Notices

DRAG Turbo Manifold Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2001, 11:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DRAG Turbo Manifold Issues

I've read a lot of mis-information about DRAG's Gen 3 cast iron manifolds and to be honest, I'm fed up with it.

When we decided 4 years ago to begin carrying the DRAG product line, we did so because of the quality we had come to expect from using their kits in our own daily drivers.

Over the past 4 years, we have worked very hard to become the largest DRAG turbo kit distributor worldwide (we sell more of these kits, wholesale or retail, than anyone). Of the hundreds of kits and manifolds we have shipped each year, we have received a total of two (2) manifolds back under warranty. Where are these defective manifolds? I can only assume there may be cheap copies floating around out there.

To put an end to this problem, I am personally asking anyone with a defective DRAG Gen 3 manifold to send it back to us for a replacement manifold. The manifold does not need to have been purchased from us, but it does need to be an authentic DRAG Gen 3 manifold.

The returned manifold will be inspected by our techs and the techs at DRAG to make sure they are authentic and are indeed defective. If your manifold is authentic and defective, we will ship you a new manifold. If the manifold is not authentic or is not defective, you will get the same manifold back. It's that simple. So if you have one and want to send it back, you know how to reach me. Hopefully this will put an end to the headaches I have been getting reading the BS floating around on the net.

If you have been debating whether or not to purchase a DRAG kit or manifold because of these issues, you can stop debating. We have and will continue to work with DRAG to resolve any issues with their kits and components. If you receive a defective DRAG component from us, we will replace it, period. We can only offer this gaurantee for authentic DRAG products purchased from our company. If you buy a DRAG kit or manifold elsewhere, you do so at your own risk.

[Modified by ben@importparts.com, 12:37 AM 7/10/2001]
Old 07-09-2001, 11:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DRAG Turbo Manifold Issues (ben@importparts.com)

DAMN, that is customer service!!!!
Old 07-10-2001, 12:01 AM
New User

Default Re: DRAG Turbo Manifold Issues (lsinteg)

yea.. ****.. excellent customer service!!!!!!
Old 07-10-2001, 03:13 AM

Default Re: DRAG Turbo Manifold Issues (Mr Integra)

Yes Ben, U have done it again, I have never heard of warranty on a high performance part, but I see where U are coming from, we have a lot of BS artists floating around on the net, most of them have never ever owned a Drag kit or any of its components, but they know more than the manufacturers themselves, this is damaging to your business, credability and integrity. I say to you SHUT THEM UP, It might cost you a little more shipping but it will shut the bastards up, I will be willing to bet that all those who are bringing down the kit dont even have a manifold to return, I am not saying that Drag or IP is perfect, but this "my friend has a drag kit and its not........." syndrome is BS, we have a lot of kids who love the sport and the bring over their "kiddish" mentality to this sport. I also bet that those who have a lot to say dont have **** in their engine bay.

[Modified by Liltrix, 7:14 AM 7/10/2001]
Old 07-10-2001, 04:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hehe.... what about DRAG Gen. 2 Turbo manifolds??
Old 07-10-2001, 05:10 AM

and Drag Gen II?
Old 07-10-2001, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DRAG Turbo Manifold Issues

i knew i shoulda gotten a drag kit
Old 07-10-2001, 08:32 AM
New User

Ok, first you said this:

To put an end to this problem, I am personally asking anyone with a defective DRAG Gen 3 manifold to send it back to us for a replacement manifold. The manifold does not need to have been purchased from us, but it does need to be an authentic DRAG Gen 3 manifold.
Then, you said this:

We can only offer this gaurantee for authentic DRAG products purchased from our company. If you buy a DRAG kit or manifold elsewhere, you do so at your own risk.
So, which is it? Not trying to be an *** or anything, but I have a friend who purchased a DRAG gen 3 elsewhere on a groupbuy, and now his manifold is cracked. I'd like him to have it properly taken care of, if possible, but this part of the post confused me. Thanks Ben
Old 07-10-2001, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My manifold cracked and was replaced under warranty. My retailer was aware of this problem and took care of it right away.

The problem is real and I heard that drag addressed this problem with reinforced material in this area.

Thanks
Old 07-10-2001, 11:04 AM

Default Re: DRAG Turbo Manifold Issues (sleepy)

Was it a Gen III?
Old 07-10-2001, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DRAG Turbo Manifold Issues (Liltrix)

Yes it was. It was purchased exactly one year ago. It only had 3000 miles on the kit. Also, the turbo was bad as the compression wheel play was scraping the housing and the backing plate failed. I recently had this repaired at majestic turbo. I could have sent it in for warranty to turbonetics, but I needed my car ASAP. I was out a pretty penny.

Don't get any ideas...I don't drag race/autocross/road race and I commute
3 miles to work. Go figure?

I am not attacking Drag b/c I love their kit and its power delivery. I am lucky to have Dynamic Autosports back the products that they sell as Ben does on this board.

Later

[Modified by sleepy, 2:02 PM 7/10/2001]
Old 07-10-2001, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DRAG Turbo Manifold Issues (VaporTrail)

John, for previously owned manifolds (especially once not purchased from us) we will obviously have to examine the headers. For any manifold purchased from us, we will replace it.
Old 07-10-2001, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The two manifolds that we got back were from a bad batch. This was about a year ago, so it sounds like you got one of those manifolds.
Old 07-10-2001, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DRAG Turbo Manifold Issues (98Psi ITR)

Because the Gen 2 manifold is considered a special order component, we can't offer the same guarantee. Sorry.
Old 07-10-2001, 04:20 PM
Trial User

where exactly on the manifold do the alleged cracks occur??
Old 07-10-2001, 04:25 PM
Better than steak

Default Re: DRAG Turbo Manifold Issues (TurboR616)

Ive seen them crack straight down the middle. People say Rev-hard doesnt crack, well thats not true because mine did and they replaced it.

art
Old 07-10-2001, 05:12 PM

Yes Sleepy, I have had a lot of experience with Dynamic Autosports, I know Eddie, Lloyd, Sotoshi and even Arnold (Bilug) who no longer works for them.
I have had all good relationships with them. I have done lots of business with them, I mean a lot of business, I remember doing over $60k/year for 3 straight years. These guys are the best !! If what U saying is true, Dynamic Will take care of it. I guess the question here is who makes the manifold? Is it Drag? or a company making it for them? Actually, whoever is making it, I think this is a little problem, I dont think its as widespread as some people tout it to be. If there is a problem, I know Drag will try to fix it!
Old 07-10-2001, 10:27 PM
New User

well, my friend purchased his roughly one year ago, and I installed it. He purchased it off of a group buy, brand new. His has cracked right down the middle of the collector area, and he used a flex pipe on his downpipe and everything. It's good to know that it can be fixed/replaced, but I'd still like to prevent it.
Old 07-10-2001, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea sounds like it came from the same bad batch. Have him send it back to us.
Old 07-11-2001, 12:53 AM
New User

I am personally asking anyone with a defective DRAG Gen 3 manifold to send it back to us for a replacement manifold. The manifold does not need to have been purchased from us, but it does need to be an authentic DRAG Gen 3 manifold.
I will be shipping one (or two, if I can find the other) soon... What about the Gen2's?

I would have more, but I started buying RevHard and making my own after you personally told me there was no warranty.

BTW, when someone (anyone) calls the DRAG support line, do they get DRAG peeps answering? Is it IP peeps that answer? NO!!!! Tell us who answers, Ben. Ppppplease.. Inquiring minds want to know. (BTW, I already know. But the others here are entitled to this kind of info.

Speaking of "cheap copies".....

[Modified by B20C5 Turbo, 3:11 AM 7/11/2001]
Old 07-11-2001, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DRAG Turbo Manifold Issues (B20C5 Turbo)

Mark, go ahead and send the manifolds back.

DRAG kits, along with any other product considered a race part, do not come with warranties. However, on case to case basis we have and continue to work with DRAG to resolve these claims.

There is no DRAG support line but if you're referring to the phone number from old advertisements, that number goes to Dynamic.

If your post was meant to antagonize me, it didn't work. I'm only here to help, Mark.
Old 07-11-2001, 09:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I am going to cry....

This is the best damn customer service I have ever seen!! Bravo Ben!!
Old 07-11-2001, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DRAG Turbo Manifold Issues (Liltrix)

Ed is one of the best people I know. He knows this industry better than most. I trust him with my H/A performance and he has remedied my situation, promptly.

Nuff said.
Old 07-11-2001, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh yeah the standard "racing parts, no warranty" disclaimer. Kinda like the old Dodge Dart that was available from the dealer with a 426 Hemi, slicks, skinnies, plexiglass windows, etc. "for off road use only, no warranty whatsoever".

Of course, if a company makes a defective part (a manifold that cracks) when used per their instructions, they would be smart to replace them as Drag appears to be doing. I'm sure they know that not doing so would not be good for sales, as word spreads fast since the advent of the Internet. At least it doesn't sound like a widespread problem. At least it doesn't sound like a severely widespread problem.

BTW - if anybody needs Tial products, check out http://www.fasttrackmotors.com
The guy is real friendly, answers emails promptly, and gave me a better than group buy price on my 35mm wastegate.
Old 07-11-2001, 02:15 PM
New User

Well, I am the one that Vapor-Trail (John) was talking about. My manifold split right down the center. Although I bought it through a group buy, I have no reference point for any complaints. I bought it from Kal, who I think used to work for Dynamic (or another shop out in Cali). I recieved my kit in June of 2000. I will gladly remove the manifold and ship it to you. Let me know.

Charles

**edit**BTW- I haven't gone slinging rumors about Drag kits. I think they are awesome, and this is the ONLY problem that I have had with it. John and a few other close personal friends are the ONLY ones I ever discussed this with.**edit**

[Modified by RiceRocket, 11:19 PM 7/11/2001]

Quick Reply: DRAG Turbo Manifold Issues