrictor, before turbo.
adjust so @ wot you have 60psi or less on turbo seals. Remove gauge. Oil in the charge pipes should be way less.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:20 PM
New User

Default Re: GT turbos and blow by??? (Ubertec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ubertec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Get a adjustable restrictor, install oil pressure gauge after restrictor, before turbo.
adjust so @ wot you have 60psi or less on turbo seals. Remove gauge. Oil in the charge pipes should be way less.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rod Short &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">All of the Garrett GT ball bearing turbos already come with restrictors out of the box. You didn't add another one, did you?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 05-31-2007, 02:27 PM

Default Re: GT turbos and blow by??? (Boostfed.com)

Just posting how I solved my problem. My gt17 came with a restrictor but using-4an line it just had too much flow. So I added another ADJUSTABLE one and it works great
Old 05-31-2007, 02:54 PM
New User

Default Re: GT turbos and blow by??? (Ubertec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ubertec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just posting how I solved my problem. My gt17 came with a restrictor but using-4an line it just had too much flow. So I added another ADJUSTABLE one and it works great</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ah. I have always used -3 anyways soo....
Old 05-31-2007, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This thread actually is working out to be pretty helpful. My apologies for the misleading thread title, I wasn't sure how to word my problem.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostfed.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How is your return line? Is it kinked ? Is it gravity fed? Try taking it off make sure it isn't clogged or restricted. My old Drag 3 turbo set up we welded the return bung on and it was pretty angled and my **** used to smoked after running it and sitting at idle. Good luck </TD></TR></TABLE>

Pic of return line...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rod Short &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">All of the Garrett GT ball bearing turbos already come with restrictors out of the box. You didn't add another one, did you?</TD></TR></TABLE>

When I ordered the turbo I had them send me the recommended oil feed line...I realize that the GT series turbos have a built in restrictor, but I was under the impression they needed a restrictor too...I installed what they gave...I will double check to see if there is a restrictor there.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by raene &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Pressure in the crankcase means the turbo's having a hard time draining oil into th pan, since it's gravity drained. Positive pressure in the pan will provide upwards pressure on the drain tube. If part or all of the drain is under oil, especially under a slosh, it can force a plug of oil up the drain tube. Causes oil to back up in the center section and force past the turbo seals into the piping.

Fix your PCV system, problem should go away.

That's just how I see it, I'm happy to be corrected, but as soon as I fixed my PCV system I no longer had this problem either </TD></TR></TABLE>

This is what I am leaning towards and hope to find my fix here...if not it looks like new Turblow or...
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ubertec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Get a adjustable restrictor, install oil pressure gauge after restrictor, before turbo.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank you...all responses appreciated
Old 05-31-2007, 05:39 PM
New User

After the first post I shlould have asked, what is the motor set up? Is it stock pistons or aftermarket? What kind of tune? If you broke your ring lands you would have bad blow by BUT it would be all the time
Old 05-31-2007, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Boostfed.com)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostfed.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">After the first post I shlould have asked, what is the motor set up? Is it stock pistons or aftermarket? What kind of tune? If you broke your ring lands you would have bad blow by BUT it would be all the time</TD></TR></TABLE>

No smoke...just oil misting from the BOV. I am running the stock pistons and rings with the head bolted down with some ARP studs.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:06 PM
Moderator in Chief

Default Re: GT turbos and blow by??? (Rod Short)

Why does ATP sell oil restrictors specifically for GT turbos if your not supposed to use it in addition to the one built in?

http://www.atpturbo.com/Mercha...=GTBB

And to the OP, the technical term for what you have is BLOWN TURBO SEALS.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:10 PM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Muckman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why does ATP sell "GT oil feed restrictors" if your not supposed to use it in addition to the one built in?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why does Eagle sell stock sized cranks?

Well on a more serious note, if you notice it has a -4 inlet so if using a -4 line this is needed BUT I feel and have been told that a -3 will suffice
Old 05-31-2007, 06:17 PM
Moderator in Chief

I see your point but this is different being that ATP is a HUGE Garrett distributor and they would not recommend or sell a product that would harm their product. How long do you think a dealership would be in bussiness if they filled your gas tank up with diseal?
Old 05-31-2007, 06:18 PM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Muckman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I see your point but this is different being that ATP is a HUGE Garrett distributor and they would not recommend or sell a product that would harm their product. How long do you think a dealership would be in bussiness if they filled your tank up with diseal?</TD></TR></TABLE>

When was the last time you have been to a dealer and they offered you Undercoating?
Old 05-31-2007, 07:39 PM
Moderator in Chief

Yes but it doesnt destroy the product. Thats what Rod was insinuating by using an oil restrictor on a GT turbo.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:32 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Muckman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why does ATP sell oil restrictors specifically for GT turbos if your not supposed to use it in addition to the one built in?

http://www.atpturbo.com/Mercha...=GTBB

And to the OP, the technical term for what you have is BLOWN TURBO SEALS.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would like to know this as well, preferebly from Rod Short or someone that knows what the hell their talking about.

DOES THE GARRETT VERSION OF THE GT35R HAVE A BUILT IN RESTRICTOR THAT WORKS WELL ENOUGH FOR A HONDA MOTOR OR NOT!!

See Below

Quick Reply: GT turbos and blow by???