Notices

Can you guys help me with coolant lines to wastegate and turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2022, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Can you guys help me with coolant lines to wastegate and turbo?

I've searched plenty and I've come across options but I want to explore this option and you guys tell me if what I am thinking makes sense.

The blue line represents the coolant line that I am thinking of tapping into. This is it:

It clearly goes from the throttle body to the UPPER radiator hose which is before the coolant goes into the radiator. My idea was to remove the breather pipe as seen above and replace it with a metal Y fitting as also seen above. From this Y fitting I would supply the hose to both the turbo and wastegate, thus I would have to use a 2nd Y fitting like the 1st one.

Alternately I was looking and I see the throttle body sees the coolant from the IAC.

Is it possible to bypass the IAC and the Fast Idle Thermovalve and take the coolant directly from the Connecting Pipe or will that cause driveability issues such as searching idle or surging RPMs?

Also does anyone know of fittings that would replace the one in the wastegate now with a push type connecting fitting?

Old 05-22-2022, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can you guys help me with coolant lines to wastegate and turbo?

UPDATE:

So more searching came up that I can bypass both coolant lines going to the IAC and Fast Idle valve. If this is possible my new idea is to go straight from the coolant connecting pipe that feeds the IAC to then travel to both the wastegate and turbo via the 2 Y connectors. After the turbo and wastegate the lines will again go into another Y then feed back into the upper radiator hose where the original Fast Idle control valve fed into. Red line is new routing.

Old 05-22-2022, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did even more searching and came up with this https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/it...x?itemid=90892 stainless steel and a good bit cheaper than Grainger. Here is a picture of what it would look like installed. All together I would need 3. All connections would be hose clamped. Is there any reason this wouldn't work well and be a simple solution? Reason I want to use this Y over a T or other type Y fitting is this is a true 50/50 fork in the road type fitting that will cause both routes to see equal amounts of coolant.

Old 05-22-2022, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Why not go from the wastegate to the turbo? Whats the benefit of running two separate lines?
Old 05-22-2022, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jdblock
Why not go from the wastegate to the turbo? Whats the benefit of running two separate lines?
That's a good question...Is there any reason this would be a bad idea someone?
Old 05-22-2022, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 178 Likes on 151 Posts

You're running coolant to the wastegate?
Old 05-22-2022, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Chrisfrom1986
You're running coolant to the wastegate?
Yes, it's a water cooled wastegate. Look them up
Old 05-22-2022, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 140 Likes on 132 Posts

It says coolant to the wastegate is for extreme conditions such as road racing. For drag racing, you won’t need coolant to the wastegate. For the street you probably won’t need coolant to the wastegate. I don’t think you’d need it for auto crossing since the engine won’t be in boost that long. I’m planning on skipping it even though my wastegate has water cooling capabilities.
Old 05-23-2022, 04:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by highschooler
It says coolant to the wastegate is for extreme conditions such as road racing. For drag racing, you won’t need coolant to the wastegate. For the street you probably won’t need coolant to the wastegate. I don’t think you’d need it for auto crossing since the engine won’t be in boost that long. I’m planning on skipping it even though my wastegate has water cooling capabilities.
Not according to Tial themselves

Originally Posted by TiAL Sport
Hi, Kevin,

Daily-driven applications benefit the most from the coolant flow, since the cycle time for the wastegate is generally higher (it's used more often) and, in many cases, the engine compartments are not as well ventilated. Many motorsport applications have fairly 'open' engine compartments and shorter duty cycles of operation, and in some cases, the fuel used results in lower EGT.

If the specific fitment of your wastegate provides for very good airflow across the actuator assembly (the aluminum portion) and there are no exhaust tubes or manifolds mounted within 50mm of the actuator housing, it's likely you can run the unit without the coolant flow, but

it is rather inexpensive insurance of a long service life if you utilize that feature.

Feel free to send clear photos of the installation and i'll be happy to have a look and report back with our suggestions.

Best Regards,

Mike Franke

Tech Support

TiALSport, Inc.
Old 05-23-2022, 05:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is TiAL's response to this question

Originally Posted by TiAL Sport
The short answer is yes, you can absolutely 'loop' the coolant flow through both items. It's quite common to use -4AN line for turbo coolant hoses, and the fittings we supply with the WG's are also adapted to -4AN, so you can keep everything standardized.

The WG's effect on the coolant temperature is minimal, far less than the turbocharger, so it shouldn't create any problems.

The only suggestion I would make would be to possibly reverse the order of flow, and push the coolant through the turbo first, then through the wastegate, but I would let the fitment guide the design.

Best Regards,

Mike Franke

Tech Support

TiALSport, Inc.
Old 05-23-2022, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So this is my final idea I think. It is dependent on if the IAC's and Fast Idle valve's coolant ports can be plugged and the car still drive acceptable.

Old 05-23-2022, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Doesn't make sense to run it through the turbo first if the WG doesn't effect coolant temps much.

All you'd be doing is heating the WG for no reason. Water cooling is supposed to keep it cool, not to heat it up.

Old 05-23-2022, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Doesn't make sense to run it through the turbo first if the WG doesn't effect coolant temps much.

All you'd be doing is heating the WG for no reason. Water cooling is supposed to keep it cool, not to heat it up.
Not arguing you, just stating what TiAL said back.

With that being said I don't feel good about running just one line. The turbo and the wastegate both have flow reducers in them and I feel it could cause some unwanted issues. Wouldn't really save much money or time by going that route vs the one I posted right above your post.

I'm just hoping the car drives good with no coolant going to the IAC and Fast Idle Valve. I've read mixed results both good and bad. Hopefully in South Carolina's weather it won't matter.
Old 05-23-2022, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 140 Likes on 132 Posts

it is rather inexpensive insurance of a long service life if you utilize that feature”
So it might extend the life of the wastegate somewhat. In my opinion I’d not bother with the coolant through the wastegate and just buy a new one in 5-10 years, but the coolant might help yours last longer. So go ahead with coolant to the wastegate if you want it to last a long time.
Old 05-23-2022, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Two reason to run a single line:
1-simplicity is best
2-more coolant velocity through the two components

I'm not against running two "lines", I would run a single line in series first, to test function. And if that doesn't work, then run the two components in parallel.

I would even keep the idle components installed, and run lines to the WG and turbo after they go though them.

Old 05-23-2022, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 255 Likes on 223 Posts

For my turbo i ran SS line from the front of the block to the bottom of the radiator. Nice and short with jic fittings. Rubber hoses around the turbo areas are risky with all the heat up there.
Old 05-24-2022, 04:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Two reason to run a single line:
1-simplicity is best
2-more coolant velocity through the two components

I'm not against running two "lines", I would run a single line in series first, to test function. And if that doesn't work, then run the two components in parallel.

I would even keep the idle components installed, and run lines to the WG and turbo after they go though them.
I do agree that simplicity is best but I don't like the idea of heating up the coolant through the turbo and then sending it to the wastegate. Especially when I can easily just give them dedicated sources. But you make some good points. I want to bypass the IAC and Fast Idle to keep the manifold as cool as possible. Also plan to coat the underside of the intake with reflective tape and run a Hondata gasket.

Originally Posted by Pepe14
For my turbo i ran SS line from the front of the block to the bottom of the radiator. Nice and short with jic fittings. Rubber hoses around the turbo areas are risky with all the heat up there.
I actually have all parts to do this but I chose not to because of 2 reasons
  1. I would rather a source close to the water pump so the velocity of the coolant will be high
  2. I didn't like the idea of pumping hot coolant post turbo into the bottom part of the radiator since the coolant travels from top to bottom of the radiator. This will increase the coolant temps and in the south during summer I need all the cooling benefits I can get.
My idea solves both of these "issues". And all lines will have protective heat reflective sleeves on them. Maybe use something like this https://hpsperformanceproducts.com/p...ant-tube-hoses