Notices

Dumptube suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dumptube suggestions?

Well heres the situation. This is an MP performance manifold. As you can see in these pics, the manifold already requires the use of a slim fan. You can also see if the wastegate was mounted the other way, the wastegate itself would hit the slim fan, so it must stay in the position:

Now as I see it, I have two options. Both require using this pipe and either one or three flanges (I know only 2 are in the pic but I have 3).

1. Make an extension off of the manifold, with two flanges on each end that would position the wastegate closer to the block. This would put the wastegate further away from the radiator, which I see as a good thing, as well as allowing me to postition it so that the outlet would be facing directly to the ground, hence dumping in a straighter fashion. However, this would put the dumptube close to the radiator although the wastegate itself might be further away from the rad.

2. Leave the wastegate where it sits, making the dump come directly off with a mandrel bent dumptube, that would go between the downpipe and the block. I like this idea better because it would put the dumptube itself further from the radiator. However, the thing I'm wondering about is restriction. Would having a U- shaped dump flow any different than one that would flow straight down? That's pretty much what I'm trying to figure out to determine which way to do this. Suggestions?
Old 07-08-2003, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dumptube suggestions? (highmilehatch)

Any thoughts on whether I should even worry about any restriction in the dumptube?
Old 07-08-2003, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dumptube suggestions? )

thats a funky lookin mani
Old 07-08-2003, 06:50 AM

Default Re: Dumptube suggestions? ) (MiraiZ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MiraiZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thats a funky lookin mani</TD></TR></TABLE>

my thought exactly
Old 07-08-2003, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dumptube suggestions? ) (MiraiZ)

Ha. Your telling me. I'm not really sure what they were thinking when they decided to put the wastegate flange there.
Old 07-08-2003, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by highmilehatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Any thoughts on whether I should even worry about any restriction in the dumptube?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'd like to know too... I don't know if I want to wait for mandrel tubing to be shipped out just for the dumptube.... unless its a really good idea for some reason
Old 07-08-2003, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dumptube suggestions? (servion)

I've never personally seen a dumptube that had a bend like that in it. I'm just curious as to whether having the bend would slow down the evacuation of the exhaust gas when it exits, or if it would be too minor to even hurt flow.
Old 07-08-2003, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

why not turn the wastegate 180 degrees and have it blow straight down? then all you need is a little bit of pipe

never mind I can't read!

why not take out a section of the dumptube runner or something?

Old 07-08-2003, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dumptube suggestions? (88crxvtec)

If I turned it around, the outlet of the wastegate already hits the rad fan. So putting a flange on it that way, with a dumptube would definitely hit it. I'd rather not make an extension, but I will if I know that having a U-bent dump coming off of it how it sits now, will cause a restriction.
Old 07-08-2003, 07:38 AM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

cut a hole in your hood and pipe it straight up!
Old 07-08-2003, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hey high mile, Before you doing anything make sure to get rid of the plain gasket. use two turbonetics gaskets. i blew that paper gasket up. they are notorious for being shitty.
Old 07-08-2003, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SMOOTH97LUDE)

I actually wasn't using any gaskets. I always use this copper plus stuff that comes out orange. Sealed my dp to turbo with and no leaks yet. But thanks for the suggestion! So can anyone confirm or deny whether having a dump withe a bend will hurt flow?
Old 07-08-2003, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dumptube suggestions? ) (jz)

$450
Old 07-08-2003, 02:58 PM

Default Re: Dumptube suggestions? ) (highmilehatch)

i had to re weld my buddies LS turbo cause he had asimilar problem

do this:
take the pipe with flange on it where the WG is sitting and rotatoe it so it faces down, then make your dump tube, take the WG off,you might even be able to take a sawz all right there, cut it, rotaote it and mark it, test fit, spot weld and you'll be al set, too bad you are in PA, i could done that for you

BTW, dont use any gaskets, those surfaces are flat enough as it is, i dont use them and get no leak, an the microscopic gap gets filled with eth carbon build up, chuck the gaskets in teh trash
Old 07-08-2003, 04:25 PM

Default Re: Dumptube suggestions? ) (evoeone)

yep, your best bet here is to cut the wastegate runner off and weld it in a different position.

ide suggest taking it to an experience welding place to get it re-welded..if you have some hillbilly at speedy muffler weld it on your gonna end up with your wastgate dragging on the ground behind you when the weld breaks.

you might consider having some braces welded in while your at it for extra strength
Old 07-14-2003, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Dumptube suggestions? (servion)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by servion &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'd like to know too... I don't know if I want to wait for mandrel tubing to be shipped out just for the dumptube.... unless its a really good idea for some reason</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 07-14-2003, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

pics aren't showing?
Old 07-14-2003, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dumptube suggestions? (untensadude)

i have that mani!!!!!!!!!! an MP Racing! i took my dump tube straight out about 2 inches then i hit a 45 degree elbow striaght down past the trans. Sorry i cant post pics or anything.