Notices

Ever seen this internal gate???

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 03:01 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ever seen this internal gate???

hey guys, i have an air research t3/t04e. its been sitting around and i know have a b18b to stick it on. had it on a z6, rand mid's 12's on 12 psi.

well its internally gated and i want to use the internal gate cause i am broke and dont want another opendump (i know i can reroute it back, but its more work and money)

one time it the valve backed out of the threads, so i put red thread lock on it.
it has a block off plate (off in pics) and a hole in the housing the dumps the internal gate back into the housing after the turbine and then it would go out the 3in exhuast. or if the hole in the housing was blocked the i could then use a separte dump for it. but i dont wanna weld the hole shut and it would be easier for just one flange, etc.

im pretty sure i am just gonna put the block off plate back on it and run the internal gate through the turbine housing.

so my real question is - How do i adjust the internal gate??

Thanks
Burke
sorry for the dark pics

Thanks again!

i dont really know how to adjust it
Old 03-09-2005, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ever seen this internal gate??? (Burke)

get a closer picture of the wastegate actuator. It almost looks like it directly taps into the compressor housing... if it doesn't there will be a vacuum nipple on that. With that nipple you can then run a boost controller between the housing and the gate.

That is... if thats what you are asking.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:48 PM
Banned

Default Re: Ever seen this internal gate??? (splitime)

hey man, thanks for the reply.
There is no nipple on the compressor at all.
I am just kinda wondering how to adjust the waste gate. someone once told me about turning the actuator or something. I just cant remember
Old 03-09-2005, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Get closeup pictures of that wastegate. You could cut the rod and thread both sides and put a sleve on it, then by turning it you can lenghten or shorten the rod. Which.. if it has no vacuum port on it... might be the only way.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a turbo pretty much just like it. There clearly is a nipple on the actuator because I can see it in the first pic, however, it looks like yours doesn't have a nipple on the compressor housing. So it looks like you're going to have to run a vaccum line from a different source and to the actuator with a boost controller inbetween to adjust boost.

another thing is mine has a plate on the exhaust housing where the wastegate is. It routes the wastegate gases through a hole in the housing to the same place where the downpipe bolts on. I don't know if that makes sense but you're either going to have to block that side off with a plate or get a weird downpipe flange.

EDIT: Sorry, got confused reading your post. clearly you already know what i just tried explaining.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:34 PM
Banned

Default Re: Ever seen this internal gate??? (AccidentproWn)

yea what you said is what i already know, but im a clearer sense. thanks!

i just though there was a weigh to control the boost on the actuator by screwing it in or out or something, but it doesnt feel like it wants to move.

any suggestions
Old 03-09-2005, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by splitime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Get closeup pictures of that wastegate. You could cut the rod and thread both sides and put a sleve on it, then by turning it you can lenghten or shorten the rod. Which.. if it has no vacuum port on it... might be the only way.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Are you talking about a vacuum port on the actuator or the compressor housing? If there wasn't a vacuum port on the actuator then it wouldn't do anything. If there isn't a vacuum port on the compressor housing then you just hook it to another vacuum source(which is the best way to do it in the first place).
Old 03-10-2005, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ever seen this internal gate??? (SOHC_MShue)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are you talking about a vacuum port on the actuator or the compressor housing? If there wasn't a vacuum port on the actuator then it wouldn't do anything. If there isn't a vacuum port on the compressor housing then you just hook it to another vacuum source(which is the best way to do it in the first place). </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm talking about the actuator, from the pictures I can't tell if it has a port, and I don't know oem turbos enough to guess if they incorporated the vac nipple directly into the compressor housing... would be a somewhat simple way for them to prevent people from toss an MBC into the mix.

Basically, I figured some closer pictures of the wastegate actuator would make for much easier identification for Burke.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:27 AM
Banned

i shot high pressure air through the actuator and it didnt do anything. i could just hear it coming out a port on the side of the actuator, i will get some better pics here soon
thanks for all your help guys
MUCH appreciated
Old 03-10-2005, 07:30 AM

Yup, i've seen it.. Thats the turbo that I ran on my old crx motor..

On the wastegate fitting youll see a ring that goes around the inside to keep the top on it, remove that ring and pull the top of the wastegate off..

Then youll see a 13mm nut on there, use an impact gun to take it off, then youll see another 13mm nut thats attached to the top of the wastegate piston, to raise boost turn it clockwise and vise-versa to lower boost, then put it all back together..

Just make sure the skirt is on correctly and that it doesnt leak air..

PM me if you need more details..
Old 03-10-2005, 07:51 AM
Banned

Default Re: Ever seen this internal gate??? (tgreaves)

tgreaves got me straight!
THANKS!!

now i now my diapham is ripped and need a new one. if you know where to get one please let me know. tgreaves suggested httubo.com so im gonna give them a shot

thanks everybody!