Notices

Greddy's Blue box

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2001, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Greddy's Blue box

This is more of a "thoughts on paper" post than a question, but it should shed some light on Greddy's FCU "blue box"

I have the kit in my brother's '95 GSR. This was before they rereleased the kit for the OBDI cars. The problem with the kit, is that it throws a code and forces the engine into limp mode. Nothing bad came of it, just a really low "false" redline. Okay, Greddy spends over a year on the problem and the solution? A new set of injectors.

When I spoke to the technical staff, they said that the problem came from the fact that when the injectors neared the 100% duty cycle point, the ECU didn't like it and threw the faulty injector code. The fix was to install injectors with a higher resistance in an attempt to fool the ECU. Well, it didn't work. Now, the injectors, the ECU and the FCU are on their way to Greddy for them to test.

Here's the brainstorm. I've done a tremendous amount of research in engine building and tuning. It's to my understanding, that running injectors at 100% is not good. Almost bad. With that in mind, why the hell is Greddy running the 310cc injectors at 100%?

Why didn't they incorporate even larger injectors, say 440cc, and a rising rate fuel pressure regulator. That way, they could shorten the duty cycle and increase fuel pressure to support the larger injectors. This setup would not increaset the kit price by much and would be far more reliable.

Am I wrong in my thinking? Is Greddy using the public as it's guinea pig?

More than likely, if the equipment has been repaired, my brother will sell off the injectors and FCU and go with the Hondata ECU. Going with factory like control seems like the smartest method for street use.

Thanks for listening to my thoughts.
Old 09-13-2001, 03:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Greddy's Blue box (civicgsr)

Do you think that using the kit with the stock ECU and stock Injectors would help this problem? Also, some said that they were getting the codes, and when he got them he soldered all the connections and shrinkwrapped them and said he hasn't gotten the code since. He claims that if it's not soldered the voltage or whatever going through the wires could drop, thus causing a problem, thus causing the code.
do you think this could be true?

thanks
Trey
Old 09-14-2001, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Greddy's Blue box (HondaCutter)

You are using the stock ECU with the piggy back FCU. The stock injectors would not help. The FCU takes the boost readings from the MAP sensor and adusts duty cycle accordingly while it sends the factory ECU a signal that it likes (Vac to 0, and no boost). If you were to run the ECU by itself, you would get and error code from the MAP reading boost and the ECU would not know what to do with it. That's where the Hondata ECU comes in handy.

The problem with the soldered wires came up in '96 and up GSR's. The codes they got were misfired codes that were virtually harmless. Other than the code, nothing else happen.

The OBDI problem was far more extreme, but still not detrimental.

Bottom line, Greddy didn't do the best that they could have....