Engine building questions plz help

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine building questions plz help

I am working on a deal purchasing this engine from a friend, and to be honest I don't know the first thing about internals of an engine or what combination of stroke/cr and this that and the other to make the most of an engine. The only reasons why I am purchasing this engine is to help him out of a bind that he is in and he is in turn giving me a great deal on this motor. As you can see on the build sheet it was built some time ago, but it has never been installed. He bought it from a guy on here and it has been sitting in a climate controlled storage building for the last three years. I have verified the build with ERL to make sure my friend didn't get taken for a ride and it is legit. According to them I just need to turn the motor to make sure there is no rust in the cyls, and it should be good to go. Anything else I should check on please advise.

What I was wondering if someone could explain this build sheet to me, and give me some ideas as far as what to do with the head on it. If I am reading it right it says it has a B18A crank. How would that be a good/bad thing? The head that comes with the motor is stock. I have a peakboost ram style kit with a 60trim turbo, hondata s200, 880cc injectors and a walbro fp. I feel that what would really be holding this motor up would be my small turbo kit and lack of fuel from fp but I don't want to spend the extra cash as of yet to upgrade those. I'm not looking for an all out drag car or anything, but it is not my dd either. I would like to do the head work though before I put it into the car, so who does good work and what should I get done? I would like to get upper 300s to 400hp out of this if on pump gas if I could. Any suggestions on cams would be appreciated.
Attached Images   
Old 01-24-2011, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine building questions plz help

Ouch, that main bearing clearance is tight!

The build sheet is simply listing the critical dimensions in the shortblock as well as what operations were performed during prep and final assembly. I would look up te specs on those pistons to see what the dish volume is so you can calculate your real compression ratio.

If the CR really is 8.4:1, that seems really low, even for a turbo motor, so I would look at ways to get it up to about 9:1. Getting the spec on how far the piston sits above/below the deck at TDC will help you select the thinnest headgasket, which will help get the CR back up as well as a minor amount of milling to reduce the combustion chamber volume.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have a nice day

Last edited by vwbased; 01-27-2013 at 09:05 PM. Reason: have a nice day
Old 01-25-2011, 04:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Could someone explain the deck height on this build? I tried doing some searching and had no luck. Has this been changed if so, what do I need to do to maximize this? Also the crank that is in this (b18a) from what I've found it seems like it is the same as b18b (Stroke: 89 mm (3.5 in) vs B18C (Stroke: 87.2 mm (3.4 in), but if you look at the build sheet it says stroke 3.433 thats confuses me cause it also says b18a stroke. Is my research bad or does this not make sense to anyone else?