Notices

Exhaust Cam Cap

Old 11-30-2003, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Cam Cap

I am posting this here in Forced Induction because someone might no since you guys rebuild the heads.

Exhaust cam cap that is used for the stud to screw that the valve cover bolts on too? It's the cap that located next to Number six near the distributor in this picture, it covers the exhaust cam. This part from what I am told can not be purchased from Acura.. Does anyone have an old head that they can grab this part off of? Thanks..

Old 11-30-2003, 06:49 AM
New User

Default Re: Exhaust Cam Cap (dabrown)

str and golden eagle both sell cam seals.
Old 11-30-2003, 06:52 AM

Here are pics of dabrown's head. They're blurry, but you can get the idea of what's going on. Help a brotha out!

Old 11-30-2003, 07:00 AM
HT's Biggest Loser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an extra one, PM me
Old 12-05-2003, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yo david... doesn't it come as a set for all of those? Cuz when I replaced my valve cover gasket the guy at acura asked me if I needed the grommets/seals.... hmmm just a thought.. lata Rj
Old 12-05-2003, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bzyrice)

typically you want to buy your caps as a whole with the head. Reason being is that a cap from another head probably wont line up exactly. When the make the heads the cap is bolted on then they use a bit to cut out the cam journals so this makes the caps individual from the head. Hence Acura wont sell you one. If your gonna get another cap put it on and have a really really really good machine shop match the cap and journal so there it's a smooth transition. Think about this though... this cam will be spinning at 7000+ rpm do you really want any chance of misalignment? I'd personally think about a new head but it's your motor you make the call.
Old 12-05-2003, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Lucky_Smurf)

Yea I thought about a new head but I figured you change cams all the time and there is no gurantee that the cam you replace for the stock would not bind do the cam cap. Is there a difference between switching the cap as appose to getting a different set of cams?

Rj, I am talking about the cam cap which is on the inside of the valve cover, I have all of the seals and grummets.
Old 12-05-2003, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (dabrown)

The differance is is that everyhead is built to differant tolenrances there is no head that is exactly the same, EVER. I would have a machine shop do it just to make sure it lines up and is in correctly. that is what should be done when you replace cam caps.

Oh yeah and tell him to be more careful next time
Old 12-05-2003, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (99blackcivicSi)

99, The cap was bronken when I purchased the car about a year ago, I just decided to change the cover and found out that it's not stripped it's broken. I am still trying to find out what the difference is between upgrading Cams (Type R/Skunk) and using a different
cap. I know that this part is machined but wouldn't changing the cams effect the head about the same?
Old 12-05-2003, 06:30 PM

I agree with smurf, if you just toss a new cap you could run in to wear issues on the journal of the cam. I'd just leave that cam cover in there and plug the hole on the valve cover... one less valve cover bolt, not a big deal.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RedlinedVTEC)

Difference is this... The cam sits inside the journals. When oil sits in the journals you have an oil bearing for the cam to spin on. After market or ITR cams have the same journal width as stock cams. Now if you replace the cap you run the risk of having an unmatched journal. Thus you run the risk of little to no oil clearance. If that happens the cam can bind and tear your head apart. It's like drilling two holes in metal cutting them in half and then piecing them back together. They only match their pair. The only way to get to unmatched pairs to work is re drill the hole. The problem with that on a head is one journal will have more oil clearance than the others unless you have a really really really good machine shop doing your work. I'm not busting on you or anything I'm just try'n to save you some money and trouble in the long run. The better thing might be to see if you can have that busted piece rewelded and tapped. That way your keeping the same journal. Let me know if you need any more info.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks Lucky.. I will go with your second suggestion and try to have the piece rewelded and tapped..
Old 12-05-2003, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dabrown)

Yeah just make sure that the welder knows how to do aluminum and he has a really good reputation. The last thing you want to do it have the cap warp. Good luck and let me know how it works.