Notices

finally done w/ install!!! need tech help

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default finally done w/ install!!! need tech help

so at the end of my second day, im finally basically done w/ my install. only thing i have left to install is my gauges and MSD BTM. it took me a full day by myself, and another half day alone, then like 4 hours with a friend and some new tools

i ran into a few snags here and there during the install, but i found a way around them all. here is the ONLY problem im having right now. i am using an s-afc hack. i had it installed professionally by a guy that works at a very reputable performance shop here. he came over and hooked it up and we got all the little odds and ends together and started it up. the bitch idles like a HARLEY. rough as ****, really loud. so we fully retarded my ignition timing. that helped calm it down some. then he pulled a little fuel with the AFC. that seemed to help a little too, but it still idles pretty damn hard. the MSD BTM isnt on yet, but that wouldnt make any problems like this since the motor wasnt under boost. the motor also wasnt detonating. i installed DSM 450's on the car...and i cut and spliced the wires down about 4" behind each injector on the harness, and checked the continuity for 10 ohm resistance off the injector ground plug..well, i found 10 ohm resistance on 3 of the terminals...all 3 of them were on the bottom side of the plug. i thought it was wierd taht i couldnt pull a 10 ohm from the third plug, but i am just assuming that the connectors werent touching correctly...so i cut all four bottom wires off teh plug and tapped them into the ground going into the resistor box. i am thinking that might be my problem, but i dont know for sure. the way it's idling now, it sorta sounds like it's misfiring (the installer even said so himself). he was cool as hell though. he said he loved seeing HMT's work and was going to come over tomorrow w/ the guy he works with that specializes in turbo installs to help troubleshoot my setup and get a rough tune. then i can find out if i have any boost leaks or maybe even oil leaks...although none leaked while i was idling.

anyone have any idea why i might be idling so hard? also, where off the back of the intake mani should i splice into for a vacuum source? i have tee'd off from the evap purge for the line running between the BOV and wastegate actuator...but where should i tap for my BTM and boost gauge? same place?

thanks in advance for any of you turbo gods that might be able to give me some help
Old 08-21-2003, 11:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: finally done w/ install!!! need tech help (sk8rmike)

sweet! glad to hear it went pretty good

good luck with it. Im hopin for mine to be done by sunda
Old 08-22-2003, 12:13 AM

u were suppose to wire the positive side of the injector wires not the negative. ( got that from a good guy)
Old 08-22-2003, 12:20 AM
Better than steak

Default Re: finally done w/ install!!! need tech help (oscarmayer)

Injectors have no polarity.
Old 08-22-2003, 01:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you install a walbro or have a stock fuel pump?

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? If you have a walbro, check the pressure. I've heard of it being raised w/the walbro but i dont know if that's true or not. I wouldn't think that's a misfiring problem though. More of an idle.
Old 08-22-2003, 07:21 AM

Default Re: finally done w/ install!!! need tech help (racinskittle)

i have a walbro 255lph. i know the fuel pressure bumped up some once i installed it because after i put it in i would puff a little black smoke at redline so i knew i started running a little richer. im using the stock regulator though. im going to try switching the wires i tapped on the injectors though. THANKS!!
Old 08-22-2003, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn, I hope that wont cause me problems, i've got the walbro 255 ready to go it as well.
Old 08-22-2003, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

whats your numbers?

normally with 450's we up the fuel alot just in the 1k rpm range to straighten out the idle
Old 08-22-2003, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your regulator is the problem you need to lower your fuel press with the walbro. That is why you idle rich. You will need an aftermartket reg. one