Notices

Electric water pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Electric water pump

Is there anyone who would consider running an electric water pump, like a Mezeire, on a mild tune street engine; about 300 HP at the wheels. Or is it really a track only option?

I'm not asking if it's needed but would it be a problem managing the temp?
Old 06-12-2012, 11:22 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Electric water pump

Even for track use, the mechanical pumps do extremely well. there is no advantage to running an electric water pump on a Honda b-series engine. It would be difficult manage that temp. Stick with the OEM.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's the impression I got. It worked great...sometimes too great and seemed to be unpredictable and not easily dialed into changing conditions.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:34 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by VTEC+Mini
That's the impression I got. It worked great...sometimes too great and seemed to be unpredictable and not easily dialed into changing conditions.
Nope... In Honda B-series and K-series has a lot of over-engineered components and 99% of the time, OEM IS BEST.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So there's a big difference between the car not needing it and something that doesn't work correctly or painlessly.

If the Meziere kit were installed on my B18 ITR would it be a problem and I'd always be fooling with it or would it work and I'd just have wasted $400.00 for something that it didn't need?

I could see the cooling gauge hunting for some temp and require constant intervention, like trying to dial in a distant radio station.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't mess with it if you don't have cooling issues.

BTW, I tried the Meziere electric water pump kit and I didn't like it. Not enough flow IMO.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:47 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Electric pumps never flow enough as they are typically intended for drag racing only. The HP that is "freed" up is negligible. The only time we have had success at the shop on the street is running a puller and pusher setup. If you look at the flow rates compared to stock it's a no brainer.

I have no idea why you are throwing in constant analogies about this. It's either a good idea or a bad one. If a setup is correctly installed/configured, why would you ever have to touch it? All of you VW and Mini guys are WAY out there. The biggest problem with installing them on a Honda engine is that they already have great coolant bypass features. This coupled with the way the electric water pump works (static speed centrifugal versus a dynamic speed centrifugal) you can see why this would pose a problem on the street at cruising speeds.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am swapping a k into a 74 civic and have no room, an electric pump solves a lot of space issues. Are you guys saying its unsafe and I'm risking my motor by going electric? This car will not be a dayliedriver or anything but if I want to drive it down to la from berkeley is that going to be risky? I wont
ever road race it or anything.....
Old 06-16-2012, 05:14 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

How in the world does an electric WATER PUMP solve space issues? There is Nothing more compact than the factory Honda pump. Sadly, I think you are confused.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:40 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by N3va3vaSatisfi3d
How in the world does an electric WATER PUMP solve space issues? There is Nothing more compact than the factory Honda pump. Sadly, I think you are confused.
on a k series you go from this:

to this:

so with a k series you can save some space

Last edited by doood; 06-16-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:34 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

I retract my previous statement as I read quickly and thought I saw "B" instead. Going with the OP's desires. Yes, obviously on a K-Series there is space savings as I am well aware.

So, for your question - as stated before, if you set it up properly you will NEVER have problems. The only addition you may want to make is a controlled fan engagement lower than factory if you plan to drive it on the street.