Notices

Good wideband??

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Good wideband??

What is a good wideband O2 gauge set up?? I have been out of things for a little while. When I was last involved the AEM UEGO was the best but $$$. Anything new or less costly come out in the last few years???
Old 12-18-2011, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Good wideband??

innovative lc-1 is a good one man, but what you are going to get is a bunch of opinions
Old 12-18-2011, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats what I am looking for. I want to know what everyone is using these days. As I said the AEM was the only way to go when I took a break from the scene.
Oh I am running a S100 so I want a gauge style wideband for real time monitoring.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have had a few tuners tell me AEM isnt the best thing to use, and i am on an AEM-EMS i was reccomended by all of them the innovative lc-1
Old 12-18-2011, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok good to know, thats why I asked the AEM UEGO was the best at the time.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

innovate mtx-l.... they all use the same sensor...but mtxl is all digital...quicker response..working good for me..
Old 12-18-2011, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Aem is just fine. I have an AEM and an innovate lc-1 and innovate lm-1. They all use the same bosch sensor and plug. Ive had the oldest aem out and i have a newer unit. the older unit burned through sensors and was about .2 off from the new unit. the new aem unit reads exactly the same as my lm-1 and lc-1 on my setup.

i will add that the responce time on the innovate units is quicker than the aem unit but i actually dont care for my wideband bouncing all over the place and have since changed settings in my lc-1 which is perm. in my car so it reads same speed as the aem unit.

ive tuned quite a few cars and i always run my aem unit in customer cars and it has never failed me yet
Old 12-18-2011, 10:40 AM
met
Honda-Tech Member

My LM1 kills sensors way too fast, 6 months tops. It can be real bitchy if the sensor is located in the wrong place, gets too hot. I am not sure if these other companies are better or not. My thought is these sensors are installed stock in some cars and go years with zero problems. I wouldn't buy an innovative product again I would try my luck with someone else. There is a lot more to this story I will leave it at this.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the knock on the aem was not reading correctly now this was a year or 2 ago that i did ask, and was told the information i got. the newer aem units should be better since you are always suppose to improved your product so you can market more(nake more money) so i would think they are better now a days.

i just got done looking at the new e85 unit they have so im not denouncing them lol
Old 12-18-2011, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

aem wideband is pretty cheap these day. you can get them on ebay for $150 shipped
Old 12-18-2011, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I use an AEM UEGO and it works just fine for me. It reads pretty much dead on when we were tuning. I had an Innovate LC-1, and I didn't like it because of all of the calibration issues. It'll fall out of calibration and then you have to calibrate it again, and it was just a pain. AEM in plug and play, which I like lol.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hate the LC-1, such a pain. Not a fan of the AEM either.

I have the MTX-L in my daily though, great little sensor and much easier to set up.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Aem gets it done. I dont see what $200 is so much about its a quality piece
Old 12-18-2011, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

AEM here. Love it. Not one problem over the last 2 years.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Innovate widebands are a pain if you ask me... for a honda based ecu I would use a plx... if you want the best wideband in the world get a prologger hands down fastest sampling unit on the planet. The o2 sensors last a long time too I have seen some last a couple years in street cars on gasoline and e85, when you get into leaded fuels is when you have problems.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by met
My LM1 kills sensors way too fast, 6 months tops. It can be real bitchy if the sensor is located in the wrong place, gets too hot. I am not sure if these other companies are better or not. My thought is these sensors are installed stock in some cars and go years with zero problems. I wouldn't buy an innovative product again I would try my luck with someone else. There is a lot more to this story I will leave it at this.
5 years and still good. Same sensor. I changed to MTX-L and use LM1 for other cars, MTX-L reads same with new sensor.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is a great right up, it is important to understand that the Innovate product is the only thing out there with its own digital sensor control technology. The other manufacturers out there use a sensor control chip that Bosch designed over a decade ago. They all rely on the fix calibration resistor located on the sensor body itself, this is "limited" in accuracy to be kind to the other companies that offer devices that utilize the LSU4.2 oxygen sensor.

The following writeup references the Bosch technical document specifically pertaining to the LSU4.2, its wear schedule and its degradation in accuracy over time. The Innovate product is the only product on the market that can truly compensate for this. I personally run the Innovate MTX-L in my car, utilizing closed loop.

“Why do I need to calibrate the O2 sensor with Innovate products?”

Innovate Motorsports is the only wideband O2 device manufacturer on the market that allows the user to field calibrate the O2 sensor. Our patented sensor calibration allows compensation for the two main causes of inaccurate air/fuel ratio data; sensor wear and altitude. The alternative to calibrating your sensor in the field is to rely on the sensor’s Bosch factory calibration. The Bosch factory sensor calibration is done using a fixed atmospheric pressure value that may be incorrect for your location from the start!

Sensor Wear

Most popular wideband systems, including Innovate, utilize the Bosch LSU 4.2 wideband O2 sensor. This sensor has an integrated calibration resistor located in the connector on the plug end. Like all sensors in a vehicle, O2 sensors wear over time and being able to recalibrate the sensor is the only way to ensure continued accuracy. Innovate Motorsports is the ONLY wideband controller manufacturer that makes it possible for the sensor to be recalibrated because we do not rely on or utilize the Bosch calibration resistor. Without the ability to calibrate, your wideband will continue to rely on the Bosch factory pre-calibrated resistor settings as your sensor wears. The results of doing so have been published by Bosch in a technical document referenced below:
LSU test bench at constant 20 degC gas temp and constant 14.7 PSI ambient.
New After 500hr test bench run After 2000hr test bench run
Calibrated measurement gas
for 24.99 AFR 24.99 ± .73 AFR 24.99 ± 1.47 AFR 24.99 ± 2.20 AFR
Calibrated measurement gas
for 11.76 AFR 11.76 ± .15 AFR 11.76 ± .29 AFR 11.76 ± .59 AFR

Source: Bosch Y 258 K01 005-000e technical document.

According to the Bosch spec the sensor leaves the factory with a ± margin of error of .15 AFR. In IDEAL lab conditions sensor wear will cause the sensor to drift to an accuracy of ± .29 AFR after approximately 500 hours and ± .59 AFR after approximately 2000 hours. In aftermarket performance applications where engines typically see richer conditions with higher exhaust gas temperatures, the sensor will degrade at a greatly accelerated rate compared to the Bosch spec. Other factors such as detergents, additives in the fuel, sensor placement and lead will also accelerate sensor wear even further.

The Innovate Motorsports patented digital wideband sensor controller technology eliminates any and all inaccuracies caused by sensor wear. The simple and quick free air calibration process will ensure that you have measurements accurate to ± .1 AFR for the life of the sensor.
Innovate Motorsports’ recommended calibration schedule:
Normally aspirated daily driver

Calibrate before installation of the new sensor. Calibrate the sensor again after 3 months of use. Thereafter calibrate once a year or every 20,000 miles, whichever comes first.
Turbo car, daily driver (tuned rich) Calibrate before installation of the new sensor. Calibrate the sensor again after 3 months of use. Thereafter calibrate twice a year or every 10,000 miles, whichever comes first.
Race car (running leaded race fuel)

Calibrate before the new sensor. Calibrate once per race weekend.
Dyno use

Calibrate the new sensor. Calibrate every 2-3 days, depending on usage.

Altitude Compensation

Changes in altitude will also affect the accuracy of the measurements.
It is important to note the Bosch spec tests the accuracy of the sensor at 14.7 PSI atmospheric pressure (sea level). In the same way that the pre-calibrated resistor can not compensate for sensor wear, it can not compensate for changes in altitude. To illustrate how important a difference in altitude we can look at the difference between Innovate Motorsports’ office in Huntington Beach, CA which is at sea level, and Willow Springs Raceway in Rosamond, CA. The difference in altitude is approximately 2400 ft. between the two locations; this will make a difference in your measurements by as much as .2 AFR. If you do not have the ability to calibrate your sensor, and you happen to live in Denver (5280 ft. above sea level), your readings will be incorrect right from the start and will progressively get worse as the sensor degrades.

Conclusion

The purpose of installing a wideband O2 system in a high performance engine is to accurately monitor the engine’s operating air/fuel ratio to ensure maximum performance and safety. If you are using a wideband system that does not allow the sensor to be recalibrated, you are putting your engine at risk. Whether you only perform the simple calibration once when you first install a sensor, or at the recommended intervals; Innovate Motorsports’ patented digital wideband O2 sensor controller technology will ensure that you have the fastest and most accurate wideband instrument available at any price.

The difference between a wideband that does not require calibration and the Innovate Motorsports wideband is ACCURACY."
Old 12-19-2011, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ngk wideband here so far so good. The sensor is much better than Bosch.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.034motorsport.com/034efi-...r-p-21394.html
Old 12-19-2011, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

dude selling a NIB aem for 180
http://www.homemadeturbo.com/showthread.php?t=119237

Last edited by hootiehoo; 12-19-2011 at 10:29 AM. Reason: link