Notices

EGT: #3 runner or in down pipe ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EGT: #3 runner or in down pipe ?

Ok so I have read that the #3 runner is the best place for the EGT probe, but I have a bung in the DP a couple inches from the turbo that will be used during tuning for a wide band but there after will be unused.

It would be alot easier for me to just get an adapter fitting to screw the EGT probe into the DP bung, rather than drill and tap the #3 runner on my BLOX mani.... but does that make the EGT dramatically less acurate/effective/reliable?

And does every one weld a bung to their #3 runner or does anyone just drill and tap the runner and screw into it?

TIA
Old 05-31-2005, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EGT: #3 runner or in down pipe ? (jfoster)

anybody
Old 05-31-2005, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just drill and tap your mani. Be careful to not go too deep with your NPT tap.

Old 05-31-2005, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Boondock Saint)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boondock Saint &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just drill and tap your mani. Be careful to not go too deep with your NPT tap.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good, I prefer to tap rather than weld.

Anybody got any insight as to the effects of running the probe in the pipe rather than the runner?
Old 05-31-2005, 11:27 AM

funny thing, i was just searching this topic this morning along with avg readings and such

it seems that the best place is actually on the dp for boosted cars, and on the #3 runner on n/a cars
Old 05-31-2005, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BlackCRX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlackCRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">funny thing, i was just searching this topic this morning along with avg readings and such

it seems that the best place is actually on the dp for boosted cars, and on the #3 runner on n/a cars</TD></TR></TABLE>

Really!?!??! That would be good news for me

Anybody else seen these results? #3 runner vs. DP ??? which one ????
Old 05-31-2005, 11:52 AM

Default Re: (jfoster)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jfoster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Really!?!??! That would be good news for me

Anybody else seen these results? #3 runner vs. DP ??? which one ????</TD></TR></TABLE>

actually the difference in temp btwn the 2 points i believe were roughly 200*

agian this is what i have read, i have nothing to back this up
someone please confirm and disagree
Old 05-31-2005, 12:24 PM

Since your turbo is a big heat sync, putting the probe into the downpipe is going to throw off the results..
Old 05-31-2005, 12:25 PM

Old 05-31-2005, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (acurar0ss)

soo much bad info in this post!!!!

Please use the search function in the corner, don't be skurred, its your friend.

EGT SHOULD ALWAYS GO ON RUNNER #3, 1-2 INCHES FROM HEAD, TURBO OR NA.

Avg, temps should vary from motor to motor, but I have always seen mine (GSR) avg around 800-850F normal driving around and much higher on the highway. (Turbo motor)

This topic has been covered like a billion times if you would just search for the info your looking for before asking.

Temps between runner #3 and downpipe can vary considerably, usually more than 200F
Old 05-31-2005, 01:08 PM

aight thanx for the clarification

i did use the seraach function and i have been reading alot of threads, and every so often ppl say that its suppose to be on the DP

so thats for the heads up man
Old 05-31-2005, 01:47 PM

or just do it the way you want too..... I think all that really matters is that you get a baseline reading of what egt's your car runs at and then use the gauge to notice when they start to climb...
Old 05-31-2005, 02:30 PM

Default Re: (acurar0ss)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by acurar0ss &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">or just do it the way you want too..... I think all that really matters is that you get a baseline reading of what egt's your car runs at and then use the gauge to notice when they start to climb... </TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree with this...

The only FI cars that I have seen with the egt in the 3rd runner is hondas a not even pro honda cars... I've always seen them in the DP and since I agree with what has been said above mine will be in my DP. Also like pretty much everything else in the FI world... there is no magical number so taking the baseline and just monitoring from there makes the most sense, every car/setup will be diffrent.
Old 05-31-2005, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Boosted96EK)

I have searched ... and the majority says put it in the #3 runner.

I haven't really worded my question right yet though ....

I am not so much wanting to know the temp difference between the runner and the DP .... because like others have said I really just have the EGT in order to let me know if something goes wrong before too much damage is done.

So I do plan to just remember my base temp and watch for a change.

So I guess the better way to ask my question is: Will running the EGT in the DP rather than the #3 runner effect its ability to detect a dangerous temp change quickly/acurately enough for me to notice it and avoid further problems?

Thanks
Old 05-31-2005, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i drilled and tapped mine right at the collector of all 4 cylinders before the turbo......
Old 05-31-2005, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Boosted96EK)

I welded the bung that came with my gauge into the #3 runner. My motor under normal driving stays around 1000* and 1275* at 75-80mph cruising.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B16CRXT)

I dont know why you are so hesitant to tap your manifold. It would take you just as long to do it in the DP.

I would rather have it in the manifold because the idea of the EGT is to let you know how hot your combustion is. Every metal part has a melting point, I would like to see the actual temps the motor is being exposed to as opposed to what the turbo is being exposed to.

rabble rabble
Old 05-31-2005, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Boltz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boltz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I dont know why you are so hesitant to tap your manifold. It would take you just as long to do it in the DP.

I would rather have it in the manifold because the idea of the EGT is to let you know how hot your combustion is. Every metal part has a melting point, I would like to see the actual temps the motor is being exposed to as opposed to what the turbo is being exposed to.

rabble rabble</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats a good point and more inline with what I am asking.

just wanting to know if having the EGT after the turbo will keep me from seeing temp changes in the motor

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boltz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I dont know why you are so hesitant to tap your manifold. It would take you just as long to do it in the DP.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No. There is already a bung in the DP.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jfoster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No. There is already a bung in the DP.</TD></TR></TABLE>

EGT probes are smaller than O2 bungs. To put the probe in an O2 bung hole you would have to plug the bung and tap through the plug
Old 05-31-2005, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Boltz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boltz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

EGT probes are smaller than O2 bungs. To put the probe in an O2 bung hole you would have to plug the bung and tap through the plug</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was hoping to just buy a fitting for it. But even so, there is always the chance of screwing it up and tapping the bung plug puts alot less at stake.

Don't worry, if the info compiled in this thread leads to the #3 runner being a vastly better placement for the EGT I will tap it and put it there.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:21 AM

no one is worried, thier just not going to go out of thier way to convince you of something you seem to allready know.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:28 AM

Default Re: (Si Shane)

mine is in runner #3

Old 06-01-2005, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Si Shane)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Si Shane &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no one is worried, thier just not going to go out of thier way to convince you of something you seem to allready know.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know that the majority says put it in the #3 runner .... but that some people do run it in the DP.....

So is the #3 runner really that much better placement? And why?

Don't go out of your way .... just share the info if you have it.

Old 06-01-2005, 07:56 AM

I know that the majority says put it in the #3 runner .... but that some people do run it in the DP.....

So is the #3 runner really that much better placement? And why?

Don't go out of your way .... just share the info if you have it.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Cylinder #3 gets the most direct flow of air so that will be the leanest cylinder in the engine, so placing the EGT on cylinder #3 will show you the hottest reading of all the cylinders..
Old 06-01-2005, 08:28 AM

Default Re: (tgreaves)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tgreaves &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Cylinder #3 gets the most direct flow of air so that will be the leanest cylinder in the engine, so placing the EGT on cylinder #3 will show you the hottest reading of all the cylinders.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

actually this makes more sense
i forgot #3 is always the hottest, this would be a good place to put it
cuz once all 4 runners join the temps are avg;d out
so even if the readings are good #3 could still be dangeroiusly hot

Quick Reply: EGT: #3 runner or in down pipe ?