Notices

Garrett Reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garrett Reliability?

I am looking to purchase a turbo and have been looking at the Garrett t3/t4oe 57 trim w/ .60 A/R. I went to my local shop to get a price on this turbo and they told me to stay away from the Garrett. They said they have a 270* thrust bearing and its a truck turbo. They said that the oil pressure in my car will be too high for the oil seals to hold and the turbo will last about 3,000 miles.

They reccommened to me the precision sc34 which is about and extra $200, but has a 360* thrust bearing which is meant for the oil pressure that my motor puts out.

So my question is will the Garrett really only last 3000 miles, or are they just trying to get another $200 out of me.

Any responses from poeple running the Garrett about its reliability would great thanks!
Old 09-16-2005, 09:38 AM

Default Re: Garrett Reliability? (GS-R Civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GS-R Civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am looking to purchase a turbo and have been looking at the Garrett t3/t4oe 57 trim w/ .60 A/R. They said they have a 270* thrust bearing and its a truck turbo.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is all they would have had to say and I would have walked out. A truck turbo eh.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:41 AM

Default Re: Garrett Reliability? (King Tut33)

i run a garret t3/t4 no probs, most people will run a -3 oil line or/and oil restrictor to deal with the oil pressure issue.

Garret is pretty much precision i thought...
Old 09-16-2005, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Garrett Reliability? (unbanned_evosol)

milage on the garrett so far?
Old 09-16-2005, 10:20 AM

Hmm... It takes alot for someone to tell you to stay away from the best turbochargers ever made..
Old 09-16-2005, 10:37 AM

Default Re: Garrett Reliability? (tgreaves)

Garrett has had zero (as far as I know) failures on any of the race cars that run them due to a manufacturing defect. I personally wouldn't run anything but a Garrett, as there were a lot of OEM cars that used Garrets reliably for years. So make sure you run the right oil pressure to it, and you will have a very long service life.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Garrett Reliability? (civicross)

Garrett turbos last along time with proper maintainace. Most everyone in the racing scene is using some chra from garrett
Old 09-16-2005, 11:15 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Garrett Reliability? (b18bturbo)

The people you talked to were IDOTS

First let me start off by saying Precision uses Garrett CHRA's (Center Housing & Rotating Assembly's, IE:center cartridge and wheel). Precision only makes the turbine and compressor HOUSINGS, that's it!

Second, Precision should be CEAPER then Garrett; that's the hole point. They make the housings, which are inferior to Garretts i might add, to keep the cost's under Garretts to attract more customers. Precision is authorized to do this by Garrett. Check Precision's site, whats the second thing you see from the top of the page... GARRETT

Third, oil pressure varies between every CHRA and can be regulated by in-line restrictors that are very inexpensive. Allot of turbos have them built in (Garrett GT's), some others come with them installed already (the Turbonetics turbo that came w/my revhard kit back in the day had one already installed direct from Turbonetics), or you can add them in-line with your feed line. It is recommend to add them to ANY turbo going on a Honda if it does not already have one built in; EVEN PRECISION TURBO'S. Most CHRA's only want a max pressure of ~60psi.

I run a Prodrive oil pump gear on my motor and my oil pressure is 90psi when I get on it. I have NEVER had a problem with blowing seals on any of my past turbos (garret, precision, or turbonetics). *using appropriate oil restrictor*

The shop you talked to is full of it and is obviously trying to pull something over on you if they said a precision turbo is more $$ then a true Garrett of the same specs. *Provided they are both shelf units, IE: not custom spec*

Hope this help... If you have any specific questions or are looking for either garrett or precision turbos contact "Boostfed.com" on this site or check out his web site.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:24 AM
B*A*N*N*E*D

Default Re: Garrett Reliability? (White Smoke)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by White Smoke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The people you talked to were IDOTS

First let me start off by saying Precision uses Garrett CHRA's (Center Housing & Rotating Assembly's, IE:center cartridge and wheel). Precision only makes the turbine and compressor HOUSINGS, that's it!

</TD></TR></TABLE>

we only use and offer Genuine Garrett turbochargers based on their reliability and performance.

Modified by PhoenixTurbo.com at 2:27 AM 9/17/2005
Old 09-16-2005, 12:52 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Garrett Reliability? (PhoenixTurbo.com)

hell GM used them on the grand nationals.
i had 80K on my original turbo on my buick. started passing oil at about 82K. swapped it out for a precision TE-32E and had it on there for over 20K then sold the car.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:38 PM

Harry Hruska here @ Precision Turbo & Engine

Thanks for the complement, But no Precision is not Garrett.

We are one of five Performance Distrubitors here in the USA. The others are listed on the TurbobyGarrett.com site.

99.9% of all the units we sell are "Powered by Garrett' aerodynamics

The 270 brg is a robust proven OE system and works well in most applications.

As policy we build the 360brg into all of the T series units we sell.
We do this to add a little extra insurance for the typical racer pushing the high boost limits..

Regards
Harry Hruska
Precision Turbo & Engine

Old 09-16-2005, 02:42 PM
New User

Default Re: Garrett Reliability? (PTE Harry)

60k miles and still kicking ***.....it outlasted my motor!!!
Old 09-16-2005, 05:06 PM

Garrett is for real a good turbo, nuf said....
Old 09-16-2005, 09:22 PM

Default Re: (PK SPEED)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PK SPEED &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Garrett is for real a good turbo, nuf said....</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 09-16-2005, 11:22 PM
Better than steak

Default Re: Garrett Reliability? (PTE Harry)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PTE Harry &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Harry Hruska here @ Precision Turbo & Engine

Thanks for the complement, But no Precision is not Garrett.

We are one of five Performance Distrubitors here in the USA. The others are listed on the TurbobyGarrett.com site.

99.9% of all the units we sell are "Powered by Garrett' aerodynamics

The 270 brg is a robust proven OE system and works well in most applications.

As policy we build the 360brg into all of the T series units we sell.
We do this to add a little extra insurance for the typical racer pushing the high boost limits..

Regards
Harry Hruska
Precision Turbo & Engine

</TD></TR></TABLE>
From the main man at PTE.
Old 09-17-2005, 07:19 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Garrett Reliability? (Arturbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Arturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
From the main man at PTE. </TD></TR></TABLE>

to Harry. Dennis from GNS has been dealing with him since he got his GN in 86. Harry has always been a stand up guy.