Notices

EBC suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2001, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EBC suggestions?

I've narrowed my search for a good EBC to the Apex'I ACV-R and GReddy Profec A/B series. This is a 2 part question. 1st, can anybody explain to me the differences between the Profec's A and B, and of these two, which would you spring for? I've found most Profec's for $200-250ish off of the parts trader, and most AVC-R's for the $400 range so I "assume" the AVC to be the better of the two, but is it worth the extra $$? I do have one AVC-R lined up with somebody for $265 shipped to my door though, so I'd like to know what you experts in here feel before I spring for it. Thanks..
Old 08-30-2001, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: EBC suggestions? (VTC_CiViC)

if you just need an ebc to adjust boost levels, then the profec b is your perfect ebc...best bang for the buck imo and i'm not saying that just because i have one. however, i don't like how it doesn't have a display of what your boost is set so you have to do some runs and look at your boost gauge to determine where to set your low/high boost settings. the profec a has fuzzy logic and it shows what your boost is, so you just set and go. don't have experience with the apexi, but i know a lot of people like it but mention that there is too much stuff that it can control which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but i like the simplicity of the profec b
Old 08-31-2001, 08:04 AM

Actually if you don't get the avc-r can you tell who's selling it I would like to buy it..
Old 08-31-2001, 08:10 AM
New User

Default Re: EBC suggestions? (revhrdls)

you can get a brand new AVCR on groupbuycenter for $400 shipped juss to let you know

jase
Old 08-31-2001, 08:38 AM
New User

I have an AVC-R and all I can say its an amazing little device.. it has a function for just about everything.. I havent had any experience with the Greddy EBC's but I do know the AVC-R since its so configurable may be harder to get tuned right (im still playing with mine trying to get it as optimal as i can before taking it to a dyno place) it allows you to set different boost "modes" (A/B and OFF) and in the A/B modes it allows you to set different boost/duty levels to different rpms

My favorite feature about the AVC-R is its information display.. you can display 4 things at once (like on the A'PEXi AFC products) I currently display my boost (which i often watch over my manual boost guage), solinoid duty, injector rate and the VSS.

The different display modes are great and it has full peak/hold functions and even (although limited) datalogging features. It costs quite a bit more than the Greddys but im a kinda gadget freak anyway so with all the extra "stuff" it has it was a must by for me (also matches my APEXi SAFC )

If your interested more about the AVC-R check out APEXi's site and/or check the AVC-R manual they so conveniently place online ... http://www.apexi-usa.com/productdocu..._savcr_ins.pdf

-Chris

Old 08-31-2001, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I own the apex AVCD (the cheap electronic boost controller). Its super easy to use, i bought it new from importparts for $240, and works great. It has three dials to set dudy cycles at 3000 5000 and 7000rpms.

Want more boost, just turn the dial up more. I was boosting 17psi with it on my old motor...

For the price..you cant go wrong.

liam
Old 08-31-2001, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EBC suggestions? (liam821)

Sounds good, looks like i'm sticking to the AVC-R then, thanks guys. One more ?, how difficult was the installation? Lot's of splicing/soldering or easier than I think?
Old 08-31-2001, 09:48 AM
New User

installation was pretty easy.. there is a solinoid an air filter/pressure sensor a large harness which needs to be shoved through the firewall (I went in through the boot under the car battery) and then there was like 6 wires that need to be tapped into the harness..

you can see the wiring diagram at http://www.apexi-usa.com/productdocu...savcr_wire.pdf

the hardest part was figuring out which lines to tap on the harness, having a haynes or helm manual will definately help here and you can find the pinouts for the connectors on http://hybrid.honda-perf.org/tech/6gtech.html

oh yea.. i forgot to say.. make sure you read through the manual/install fully it will help make the installation go a lot easier, and remember there arent any specific instructions for Hondas but you should be able to get an idea for all those hose connections etc from other diagrams in the book

be sure to check out the wiring update on their site http://www.apexi-usa.com/productdocu..._us_update.pdf as it has all the pinouts and where the taps need to be done for a y8

[Modified by s14TurboCivic, 10:52 AM 8/31/2001]
Old 08-31-2001, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EBC suggestions? (s14TurboCivic)

Excellent, can't thank ya enough