Notices

finally got it running right then....BOOM!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Double Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default finally got it running right then....BOOM!!!

I have a 90 crx with a turbod b18a. Well we finally got it running right tonight...so we took it out for a test ride. I drove it around and it drove like a dream. So i decide to boost it a little after driving it for a few minutes(going against my instinct). So i start off normal...then boost a little then, hit the gas pretty good and as soon as it starts to pull the engine just shuts off. So we stop and i pop the hood and smell coolant. Theres nothing in the oil though. Im running 7psi on a t3/to4e and my fuel setup consists of a 12:1 fmu, msd inline fuel pump, and stock injectors. I tried to start it after a few minutes but it wouldnt. The inline pump wasnt priming when it was in the on position...actually neither one was...but i dont know if thats how the ecu keeps the car from starting when something is wrong or not? What could have happened? I finally got the damn thing running right...now this ****. Thanks in advance for numerous responses im going to get

Sean
Old 09-23-2003, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: finally got it running right then....BOOM!!! (sCeRaXn)

sounds electrical if it just died and you cant hear the fuel pumps coming on
Old 09-23-2003, 05:40 PM

Default Re: finally got it running right then....BOOM!!! (JDogg)

oh i checked the codes and it wasnt throwing any...

sean
Old 09-23-2003, 06:03 PM

Bibbity izump fo a friend
Old 09-23-2003, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: finally got it running right then....BOOM!!! (dreweg)

check the grounds
Old 09-23-2003, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

make sure your heater hose going into the firewall isn't pinched off by having the inline fuel pump rest on it (if it is)

does the car crank at all?
Old 09-23-2003, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (harrytg)

why did u turbo ur car w/ a n inline fuel pump and stock injectors?
Old 09-23-2003, 06:28 PM

Default Re: (rOby)

Yea ive checked all the grounds and they seem ok. And it does crank...just doesnt start. And to rOby...alot of people use the same setup that i have and they dont have any problem. Thanks

Sean
Old 09-23-2003, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sCeRaXn)

Last time that happened to me, I cracked a sleeve
Ran real nice, then the engien just shut off and I smelled coolant. What happen was, the headgasket lifted cause of the boost and teh pressure went straight into the coolant sysstem and filled up my coolant reservoir! Popped off the head and to my surrpise, the b20 sleeves cracked
Old 09-23-2003, 06:43 PM

Default Re: (Tein Man)

DAMN thats not what i need to hear. Has this happened to anyone else? If so then how was the outcome? My headbolts mustve been shot because id be surprised if i hit 3 psi. F#CK'N **** *****!!!

Sean
Old 09-23-2003, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sCeRaXn)

have you checked your fuses yet?
Old 09-23-2003, 06:55 PM

Default Re: (Redlineracer)

check your fuses man, thats most likely what it is. sounds like you arent getting fuel. check the ecu fuse under the hood and the pgm fi main relay fuses under the dash.
Old 09-23-2003, 06:57 PM

Default Re: (Redlineracer)

No not yet...it was dark and i could barely see anything. What fuses should i check? There could only be a few that would cause it to do that. And are there any ways to find if i cracked a sleeve w/o taking off the head...like little clues?

Sean
Old 09-23-2003, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (94goldjungsr)

Check for spark and fuel. Pop out one of hte spark plugs and put a screw driver into it. have someone crank it and put the screw driver near ground or near the ground wire. if u see spark jump, u got spark. Then to check for fuel, loosen up the nut on top of the fuel filter and turn the key once and if gas comes out, you'e getting fuel. If not, possibly a burnt fuse.
Old 09-23-2003, 07:00 PM

Default Re: (Tein Man)

in all my experiences its been fuel... i want to proimse you he has spark, its gotta be fuel. i doubt you cracked a sleeve, if you did, crank your car and give it gas. if theres no hole in the block you will be able to start it. if thers a hole in the block the answer is obvious. just floor the car and crank it and if it wont start your sleeves are fine and its electrical.

Modified by 94goldjungsr at 8:11 PM 9/23/2003
Old 09-23-2003, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if u want to check if its the fuel...turn your car on (but dont crank it) you should be able to hear the fuel going to the injectors in the engine bay. it makes a quiet buzzing sound...and you can listen to the fuel pump on your fuel tank...if u can hear all that. then u might not be getting spark. it could be the coil pack (ignition coil) in your distributor...one day i was driving normally, not punchin it and my engine just cut off...i found out there was no spark so i changed out the coil pack before changing out the WHOLE distributor...started right up. coil packs are $50-80 let me know if your getting fuel...i've had problems where there was no spark and there were instances where it was just a loose connection on the fuel pump...the ecu doesnt do anything to prevent fuel from traveling when something is wrong..unless of course theres something wrong with the fuel system
Old 09-23-2003, 07:18 PM

Default Re: (htownteg)

Aight guys thanks for the replys. Im pretty sure its that im not getting fuel...cuz that was the first thing i checked. I couldnt hear the inline or the intank pump prime. And trust me...that msd inline is LOUD!!! Im going to check for broken fuses tomorrow when i get off of work. What fuse couldve caused the pump to stop? Damn i hope its something small...i could really use a break with this car. Thanks for all the help and ill get back to you guys tomorrow night and tell you how things went.

Sean
Old 09-23-2003, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no prob...hmm i dont think theres a fuse for any of the fuel system...and if there is...its not in the engine bay with all the other fuses. i think fuel pumps use relays...but i bet its just a bad connection go to the fuel pump and wiggle that **** lol seriously it works sometimes
Old 09-23-2003, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (htownteg)

The fuel pump wire probably came loose does the car crank at all when you attempt to start it?
Old 09-23-2003, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbozxi)

hey man i had the same prob in my ek that the fuel pump wouldnt turn on. check the main fuel relay they are known to go bad in hondas that will casue your car to just shut off and not to restart.
Old 09-24-2003, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hatchbackhonda)

Acura had a serious problem back when they added vtec to the b motors. They had cars that would just shut off when even people would enter highways or go to pass someone etc etc. It turns out that after about 75,000 miles the distributor would go bad and whenever anyone hit vtec the car would shut off. Acura found out about the problem and of course replaced the distributors free of charge or refunded anybody's money. This happend in the b17 motors mostly but every once in a while I'll still here about it happening in an early b18c. I doubt its that though. Check your fuses and wiring. Sounds like a fuse blew or a wire came loose. You'd be surprised
Old 09-24-2003, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you have both pumps wired up to the fuel pump fuse, and it's the stock value, I'm sure you blew it. In my car (EJ) the fuel pump fuse is under the dash and is labeled ACG (whatever the **** that means?!) so, I'd check that. If it just shut off and won't do **** now, it's electrical. Even FUBAR engines usually make a sad attempt to run.
Old 09-24-2003, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: finally got it running right then....BOOM!!! (ion_four)

check the fuses and the relay that controls the pumps.

sounds like no fuel.
Old 09-24-2003, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: finally got it running right then....BOOM!!! (ion_four)

what is the outcome? the suspense is killing me
Old 09-24-2003, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: finally got it running right then....BOOM!!! (silverEH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by silverEH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what is the outcome? the suspense is killing me </TD></TR></TABLE>

Quick Reply: finally got it running right then....BOOM!!!