Notices

Garrett Turbo help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garrett Turbo help?

any garrett turbo rebuilders or any big turbo builders please chime in. should i get this wheel replaced or just run it? i had no problems with boosting and and its just the very very tips. no material is missing and this turbo spins to 30psi. the turbo is a gt35r .82 a/r

[/
Old 03-12-2007, 09:06 PM

Default Re: Garrett Turbo help? (Mr HYDE)

Old 03-13-2007, 01:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i'd like to know to, i have the same damage on my Gt30R. Still spins like a champ.
The only thing i can emagine is that the turbo's life will be a lil bit shorter due to a slight inbalance.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:46 AM

Default Re: (dutchaccord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr HYDE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">[B]
[/</TD></TR></TABLE>
Sorry I can't help but,
How does that happen? It looks like it was heat related.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JoePSI)

I would also like to know , I had a turbonetics turbo do the same thing a couple years back ,
Old 03-13-2007, 08:09 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JoePSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Sorry I can't help but,
How does that happen? It looks like it was heat related.</TD></TR></TABLE>

as far as i know it was the piece of the manifold that cracked off and probably fell into the turbo but not a 100% sure. i saw this when i pulled the housing off to have it coated

ttt
Old 03-13-2007, 08:11 AM

Default Re: (dutchaccord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dutchaccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'd like to know to, i have the same damage on my Gt30R. Still spins like a champ.
The only thing i can emagine is that the turbo's life will be a lil bit shorter due to a slight inbalance. </TD></TR></TABLE>

thats what i was wondering i mean it didnt loose any material and its just the very very tips of the fins
Old 03-13-2007, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump for an answer. Can this be avoided???? How long was this 35R used before it got in this condition???
Old 03-13-2007, 08:14 AM

Default Re: (dansred2000si)

it only spun for maybe 6 months, i had so many problems with my one-fab manifold i didnt get to enjoy it. im 99.9% sure the manifold always cracking caused this, probably dropped debree into the turbo. doesnt look super serious tho, my fins are all in tact and there was no scrapping or sign of it. only reason i noticed it was cuz i took the housing off. hell i might have never known

it looks like something feel into it but was kicked out in before any serious damage was done. unless this is just normal wear on a turbo lol im not sure
Old 03-13-2007, 09:10 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its too bad that BB CHRAs cant be rebuilt....if its bad enough to warrant replacement, its a lot of $$.....
Old 03-13-2007, 09:25 AM

Default Re: (Schister66)

they wouldnt warranty this would they?
Old 03-13-2007, 10:43 AM
On Fire!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Mr HYDE)

I'm not sure that they would rebuild that under warranty but they will rebuild the entire turbo for $550, and thats a fact!
Old 03-13-2007, 12:21 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: (Adi Radoncic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Adi Radoncic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm not sure that they would rebuild that under warranty but they will rebuild the entire turbo for $550, and thats a fact!</TD></TR></TABLE>

That can't be rebuilt without removing the Turbine wheel/shaft. once that's done.... there's no point. tolerances are off, and you might as well get a new CHRA.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mr Wonderfull)

So....would just a balancing cut it?
Old 03-13-2007, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (awdgsx96)

I would just replace the turbin wheel/shaft.

It's going to be slightly out of balance, which will make the bearings wear quickly. I had a piece of manifold go through my turbo and took a small chunk out of one of the fins, within a few weeks the bearings had worn so much that the wheels started contacting the housings at full boost.

Once it's out of balance enough for the wheels to hit the housings, it's pretty much downhill in a hurry to complete turbo failure. I would repair it before that happens if I were you.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:16 PM
On Fire!

Default Re: (Mr Wonderfull)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr Wonderfull &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Heat related my ***..lol, seriously, you can see the divits from the impact of the foriegn material on the fins.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I got a quote for $550 from turbos direct to get my gt42r rebuilt that has compressor blades missing.. Garrett changed their policy on rebuilds for the bb units about 2 months ago. I'm no expert, thats just what I was told.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Adi Radoncic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Adi Radoncic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I got a quote for $550 from turbos direct to get my gt42r rebuilt that has compressor blades missing.. Garrett changed their policy on rebuilds for the bb units about 2 months ago. I'm no expert, thats just what I was told.</TD></TR></TABLE>

do you have contact information for this company, as we have a 42r, that could use some lovin as well.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JoePSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Sorry I can't help but,
How does that happen? It looks like it was heat related.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would speculate with JoePSI here... The tips of the blades are the most stress part of the wheel... Plus some good old fashion heat.. (lean maybe???)... How are those exhaust gas temps??

Edit.. one more thing.. i think some rebuiders can bend the blades back and trim... i dont think you will come out of balance, unless you lost a chunk of blade.... you can remove the opposite blade to balance it it. (just kidding about removing blade)....
Old 03-13-2007, 09:05 PM

Default Re: (scartail)

i am told as long as you have 1 good side, weither its your turbine or compressor garrett rebuilders will swap you for a brand new CHRA
Old 03-13-2007, 09:06 PM

Default Re: (EJ1 wilcox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1 wilcox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would just replace the turbin wheel/shaft.

It's going to be slightly out of balance, which will make the bearings wear quickly. I had a piece of manifold go through my turbo and took a small chunk out of one of the fins, within a few weeks the bearings had worn so much that the wheels started contacting the housings at full boost.

Once it's out of balance enough for the wheels to hit the housings, it's pretty much downhill in a hurry to complete turbo failure. I would repair it before that happens if I were you. </TD></TR></TABLE>

ya but you had a chunk of your fin get taken off, i dont. theres no material missing and its just at the very tips
Old 03-13-2007, 09:08 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr HYDE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i am told as long as you have 1 good side, weither its your turbine or compressor garrett rebuilders will swap you for a brand new CHRA </TD></TR></TABLE>

I hope for you guys that this is the case, but i've always been told to plan for the worst if you mess up a wheel on a BB CHRA turbo...
Old 03-13-2007, 09:11 PM

Default Re: (Schister66)

well its 400 bucks, and its only offered i guess for the gt35r. can anyone verify that? i was linked a thread from an rx7 fourm state this.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by scartail &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I would speculate with JoePSI here... The tips of the blades are the most stress part of the wheel... Plus some good old fashion heat.. (lean maybe???)... How are those exhaust gas temps??

Edit.. one more thing.. i think some rebuiders can bend the blades back and trim... i dont think you will come out of balance, unless you lost a chunk of blade.... you can remove the opposite blade to balance it it. (just kidding about removing blade)....</TD></TR></TABLE>

the car was tuned by Evans so i doubt it was from lean, plus i would have picked up on it running lean because i have a wideband in my line of view.

also is it true what your saying about the blades and bending it back and triming? i mean i never showed signs of it.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr HYDE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

thats what i was wondering i mean it didnt loose any material and its just the very very tips of the fins</TD></TR></TABLE>
The pieces of metal that fell in there are caused by not back purging the stainless when welded. The only way to avoid this is to weld the manifold the right way the first time.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:38 AM

Default Re: (jDMJeRk)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jDMJeRk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
The pieces of metal that fell in there are caused by not back purging the stainless when welded. The only way to avoid this is to weld the manifold the right way the first time.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The priority for a good reputable manifold just keeps getting more prevalent.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:09 AM

well the manifold was built by matt of one fab and has already been replaced.

Quick Reply: Garrett Turbo help?