Notices

effective ways to lower underhood temps

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default effective ways to lower underhood temps

now that it's getting hot here, i'm getting crazy intense heat in my engine bay.. all of the exhaust components are heat coated and wrapped, but it's still really bad. i can't even drive around with the car on cool anymore as it'll just blow warm air unless the ac is on, something i've never witnessed before.

i'm looking into somehow lowering the temps (08 si coupe, turbo'd). my first though was a cf hood with those air vents, but i'm not sure how functional they really are. i also have a local shop that does body modifications, and they are able to put in very stock looking hood scoops, i'm thinking about maybe having one of those put in as well.. any other ideas?
Old 06-06-2011, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: effective ways to lower underhood temps

There is always the hood spacing trick... get longer bolts and some sort of spacer between your hood and hinges. Should drop underhood temps about 8-10*F.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:23 PM
Track Advocate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah but that's only when you're stopped...air can't get in when you're moving
Old 06-06-2011, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no hood lol
Old 06-06-2011, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Evo style hood.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

heat extractor hood and ceramic coat the manifold, downpipe, exhaust side of the turbo and dump tube.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by racebum
heat extractor hood and ceramic coat the manifold, downpipe, exhaust side of the turbo and dump tube.
X2 + get a turbo blanket and wrap the down pipe and dump tube.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:16 AM
Track Advocate

Originally Posted by LS AzZkIkr
X2 + get a turbo blanket and wrap the down pipe and dump tube.
Originally Posted by racebum
guess you two didn't actually read his first post thoroughly

Originally Posted by boostedBLUfg2
all of the exhaust components are heat coated and wrapped, but it's still really bad.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You have them wrapped and your engine bay is still real hot? Do you have an EGT gauge? I'm just curious if maybe your tune needs to be adjusted.

What I would reccommend is running just water and water wetter as that will help keep the entire motor cooler. Then I'd also run the AEM methanol injection kit as it will keep your intake temps down around 50 degrees at WOT. I hooked my laptop up the other night and watched my intake temps drop from 120 degrees down to 70 degrees in 1 pull.

You should also get an Outlaw Engineering Intake manifold spacer gasket as this will help keep your intake temps slightly cooler.

If you are still running AC, the best way to reduce under hood temps is to get your AC line re-routed (custom) so you can install a full size radiator and then install (2) of the Spal 13" HP fans in the car so you have a lot more air movement taking place under the hood. If you get a carbon fiber hood and run some vents over top of the manifold that will also help get some of that hot air out, though I personally hate aftermarket hoods and hood scoops.

The last thing you may want to consider is running both a oil cooler AND a coolant cooler AFTER the turbo if you are running a Garrett or similar water cooled turbo. You can go onto Summit and find -6 an mini radiators and fans you could mount to cool some of the coolant coming out of the VERY hot turbo before it goes back into the upper neck and then into the radiator.

I personally run with no hood during the summer when I'm on a road race course.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Also forgot to add that I have a turbo blanket on as well. Granted it has been hitting upper 90s lately, it's still too hot for my liking. Tune is fine, just a cramped engine may is the problem I think.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you do everything I said it will help out a lot. Might lower your engine bay temps 15-20 degrees and your coolant temps by 10-20 degrees depending on how hot they were both getting.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:00 PM
Trial User

Your complaining and you have an ac! Sorry cant feel sorry for you. Over hundred here and no ac, now thats hot!
Old 06-07-2011, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

CF hood with vents!
after market thermostat and radiator cap
you can use the mishimoto radiator cooler fluid, i think its called liquid chill, they claim it drops engine temps down with there radiator or other aul. radiators.
and everything else sugested. Just wondering whats the setup and hp your making? i just tuned my ITR with a ATI pro charger and hit 275hp. although its a b series not much but plenty of power for the street. Im saying this cause the pro charger blower stays completly cold all the time and theres no heat soak from the blower or engine bay and the hp potential is upwards to 450hp much more eficient than a hot turbo in your engine bay. Maybe you should look into a supercharged setup for your motor and see if the temps drop dramatically or not. Vortechs make good power too i hear. The 08 civic si next to me made 305hp on a comptech supercharger with 9psi.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr
CF hood with vents!
the hp potential is upwards to 450hp much more eficient than a hot turbo in your engine bay.
Are you saying that a vortech is more efficient than a turbo because engine bay temps differ between the two? Please tell me I'm reading that wrong.

BoostedBLUfg2, I would imagine that as you said, the temp issues are going to be mostly caused by your cramped engine bay. My bay is a bit cramped, but I have no a/c or p/s...I can't imagine how bad things would get wedged in there with those pumps also in there blocking airflow. Definitely look into flushing out your coolant and running 100% distilled water + water wetter (get it at mostly any parts store)...your coolant temps should drop pretty noticeably, which should result in lower temps in the engine bay.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

[QUOTE=Annihilator;45420417]Are you saying that a vortech is more efficient than a turbo because engine bay temps differ between the two? Please tell me I'm reading that wrong.
QUOTE]

pretty much! you will always gain more hp with a turbo but remember the red hot *** manifold and turbo is what creates most of the heat! not sure about the vortech but where as my blower on my pro charger stays cold all the time!
Old 06-07-2011, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=wunfstgsr;45420712]
Originally Posted by Annihilator
Are you saying that a vortech is more efficient than a turbo because engine bay temps differ between the two? Please tell me I'm reading that wrong.
QUOTE]

pretty much! you will always gain more hp with a turbo but remember the red hot *** manifold and turbo is what creates most of the heat! not sure about the vortech but where as my blower on my pro charger stays cold all the time!
Yes, the exhaust is hot. However, a turbo makes more hp because it is more efficient. Intake temps are lower than a supercharger, and you don't have a belt drive wasting power. The procharger may be a more efficient setup to get your underhood temps a little lower though, so I guess your a/c will work better, though I don't have a/c anyways.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cf hood with louvers, radiator cooling plate, skid plate with louvers, the stepped hood trick, which does work when driving actually better than when sitting still as the air is drawn out, radiator fan shroud, you could build custom cooling ducts to bring fresh air in the bay like they do to cool brakes on track cars, you name it there's plenty of ways be innovative.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr
CF hood with vents!
after market thermostat and radiator cap
you can use the mishimoto radiator cooler fluid, i think its called liquid chill, they claim it drops engine temps down with there radiator or other aul. radiators.
and everything else sugested. Just wondering whats the setup and hp your making? i just tuned my ITR with a ATI pro charger and hit 275hp. although its a b series not much but plenty of power for the street. Im saying this cause the pro charger blower stays completly cold all the time and theres no heat soak from the blower or engine bay and the hp potential is upwards to 450hp much more eficient than a hot turbo in your engine bay. Maybe you should look into a supercharged setup for your motor and see if the temps drop dramatically or not. Vortechs make good power too i hear. The 08 civic si next to me made 305hp on a comptech supercharger with 9psi.
i'm making around 400 at 9 psi lol. PASS on the SC, those things are a waste on 4 cyl motors imo.

i agree about the cramped bay, i believe that's really the main culprit here. going to do a coolant flush as well as buy a vented hood. thanks fellas
Old 06-09-2011, 05:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you considered using this http://www.atpwrap.com/ if I ever swap my turbo or anything I'm going to use this stuff. This is a recent youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXEcM0uz9J0

Last edited by Cole D; 06-09-2011 at 08:03 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what you want to do is make the engine bay the lowest pressure zone you possibly can

this in effect with draw cold air in every and any air gap going into the engine bay.

popping the cowl up will make the engine bay a high pressure zone... not what u want to do!
Old 06-09-2011, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hood spacers from s2carbonworks.com do the trick
Old 06-09-2011, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SynTeg
Evo style hood.
^ X2
Old 06-09-2011, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Bartman201
^ X2
x3

i think they look pretty cool myself

http://www.nopi.com/dsp_part_detail....d=10&vpcid=831
Old 06-10-2011, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not a big fan of the evo style hood. And how functional are they?
Old 07-13-2011, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BLU CIVIC
yeah but that's only when you're stopped...air can't get in when you're moving
what do you mean? Isn't the point for the hot air to escape when the car is moving?

Quick Reply: effective ways to lower underhood temps