First Post My JRSC B20vtec

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Post My JRSC B20vtec

MORE PICS ON PAGE @ Updated 4/25/09...

Hi everybody! This is my first time posting but I been lurking this fourm for awhile trying to work out some problems with my old ride (2000 coupe w/ itr swap) It was burning a ton of oil from me enjoying it too much I traded it to someone for a 92 hatch w/ a fresh itr swap, so I'm back to square one. This time around I'm saving all my mods for my project auto x/road race car. The project car is an 89 crx Si which had a roll bar, and a b20 vtec swap with Crower stage 3 drag cams at the time of purchase. (too much cam for a b20) The engine was ready to fall out of the car due to some busted mounts. So after that was repaired and the car had it's brief moments out on the streets raping mustangs, I parked it for the Long haul. The b20 vtec is now supercharged (almost finished, just wiring is left) So without further ado here are some pics of the setup: Pics of the exterior will be available after I blur the plates. Enjoy!

Here's my custom cold air/ram air intake. I fiberglassed a funnel that slips on the inside of my bumper and the flex tube routes right into the filter. I used a filter under the hood so that my throttle response wouldn't be affected. Hopefully this lowers the intake air temps and reduces the heatsoak on the manifold.

I also purchased some oil pan baffles from Heel Toe Automotive, which claimed it would fit a b20 pan. When I pulled the pan I discovered that my pan doesn't have the extra baffle all the way to the right of the pan to weld the baffle across. Luckily I had a beat up b16 pan handy and I drilled out the spot welds and welded the xtra baffle into the b20 pan. Then the baffles actually fit.

B20 Pan:

Finished B20 pan w/ baffles:

BTW the car is painted STi Blue with some gold Rays 15' wheels. Once the car is running I have a feeling it's going to be

Modified by jdmitrcivic at 7:23 PM 2/29/2008

Modified by jdmitrcivic at 2:43 PM 3/14/2008

Modified by jdmitrcivic at 8:42 PM 3/14/2008

Last edited by jdmitrcivic; 04-28-2009 at 07:34 AM.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: First Post My JRSC B20vtec (jdmitrcivic)

Sorry about the large pics they need to be resized. FIXED

Modified by jdmitrcivic at 9:51 PM 2/29/2008
Old 02-29-2008, 12:57 PM
Hookers and blow

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JRSC LHT IC FTW.....KRAFTWERKZ
Old 02-29-2008, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

very nice setup lets see some numbers
Old 02-29-2008, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you have any questions about your JRSC, you need to look here
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1214810&page=1

over 400 pages of JRSC knowledge
Old 02-29-2008, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: First Post My JRSC B20vtec (Crx Jimmy)

Thanks, I looked through a couple of pages awhile back. I just blindy jumped into the project and worried the whole time about clearance issues and everything fitting, and in the end everything just fit like a glove. Traction will be my biggest issue I think More pics to come....
Old 02-29-2008, 01:29 PM
Hookers and blow

get a quaife before going here:

Old 02-29-2008, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: First Post My JRSC B20vtec (dipsy)

You read my mind dipsy, I think I might scrap this b16 cable tranny (no Lsd + jrsc b20vtec= circles) for a Type R and hasport kit......But it will be awhile for the funding to come in. I'm also looking at the Progress Time Attack coilovers....I'm such a cheap bastard when it comes to everything else in life.....except when it comes to my expensive hobby! Do you road race dipsy?
Old 02-29-2008, 02:10 PM
Hookers and blow

occasionally...havent been to the track in 6 months....money and I lost my truck in an accident so I only have 1 vehicle now. will go back eventually GL on the build...try getting a gsr tranny w/ a 4.7 final its a pretty fun setup on SOW w/ a blower
Old 02-29-2008, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: First Post My JRSC B20vtec (I Has A Pedo Bear)

No numbers yet, but it will be interesting to see what it makes since the engine came with a blown head gasket, and when I opened here up I discovered that I didn't have stock pistons (they look like cast stock piston) RS Machine 12:1 Pistons! Stock Rods. I'm gonna throw a 50-75 shot of wet nitrous into the mix so I can make some money off my uncle who has been talking smack on hondas. He has a karmin Gia with a crap load of metal work(no fiberglass for him) english wheel FTW! Anyways it a turbo 2200cc.....He makes more money in one hour than I do all day at work, and I'm gonna show him what a honda can really do hopefully

Modified by jdmitrcivic at 7:48 PM 2/29/2008
Old 02-29-2008, 02:26 PM
Hookers and blow

Default Re: First Post My JRSC B20vtec (I Has A Pedo Bear)

nuthin just trying to hustle to stay alive....maybe have enough to get back on the track
Old 02-29-2008, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: First Post My JRSC B20vtec (dipsy)

Dipsy, I noticed you had a DC header for sale. I had the same kinda of damage on the bottom also. I cut out the damage areas with a torch and then cut out replacement pieces out of a muffler tip and welded them back in! Viola! I gained all that volume back and then welded on a skid plate in hopes of preventing more damage. Here's some pics.

ignore the mess

Modified by jdmitrcivic at 7:17 PM 2/29/2008

Modified by jdmitrcivic at 2:03 AM 3/1/2008
Old 02-29-2008, 02:41 PM
Hookers and blow

thanks for the tip...im just to lazy to work on it....just gonna sell it as is.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

very clean any updates?
Old 02-29-2008, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (I CRX I)

Not yet, but I will be posting shots of the exterior as soon as I blur the plates or take them off! Check back later.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jdmitrcivic)

Dude, I freaking love your fiberglass ram air, thats tight as crap. I'm working on my rex to soon be a NASA car...I'll be doing my first class here in April. Supercharger is next on my list...
Old 02-29-2008, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (KrenzyRyan)

If you are interested in making your own, start by making your form(shape) out of aluminum foil, and then use fiberglass mat cut into strips soaked in resin.... if the foil won't hold it's shape under the weight of the fiberglass, then tear strips of newspaper and soak those in laundry starch and cover your form w/ those. They harden when dry.....Paper Mache' remember elementary school art class? It finally paid off.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a Kamikaze header, or one configured similarly will be much better for your app than the (long-tube) DC deal- even minus the inevitable 'DC dents.'
Old 03-01-2008, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: First Post My JRSC B20vtec (slofu)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slofu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a Kamikaze header, or one configured similarly will be much better for your app than the (long-tube) DC deal- even minus the inevitable 'DC dents.' </TD></TR></TABLE>

Also, if you haven't changed your cams yet, you might get more power from a set of milder cams (GSR intake/ITR exhaust is a favorite amoung JRSC folks). However, if you still have those 12:1 pistons in there, the dynamic compression from the big overlap Crower stage 3s might help to keep your motor together.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: First Post My JRSC B20vtec (Jaker)

Yeah I pulled the cams and I'm trying to get rid of them so I can put that money towards somse suspension, I even have some brand new Crower titanium retainers and springs that I never used since the car came with some rage springs and retainers. Currently there is a GSR intake cam and a b16 exhaust cam, so I just need to replace my exhaust cam. I only had a b16 ex cam lying around and wanted to drive the car once or twice before I parked for the charger install.

Update: Reinstalled my cross member which was out for my header/ oil pan baffle project. I added Energy suspension bushing to the cross member torque rods.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you do still have the 12:1 pistons in there, might I suggest that you find a way to lower the compression (thick headgasket comes to mind). You'll have fits trying to tune a JRSC with that compression. Detonation will be everpresent unless you run C16 gas all the time. There's a D series JRSC setup over on Evans Tuning website that is 13:1 compression and it made pretty crazy power (230 whp) for a D, but that was all done on race gas.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: First Post My JRSC B20vtec (Jaker)

Good information, I was unaware that there might be problems with that high of compression. I figured since it was a Type R blower that high compression wasn't an issue. I'm not opossed to running race gas all the time, since this car won't see the street. What I am worried about is the initial start up when everything is complete. Am I going to be able to run the JR FMU with a B20 crank pulley(9-10 psi) to get the car to the dyno, or am I better off loading it onto the trailer(Shop is 40 miles away...Rage Performance, or even further into LA. I don't want to cause any unnecessary problems at startup. I heard the FMU is only good w/ JRSC stock setting 6 psi. Any more advice?.....
Old 03-03-2008, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default UPDATE

Got myself some blue top dsm to toss in the mix. Ecu is already chipped, so it looks like wiring is all that left (custom interior wiring)
Old 03-06-2008, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Another UPDATE

I just spoke with my tuner (Chris @ Whitfield Racing) and he told me since I'm running such high compression pistons (previous all motor setup) he will have to take out alot of timing. He is in the process of making me a base map to get me going w/ my 450cc injectors. I also started installing my Rhino camber kit which forces me to trim the inner fender lip to get them to clear. Oh well they're cheap! Up next is the interior of the car and removing unnecessary wiring. More updates coming soon.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Another UPDATE (jdmitrcivic)

Here's another update:

I installed my Dsm blue tops, installed my upper control arms, replaced my chip with my base map for my injectors. The base map was made by Chris Whitfield (Whitfield Racing) Removed my FMU after realizing I won't be needing it, and made a block off plate for my map sensor. The Map sensor still needs to be relocated. I also hooked up my coolant reservoir, and I'm in the process of making a bracket to mount my valve cover catch can.

This is what's next on the agenda! Time to make it as nice as the engine bay....This is the before shot, and I'll post the after shot when it's finished

Modified by jdmitrcivic at 8:38 PM 3/14/2008

Quick Reply: First Post My JRSC B20vtec