Notices

A/F gauge problem...still there...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 11:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A/F gauge problem...still there...

Ok, I had a few posts in the past about this problem I have with my autometer A/F gauge acting all weird. Like going from .5 volts to 1.5 volts, or higher ( I got the volt readings from my Apex Turbo Timer. Also, instead of like just 1 or 2 bars lighting up, almost the whole gauge lights up.

Well, recently I switched from the b18 to the b20. With the b20, the problem would go away sometimes, but only during the day. So, SOMETIMES during the day the A/F would work, but never at night.

So, I racked my brain trying the figure out what would cause it not to work at night, but work during the day (sometimes). Then I realized, that at night my headlights are on. During the day they are not. so I did a little test. I ran the car, without driving it and turned electrical things inside the car on and off.
I could see the gauge jumping around as I turned things on and off, like headlights, heater, or if the radiator fan would come on.

My civic is a Canadian model, so it doesn't have an ELD. And in the past I have asked would not having an ELD cause this problem? everyone said that the o2 sensor and the ELD are in no way related. BUT, what else could it be. it can't be fuel, it definetly can't be ignition. but why would other electrical things in the car cause my gauge to go all crazy? I know it's a shitty gauge to start with, but I NEVER seen anyone else with this problem. I've changed o2 sensors (4 times to be exact) and the problem stays there. NO ONE HAS ANY CLUE AS TO WHAT IS CAUSING THIS PROBLEM!!! So, I think I'm down to 2 more options and if these don't fix the problem I will come to the conclusion that GOD does not want me to have an air fuel gauge... I will run o2 sensor wires around the harness, in case there is a short or something in the harness, grounding out one of the wires. If that doesn't work, my friend has an OBD1 american model civic, I'll try his under the hood fuse box, which comes with an ELD and see if that works.

I have tried the gauge on other cars and it works fine. I have tried other ECU's and the problem still exists.

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS SACRED AND SOMETHING ELSE, HELP ME!!!
Old 05-01-2003, 07:33 AM

Default Re: A/F gauge problem...still there... (HondaCutter)

bump
Old 05-01-2003, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

having your lights on @ night can affect the voltage sent to the gauge
Old 05-01-2003, 10:15 AM
Brrraaaap!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: A/F gauge problem...still there... (94dxt)

Get rid of the gauge. toatlly inaccurate and a waste of money.

Blaze
Old 05-01-2003, 10:48 AM

Default Re: A/F gauge problem...still there... (Blaze45)

i know that the gauge is inaccurate, but why does it not work correctly on my vehicle??!?!
Old 05-01-2003, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: A/F gauge problem...still there... (Blaze45)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blaze45 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Get rid of the gauge. toatlly inaccurate and a waste of money.

Blaze</TD></TR></TABLE>

THe guage is not totally inaccurate. It's just not very precise.
Old 05-01-2003, 11:20 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondaCutter &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> NO ONE HAS ANY CLUE AS TO WHAT IS CAUSING THIS PROBLEM!!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

The one thing that I know I'm definetly right about...
Old 05-01-2003, 04:45 PM