Notices

Which gaskets are a must?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which gaskets are a must?

I currently dont have a gasket between the dp and the turbo and am going to order a few. I might as well get and replace some of the others. Which ones should you have and which ones is it better to leave off, if any?

My Tial gaskets keep burning off. The center of the mesh burns off and I end up just having the wire mesh.

Old 06-28-2004, 04:08 PM

Default Re: Which gaskets are a must? (integra-modder)

EDIT: im suggesting no gaskets betweek the wastegate and manifold , the turbo and manifold, and turbo and downpipe.. this is what i have and theres no leaks , and no problems at all. some people may have leakage problems without gaskets.
Old 06-28-2004, 06:13 PM

Default Re: Which gaskets are a must? (J337_UNIT)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J337_UNIT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

EDIT: im suggesting no gaskets betweek the wastegate and manifold , the turbo and manifold, and turbo and downpipe.. this is what i have and theres no leaks , and no problems at all. some people may have leakage problems without gaskets.</TD></TR></TABLE>

so the only gasket you use is the stock manifold to head gasket?
Old 06-28-2004, 06:16 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: Which gaskets are a must? (J337_UNIT)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J337_UNIT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">EDIT: im suggesting no gaskets betweek the wastegate and manifold , the turbo and manifold, and turbo and downpipe.. this is what i have and theres no leaks , and no problems at all. some people may have leakage problems without gaskets.</TD></TR></TABLE>

How the hell do you NOT have any leaks?
Old 06-28-2004, 09:36 PM

Default Re: Which gaskets are a must? (IslandSi)

In the book, "Max Boost", it says that you dont need gaskets between flat surfaces that will be at the same temperature (ie: Turbo and Manifold). But he did say that it was necessary to have a gasket between the manifold and WG since a heat will shorten the life of the WG.
Old 06-29-2004, 02:47 AM

Do you have a cast iron exhaust manifold or a fabricated one? Cast iron manis don't need a gasket since they're machined true as well as the turbine inlet flange of the turbo. A fabricated mani may require a gasket as the flange may have warped a bit from welding. Same with the DP. a gasket isn't needed so long as the DP flange isn't warped. As for the wastegate gasket, use a Turbonetics Deltagate gasket instead of the Tial piece. Tial wastegates are great, but the gasket blows. Literally.
Old 06-29-2004, 04:01 AM

Default Re: Which gaskets are a must? (turbopimp)

The gasket definately blows on the tial wastegate. I've gone through 2 already.

As far as the other gaskets. I don't have them either and Im not getting any leaks. Just tighten the **** out of those bolts and keep checking them every so often, because they all have a tendancy to eventually come loose.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:48 PM

Default Re: Which gaskets are a must? (patdemps)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by patdemps &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The gasket definately blows on the tial wastegate. I've gone through 2 already.

As far as the other gaskets. I don't have them either and Im not getting any leaks. Just tighten the **** out of those bolts and keep checking them every so often, because they all have a tendancy to eventually come loose. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Im on the second and its already shitty and screen like....

I started to hear a louder exhuast sound while at cruise, went under the hood and saw that only 1 bolt was holding in the DP, two were loose, and 1 was missing. After that, I thread lock and antisieze every bolt.

So you guys suggest using a delta gate gasket?

This is what ATP Turbo has to offer: It looks like a normal Tial Gasket with a metallic ring around the inside.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:52 PM
Brrraaaap!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bump cause I would like to hear some more input as well....

Blaze
Old 06-29-2004, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You don't need a gasket for the wastegate to the manifold as long as both flanges are flat. I don't have one either. Runs perfect, no leaks at all. Everything else i have gaskets for.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:34 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by integra-modder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

So you guys suggest using a delta gate gasket?

This is what ATP Turbo has to offer: It looks like a normal Tial Gasket with a metallic ring around the inside.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Those are Deltagate gaskets... just pick them up wherever you find the best deal.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

As long as the gasket has a metal fire ring, it should not blow out. Also, do not over tighten the flange bolts as over crushing the fire ring will cause leaks and eventually cause them to blow out as well.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:09 AM

Default Re: Which gaskets are a must? (pngfolife)

Is there a torque spec for cranking down the wastegate? Tial specifically?

What Alchemist quoted from Max Boost makes sense. The WG is designed for high temperatures but the gaskets that comes with them is made not to crate a seal but to keep the two surfaces apart from each other, this is why is the screen/mesh type gasket. So a WG gasket is a good thing to have for your WG.

Anyone have any reasons why you should or shouldnt use any other gaskets other than what turbopimp already said about flat or warped surfaces.

Old 07-01-2004, 01:45 AM

ttt
Old 07-01-2004, 01:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by integra-modder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is there a torque spec for cranking down the wastegate? Tial specifically?

What Alchemist quoted from Max Boost makes sense. The WG is designed for high temperatures but the gaskets that comes with them is made not to crate a seal but to keep the two surfaces apart from each other, this is why is the screen/mesh type gasket. So a WG gasket is a good thing to have for your WG.

Anyone have any reasons why you should or shouldnt use any other gaskets other than what turbopimp already said about flat or warped surfaces.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I didn't use gaskets for the mani to turbo or for the turbo to dp. You can use the w/g gasket with Tial if you want, but not required. Just make sure you install that ring piece the right way on the tial, and yeah, here's a torque spec....tight. Unless it's a rod bolt or something like that I don't bother measuring, I just tighten. Make sure on the Tial though that you alternate bolts when tightening, so it comes down evenly and the ring seats properly.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:02 AM

Default Re: Which gaskets are a must? (Smashback)

I cant get enough boost like I did 7 psi before, I think its because the WG gasket is blow. Before I got .5 bar easily, not it stops around .4
Old 07-01-2004, 12:18 PM

An easy way to check for an exhaust leak is to use a piece of vacuum hose. Put one side to your ear and use the other side to probe around the suspected leak.
Old 07-01-2004, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I never ran any gaskets except Turbo manifold to head. The others never leaked. . .
Old 07-02-2004, 02:57 PM
Brrraaaap!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Which gaskets are a must? (m R g S r)

So you only need a gasket between the exh. ports and the exh manifold n as long as the rest of the flanges are true and flat, you dont need one anywhere like turbo to DP or WG dumptube to wg?

Blaze
Old 07-02-2004, 03:07 PM

Default Re: Which gaskets are a must? (Blaze45)

You don't need gasket between Turbo to DP or WG to dumptube. Even if they leak here it should not affect your boost levels as the gases are already on their way out to atmosphere. If it leaks at WG to Mani then you will have trouble building boost or the turbo will not spool good. As already mentioned if the surfaces are true flat then you should be OK without a WG gasket.
Old 07-02-2004, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you dont need a gasket for the DP to turbo
Old 07-02-2004, 04:25 PM

Default Re: Which gaskets are a must? (m R g S r)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by m R g S r &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I never ran any gaskets except Turbo manifold to head. The others never leaked. . .</TD></TR></TABLE>

ditto
Old 07-02-2004, 05:03 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbopimp &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">An easy way to check for an exhaust leak is to use a piece of vacuum hose. Put one side to your ear and use the other side to probe around the suspected leak.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know the leak is there, I can keep my hand an inch away from the mani-wg gasket and feel exhuast hitting my hand. I just dont want to risk blowing my WG, however, since there are so many that run without, I guess ill just take it out tomorrow and see how she does....ill still end up getting a Deltagate gasket.
Old 07-02-2004, 05:58 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by integra-modder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I know the leak is there, I can keep my hand an inch away from the mani-wg gasket and feel exhuast hitting my hand. </TD></TR></TABLE>

An exhuast leak that severe will affect the spool up of the turbo. Yeah, definately fix that.
Old 07-02-2004, 05:59 PM

3 years and 18psi have told me that running without a gasket inbetween the manifold and wastegate is fine. I have never heard of someone's wastegate failing because they were not using a gasket

Quick Reply: Which gaskets are a must?