Notices

Electronically 'turn off' turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 02:37 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electronically 'turn off' turbo?

Contemplating purchasing a b18c1 turbo '1fstdc2' car I found but have question about turbo.

Is there a way for me to 'turn off' the turbo electronically?

Car has something called apexi controller.

Reason is simple, don't want/need that much power for dd, would be more reliable, and can't imagine snow driving with turbo. Would just turn it back up for track day.

*I did search forums first, no answer, probably only person wanting to 'turn it off'' without removing everything.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:51 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Electronically 'turn off' turbo?

An electronic boost controller (EBC) could be used to lower (or raise, with the right tune) the power. As far as completely cutting the turbo out of the equation, unless I'm forgetting about something, you would need something like an electronic wastegate actuator that could completely open it, or something that could make the exhaust completely bypass the turbo. That's a good bit of expense, and a good chunk of fabrication.

Start off by figuring out what weight spring is in the WG, and if you can replace it. If you can, put a lighter spring in there, and use an EBC to tune down. If it already has a MBC, either turn it down to a point that you're happy, or replace it with an EBC so you can turn it up and down on the fly.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:50 PM
Trial User

Thank you for info, now I know what to ask.

Intention is to 'dial down' for dd to absolute minimum in order to save motor for track days when it is appropriate to turn it up.

The owner says car currently has 20k on motor, assuming it has been abused after watching the youtube vids he took. No clue on my end, but I guess 20k hard turbo miles is like 200k or more on reg setup, scary, as a motor close to end of life would make purchase of car useless.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:58 PM

Not really. It all depends on how well the motor was built, and how well it was tuned.
Old 12-24-2014, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its simple. Remove the spring in the wastegate and your car will see zero boost. I drove 500 miles this way before getting a tune. Then when u want boost apply the correct wastegate spring your car is tuned for. You would need two tunes.
Old 12-24-2014, 04:56 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Stop being a ***** and drive that mother ****** full boost
Old 12-24-2014, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by ek9_beast
Its simple. Remove the spring in the wastegate and your car will see zero boost. I drove 500 miles this way before getting a tune. Then when u want boost apply the correct wastegate spring your car is tuned for. You would need two tunes.
No, you don't need two tunes. A turbo tune will run a motor with a charge pipe disconnected (or a wastegate spring removed) just fine. Do you even understand how turbo maps work?
Old 12-24-2014, 05:51 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by NotARacist
Not really. It all depends on how well the motor was built, and how well it was tuned.
This is the car:
https://honda-tech.com/northwest-sal...e-%3D-2693504/

It is the 1fstdc2 user if my link above does not work.

This site seems to have only pics of the car, no build thread, to bad, and I can only imagine what has happened in the past 5 yrs since last sale post above.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=NotARacist;50126176]No, you don't need two tunes. A turbo tune will run a motor with a charge pipe disconnected (or a wastegate spring removed) just fine. Do you even understand how turbo maps

You sure about that? Yes it will idle but drive? Sorry man no way.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Dallasb84
Originally Posted by NotARacist
No, you don't need two tunes. A turbo tune will run a motor with a charge pipe disconnected (or a wastegate spring removed) just fine. Do you even understand how turbo maps

You sure about that? Yes it will idle but drive? Sorry man no way.
Oh hey, check that out. Someone else who doesn't understand how tuning works...or how a forum works, evidently. There is no reason a properly tuned car won't run with the charge pipe disconnected. Fuel maps are three dimensional - the ECU selects a spot based on three factors, one of which is the MAP reading. A properly tuned car will know the difference between 1BAR @ 7000 RPM and 0BAR @ 7000 RPM, and will run accordingly. Will you have the same power with the charge piping disconnected? Of course not. Will the injectors somehow magically think they need to go full tilt, and wash the cylinders? **** no they won't, unless your tuner was an incompetent twit. How do you think partial load tuning for cruising speed is done?
Old 12-24-2014, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Back to the real question here. The guys wants to know if he can turn off boost completely to DD. The answer is yes by removing the wastegate spring your car will not make boost. Do not remove the charge pipe because the last thing you want is open charge piping collecting dirt and even pebbles. Then hook it up to run boost and that's the end of your motor. So remove the spring not piping and you're good.
Old 12-24-2014, 07:51 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by ek9_beast
Back to the real question here. The guys wants to know if he can turn off boost completely to DD. The answer is yes by removing the wastegate spring your car will not make boost. Do not remove the charge pipe because the last thing you want is open charge piping collecting dirt and even pebbles. Then hook it up to run boost and that's the end of your motor. So remove the spring not piping and you're good.
thank you, answers my question.

Does anyone here happen to remember this particular car?

I'm hoping to find more info than just pics here from build without much luck so far. Might help me know if it was done right or not.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:59 PM
longest project ever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never looked into how Mercedes does this, but they run a stock setup with a turbo that can be switched in and out, I would assume it's an electric clutch like an AC compressor, I don't know how they bypass the air around the turbo though, I know the ECU changes the map depending on whether the clutch is engaged or not, EDIT actually theirs is supercharged, I'm thinking turbo
Old 12-24-2014, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Exactly, they change the map. I guess Mercedes is the next people who don't know maps
Old 12-24-2014, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you really enjoy making an *** of yourself dont you? without a way to completely divert exhaust BEFORE the turbo like a completely open wastegate or cutout they do not just change tunes and "turn the turbo off"
Old 12-24-2014, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I answered the ops question what are u doing? Besides riding my nuts from one place to the next. Go check out Mercedes map cut on their supercharged motors
Old 12-24-2014, 09:41 PM
longest project ever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

anyone know a lot about how their system works? are they routing air around the supercharger? just wondering as my dad had one of the v6 Kompressor cars, pretty neat setup, but I never got into exactly how it worked, all I know is if you put your foot into it, then boost would switch on
Old 12-24-2014, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea they incorcoporated a bypass valve that would route the compressed air back around to the intake
Old 12-24-2014, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think not a racist solved the op question with get a light spring and an ebc. Then boost can be turned up or down.
Old 12-25-2014, 12:06 AM

Yeah, my first post in this thread fully answered his question, so I don't know why you're coming in at post 11 thinking you're solving world hunger.

As for the superchargers, they have a bypass valve. You could apply the same concept to a turbo, but all that would really accomplish is installing a second WG that sits in the position of a BOV.
Old 12-25-2014, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree, you answered the question just wanted to keep someone from disconnecting their charge piping and having detrimental consequences. Just adding to you're idea that is correct.
Old 12-25-2014, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

And racist I don't get u trying to flame me for post eleven when you repeated my answer about the bypass in post 20 man. Anyway. I'm trying to learn and help others so can u get off my back so we can work together to help others.
Old 12-25-2014, 06:56 AM
Ferio Wdm Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hes just grumpy because his build isnt finished yet
Old 12-25-2014, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

He thinks honda tech is his. So he treats people with no respect, insults people and trolls. He averages over 10 posts a day. You don't get that being a car, honda, or turbo guru.
Old 12-25-2014, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for letting a new guy know what this guys deal is. Good old internet **** talker. I guess id be mad too with an incomplete build. I'd think he had a 1000whp Honda, owned hondatech and was a professional tuner. I wont waste my time with the guy anymore

Quick Reply: Electronically 'turn off' turbo?