Old 04-05-2004, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dumptubes, is urs loud??

i am making my custom setup
on my saga i came to find out i cant use my 14B O2 housing in my 4G Civic
the front crossmember wont clear it..
well option #2 is to make my own,
i have a mahine shop doing me the plate to bolt it to the turbine housin, and right there is where the wastegate is
i was going to make the dowpipe along and make a dumptube out of the wastegate and down..
how loud are they??
are tey annoying?
do they just mess the whole turbo spooling sound??
will it make a mess outta my car with all the fumes and **** dumping right under the car?
does it riggs when u at a stop light?

sorry to sound soo newbie, but based on this is wheter or ot i will rejoin it into my downpipe of just make a dumptube out of it

and i am still debating wether i shall or not do it

WOULD you personally do it, if u were me????

ps. Damnit i feel like a damn newbie posting this
Old 04-05-2004, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Dumptubes, is urs loud?? (USDM 4G VTEC)

Im sure you would be fine as most people on this site run them. know what would be sweet tho, if you put a little muffler inline with the dumptube.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:33 PM

Default Re: Dumptubes, is urs loud?? (Cruiser G)

Recirculate. You'll get tired of your car sounding like it is girgling under water everytime the wastegate opens.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:46 PM

Default Re: Dumptubes, is urs loud?? (maxpsi)

bump I agree. If you like to rev and boost a lot then you should recirculate it..... It get pretty loud and annoying after a month or so......
Old 04-05-2004, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by maxpsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Recirculate. You'll get tired of your car sounding like it is girgling under water everytime the wastegate opens.</TD></TR></TABLE>
thats funny

thats what i was thinking.. i wanted feedback from people that has done it, before i step there and just totally hate it
Old 04-05-2004, 03:38 PM

ive been goin on a year now and i love my open dump...hehe
Old 04-05-2004, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by USDM 4G VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
thats funny

thats what i was thinking.. i wanted feedback from people that has done it, before i step there and just totally hate it</TD></TR></TABLE>

i'm one of them I HATE the sound.. damn lawn mower on crack...

mine's routed back ... I loved it before my car was gone..... all you hear is the turbo

Old 04-05-2004, 04:50 PM

Default Re: Dumptubes, is urs loud?? (accordfreak)

Also, if it'd be cheaper you can buy that flange from a seller on HMT for about $20 I believe.
Old 04-05-2004, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dumptubes, is urs loud?? (sporkcrx)

I dont mind mine...it definitely takes away from the spooling, as all you hear is this loud angry lawnmower on steroids sound. It sounds mean...you can still hear the typical "shhhhh" spooling on partial throttle though, just when you have enough throttle for the wg to open, the lawnmower attacks.

I wont recirculate mine...emissions should be interesting though
Old 04-05-2004, 05:49 PM

Default Re: Dumptubes, is urs loud?? (newgsrdriver)

I would rather hear the turbo spool than the sound of a midget farting under water. Thank you and good night. I will be here all week. Be sure to tip your waitress.
Old 04-06-2004, 06:34 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by maxpsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would rather hear the turbo spool than the sound of a midget farting under water. Thank you and good night. I will be here all week. Be sure to tip your waitress. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I love that movie!
Old 04-06-2004, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't like the raspy open dumptube sound either. I'd never heard it until my bro (Blackack26) boosted his integra. I much prefer to hear the turbo spoolin.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:07 AM

ok i think the main reson people run a open dumptube is becuase at the same psi on the same car if u run a open dumptube then u will see more whp. i think fmax did this test on a prelude and they seen a difference of like 40whp just from lettting it dump in the atmoshpere. realy this is the only reason i decide to go this route as i have yet to hear how it sounds. if i dont like it when i upgrade my setup i will have it wouted into my exhaust
Old 04-06-2004, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Prelude91siT)

Yeah there is a difference i find when u get into the high RPM's ur not trying to crame all that exhaust gases in one pipe u have alot of it going into the atmosphere which alows the exhaust to flow better.

It also sounds sick when u punch it near the freeway walls and people look and are like WTF
Old 04-06-2004, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDMCRX)

I have a 3" exhaust, and I can't hear the open dumptube sounds much above the sound of the exhaust. I can see people wanting to route the wg exhaust back into the exhaust, as the turbo makes such a nice noise; it's a shame to drown it all out. I don't think it makes a huge difference on horsepower, as long as the dumptube --&gt; exhaust connection is atleast 18" downstream from the turbo. Having a nice big (2.75"+) exhaust helps free up the exhaust flow, too.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:47 AM

Default Re: (Teg4e)

Who cares if your dumptube is loud? Are you a little girl and don't like to hear loud noises? If so, turbo is not for you. I have an open dumptube and a 3" exhaust dumped under my car. I don't have a muffler or a cat. Just 2 resonators. Yeah it's loud, but so what. It sounds sick when the wastgate opens and I'm full-throttle.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Cornbread Jr.)

It's a pretty awesome sound when the ******* thing is coming at you... or your next to someone on the highway and you let loose... But it can get annoying after a while. I don't really mind it that much though.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:59 AM

It's exhaust coming out of the car right after it leaves the motor, of course it is going to be loud. It's like an open exhaust.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:26 AM

Default Re: (Johnyquest)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Johnyquest &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's a pretty awesome sound when the ******* thing is coming at you... or your next to someone on the highway and you let loose... But it can get annoying after a while. I don't really mind it that much though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I could see how it could get annoying . . . if you drove around all day boosting ith the wastegate open . Who does that though? The few times a day that I do boost, it is nice to hear the mean sound of the wastegate echoing off the walls and other cars .
Old 04-06-2004, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Cornbread Jr.)

i seriously think my turbo spooling up is louder than my wastegate, but i havnt driven the car much so i could be wrong.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tgh99si)

mine is terribly louder ever since i put on my friends tial wastegate with a 1 bar /14.50 psi spring...as soon as vtec engages and the wastegatge opens up at about the same time it is really loud.. i love it
Old 04-06-2004, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Prelude91siT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok i think the main reson people run a open dumptube is becuase at the same psi on the same car if u run a open dumptube then u will see more whp. i think fmax did this test on a prelude and they seen a difference of like 40whp just from lettting it dump in the atmoshpere. realy this is the only reason i decide to go this route as i have yet to hear how it sounds. if i dont like it when i upgrade my setup i will have it wouted into my exhaust</TD></TR></TABLE>

have you seen fmax's setup?? their pos dump tube routes their close loop an inch from the turbo. if it's routed 18"+ down the downpipe you should see minimal or no loss of power.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:31 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Prelude91siT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok i think the main reson people run a open dumptube is becuase at the same psi on the same car if u run a open dumptube then u will see more whp</TD></TR></TABLE>

You think, but nobody knows for sure. NOBODY has ever done a before and after test between an open dumptube and a recirculated. I am in no way saying you won't lose HP because the theory of adding backpressure and more exhaust into the same amount of space does make sense that you might lose some power. BUT, it is no where noticeable of a loss, and I can speak from experience because I noticed no difference.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (maxpsi)

is there a "rule" about how far from the turbo the dumptube should connect to the exhaust?? Is it okay for the dumptube to come staight off the wastegate and connect to the downpipe like 2inches from the turbo??
Old 04-06-2004, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Kidd_Stylez)

I can't even hear mine when it opens. Then again the dumptube is longer than my exhaust

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dumptubes, is urs loud??