Notices

fmu question?????????????????????

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fmu question?????????????????????

i have heard all the fmu horror stories about blown motors, leaning out, or running pig rich. are there any success stories out there anywhere? i have a friend that ran a 12:1 fmu on his b16 crx at 15psi for 2 years and never had any issues (daily driven and regularly raped on the street and strip). not to disagree that there are better engine management solutions out there, just wondering if there is any good to go with the bad that is always heard. my current setup is a b16 91 hatch, garrett t3 48/61 (merkur xr4ti) fmic, 2.5 cold side piping, tial38mm .5 bar, vortech 12:1 fmu and walbro 255. know its not the best but tuning is a limited option in my area. any thoughts? by the way, my boy fried the pistons in his crx when it leaned out on a 2 stage nitrous setup 50 dry, 150 direct port. looking for intelligent replies not pointless flaming please.

Modified by p.s.i.kotic at 7:32 AM 7/26/2006

Modified by p.s.i.kotic at 7:35 AM 7/26/2006
Old 07-25-2006, 09:18 PM

Default Re: fmu question????????????????????? (p.s.i.kotic)

Not trying to flaame but this has been covered tons already...
Some people have had success with less than 7lbs of boost.
But spending as much money as you do on a turbo setup why risk it?
And for as much money as you spend you might as well push more boost...
Seriously, running a chipped ECU with a basemap is probably safer.
But don't do that either....
I would never use an FMU, but some will be stubborn and say it is fine.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I used a Greddy blue box for a few months on 7psi and it ran awesome. But, I ran it on 8psi for like 4 days and blew all the rings out. The car was a 99 GSR with Greddy 18g kit and he big Greddy front mount. I realize its a bit different than your Vortech but same principle. Just giving my experience. It worked great, but it has limits.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:46 PM

Default Re: fmu question????????????????????? (dcturbols)

most replies to fmu ?'s are chip/tune. but what about those who dont have access to tuners/dyno's/or the know how to diy tune. should their solution simply be dont boost? thats really not a reasonable answer for a honda turbo enthusiast. i simply am asking for positive stories to go along with all the negative that is always heard. there are always two sides to a story and i simply wanted to hear the flip side if it is out there. thanks for the intelligent replies and keep them coming. i respect any1's opinion when it is voiced in an intelligent and helpful manner.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm running a FMU (it's been about 2 yrs). I'm only boosted at 5 psi. Anyway, it's pig rich. I can smell alot of gas when I stompt on it. I didn't throw a CEL until I threw in a walbro intank (prepping to go with uberdata or something). Guess that too much, with the inline pump and all. I threw my WB on it (before the upgrade of the fuel pump), and the ratio sat at 11:1 at wot.