Notices

Fluidampr install/removal with tool!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fluidampr install/removal with tool!

OK guys I checked with Art, and he said he would make this a sticky when I am done. I tried to get as many pics as possible for this. I hope this will help with some of the questions and concerns about the install and removal of the Fluidampr pulley.

<U>Remember to ALWAYS have the motor turned and set to TDC before contuning with the installation of the damper! If you do not know how to do this, you should refer to a professinoal shop/mechanic that can do the install for you.</U>

1. To use the tool correctly, you must have one of two things:
1A. Remove the timing belt side motor mount to lower the motor below the frame rail.
1B. Have the motor completely out of the car.

2. Here is the tool that Fluidampr sells:

Side note, you can also use the tool from Snap-On, Matco, or MAC Tools. They would work as well.

3. After you have the motor in the proper working location, you must remove the stock crank pulley as well as the accessories belts (i.e. alternator, power steering, AC). Some of you may not have anything except alternator here.

4. Once you have done that, you will remove both the upper and lower timing belt covers. Some of you may not have one or both of these, so proceed as needed here.

5. Now you will want to "trim" the lower cover that is on the backside of the crank pulley. There is a lip that sticks up about 1/16" of an inch that will be "trimmed" or "leveled" to the same height as the rest of the lower timing cover.

6. Once this is done, you can now reinstall the lower timing cover.

7. If you are like me, you do not like to reuse anything. So here is the part number for the crank key from Honda if you want to replace it for the B series motors.

8. Install the crank key onto the grove in the snout of the crank.

9. Take the damper and set onto the crank snout, and make sure it is lined up with the crank key.

10. At this point, you will now get to use the cool install tool. Once again this is the Fluidampr tool, yours may look different, follow those instructions for proper use. Take the high nut and the chase bearing. Slide the chase bearing onto the high nut.

11. Then you will take the high nut and the proper (and only for the Hondas) crank adapter. Thread the crank adapter into the end of the high nut.

12. You will need to have the correct size wrenches/sockets for the install. The high nut size is 1 1/4"

The threader for the high nut is 11/16".

13. You will take the 11/16" ratchet/socket and hold the end of the high nut threader. You will then take the 1 1/4" wrench and begin to tighten the high nut down. This will begin the "pressing on" of the damper.

14. Once the damper "bottoms out" onto the crank snout, you can remove the high nut, chase bearing, etc. You can now install the crank pulley bolt and torques to correct specs. 130 ft/lbs is what is suggested.

15. At this point you can now return all accessory belts. For this install we used the Fluidampr 630602 race pulley with just the alternator on it.

16. The rest of the install is just the reverse of the removal, for the motor or motor mount, whichever you did. I would also suggest to just turn the crank and make sure that all timing marks line up. The timing mark should line up with the 0 degress mark on the Fluidampr.

Now if you were able to do the install, then here is the removal with the same tool.

Same steps would be suggested for the removal. This means either remove the timing belt motor mount, or have the motor completely removed. I suggest using an air impact to loosen the crank bolt. But thread it back in by hand, so that the puller has something to press against. It will be fine.

1. Take the high nut and remove the large high nut from the thread body.

2. Thread the body of the high nut into the "puller"

3. There are two adapters that you will use in the removal process. We will call them the upper and lower adapters.

4. Once you have the body of the high nut threaded into the puller, take the upper adapter and slide it into the shaft of the high nut body.

5. You will then take the lower adapter and push it onto the upper adapter.

6. Now take the 3 bolts that are used to thread into the fluidampr.

7. Bolt the puller onto the fluidampr using the 3 bolts.

8. You will then take the 11/16" ratchet/socket and begin to tighten the puller up.

9. Once you get the pulley pulled back, you should have no problem getting the damper off with your hands at this point.

10. Removal is now complete. Refer back to the installation once you are ready.

Hope this helps.

Jason
Old 05-02-2006, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fluidampr install/removal with tool! (SFWD 1934)

Oh yea:

Thank you Tyler and Garrett for the help guys.

Jason
Old 05-02-2006, 11:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good stuff bro!!!!
Old 05-02-2006, 11:01 PM
On Fire!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great write up on the install but I'll add a couple of things to the people that are broke like myself after buying a fluidampr . Hope you don't mind.

To ease installation I put some antiseze on the snout of the crank to help the pulley slide on better and come free alot easyer when your pulling it all back appart.

If you don't have the nice kick *** tool kit you can use the Crank pulley bolt itself to slide the pulley all the way on to the crank but be carefull that the pulley is ligned up right on the crank and don't dick up any threads!!

When you wanna take it off I use a KD Tools Part #2286 harmonic balancer puller kit I got from my local oreilly's. It comes with everything you need and has the proper bolts that will fit inside of your fluidampener so it can be pulled off.
Here is a pic of the kit. It costs about $25.

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-03-2006, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fluidampr install/removal with tool!

Nice write-up!
Old 05-03-2006, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry but i dont know what is it used for..
Old 05-03-2006, 07:42 PM

Great write up. Sorry if I missed it in your post but what puller set is that? It looks like a nice quality tool. I am in the market for a nice one for work.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fluidampr install/removal with tool! (ssmdc2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ssmdc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Great write up. Sorry if I missed it in your post but what puller set is that? It looks like a nice quality tool. I am in the market for a nice one for work. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank you. That is the set directly from Fluidampr. Snap-On, MAC, Matco all carry their version of it as well (if you work at a shop that those guys stop to, or you can just jump on a truck and order one).

Jason
Old 05-04-2006, 05:35 AM

Thanks I am all too familiar with the Snap-On guy. I'll check out Fluidampr's site for it.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fluidampr install/removal with tool! (Adi Radoncic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Adi Radoncic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Great write up on the install but I'll add a couple of things to the people that are broke like myself after buying a fluidampr . Hope you don't mind.

To ease installation I put some antiseze on the snout of the crank to help the pulley slide on better and come free alot easyer when your pulling it all back appart.

If you don't have the nice kick *** tool kit you can use the Crank pulley bolt itself to slide the pulley all the way on to the crank but be carefull that the pulley is ligned up right on the crank and don't dick up any threads!!

When you wanna take it off I use a KD Tools Part #2286 harmonic balancer puller kit I got from my local oreilly's. It comes with everything you need and has the proper bolts that will fit inside of your fluidampener so it can be pulled off.
Here is a pic of the kit. It costs about $25.

</TD></TR></TABLE>I have done the same way on putting my buddy's damper by just using the stock bolt on the crank and went right in. I also put anti-sieze on the snout. I did not have to trim the lower timing belt for the install and it's not rubbing at all.
Old 05-05-2006, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fluidampr install/removal with tool! (V-SPEC 1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by V-SPEC 1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have done the same way on putting my buddy's damper by just using the stock bolt on the crank and went right in. I also put anti-sieze on the snout. I did not have to trim the lower timing belt for the install and it's not rubbing at all.</TD></TR></TABLE>

same here minus the anti-sieze. i also needed a shorter alt. belt because i have the "race" damper for my H22.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, we used the race damper as well and had to use a shorter belt. But the voltage drop by 1-2 volts and the car idles funny now. Oh well.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SFWD 1934 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Those are some damn sexy hands!!!
Old 05-09-2006, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fluidampr install/removal with tool! (Tyler H)

good wirte up, wish i had it when iinstalled mine.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:04 AM

i would like to purchase one now
Old 05-24-2006, 03:20 AM

Default Re: (dday00si)

true dat
Old 05-25-2006, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sTEAMD_rICE)

Nice write up Jason!
Old 06-05-2006, 02:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TurboChrgd_Civic)

What size alternator belt are you using with the fluiddampr?
Old 06-05-2006, 04:38 AM

Excellent write up.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (scoop)

instead of spending time showing how to install a fluid damper sfwd 1934 (jason leslie) could send me the 46mm tial wastegate he sold me back the first week in april. i have been more than patient about this but enough is enough. he will not answer his im's or his phone. i guess this will be the first time i have been scammed on honda-tech
Old 06-11-2006, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (speedworks)

bump for a scammer
Old 06-12-2006, 03:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

scammer bump
Old 06-13-2006, 03:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for jason leslie
Old 06-14-2006, 03:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump. send this guy his parts.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mikey3000)

hell yeah!

Quick Reply: Fluidampr install/removal with tool!