Notices

Downpipe A/C clearance

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Downpipe A/C clearance

Does anyone have any pictures or suggestions for routing a downpipe to clear the A/C compressor? I am able to admit that my car is NOT a race car and I NEED the A/C for the summer.
I have an SSautochrome (didn't do any research and bought it before my H/T days... God I hope I can make it work without cracking!) manifold and I only have a few inches from where I think the A/C compressor will end up. I'm planning on using a 3" downpipe and I think that's where a lot of my problems will stem from. I also need to make a bracket (to keep it away from the pipe). Anyone have experience with that? Thanks in advance!!

Old 06-29-2004, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Downpipe A/C clearance (ZhaGg)

It's possible. I made my 3" T304 stainless mandrel downpipe, and it clears the AC compressor by 1/8". I have since removed the AC and power steering, but it is definitely possible to do. See the link in my sig, there should be a picture on that page, if not, I can dig up a pic.

Here's one..

As you can see, the WG discharge pipe is plumbed back in, obviously not in an optimal location, but I did it when I still had AC on the car, and it did not hurt performance significantly (295whp on MD dyno)
Old 06-29-2004, 09:10 AM
fjt
Honda-Tech Member

Just flip the turbo(since its prob a T3 flange) and do the Downpipe in the passenger side.

The compresor of the turbo will be on the drivers side and the DP will be in the Passenger side..
Old 06-29-2004, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fjt)

Interested in what your saying. I am in the same scenario as what you discribed down below. How do I make my compressor case clear the a/c? Or is it a given that it would? Thanks,

PS: Don't mean to step on any toes... Just seen that someone mention something that I have having trouble with.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fjt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just flip the turbo(since its prob a T3 flange) and do the Downpipe in the passenger side.

The compresor of the turbo will be on the drivers side and the DP will be in the Passenger side..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 06-29-2004, 02:16 PM
fjt
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (scartail)

well it should be around the same clearance ..In that case since the Turbo compressor will get close to the AC compressor you can just put a mesh grill on the compressor instead of the Cone filter..

It also depends on your manifold and the Turbo flange location..There are some manifolds that have it angled a lil towards the Fan condender , others has the flange off center more to the passenger side to make room..Is a test and fit thing...Also you will have to check if when you flip the turbo there is enought clearance between the turbo and the block..
Old 06-30-2004, 04:13 PM

Thanks for the response. I just wasn't sure how much room I should allow and also whether or not I'll have to compromise the flow out of the turbine. I didn't want to make any extreme transitions from the turbine housing. I think your set up looks good. I'll try to see if I can set mine up in a similar manner.
On a related note, since I need to make a custom bracket for my A/C compressor anyway, if I make the bracket so that the compressor lines up with what would normally be the power steering groove of the crank pulley, do you think that would be a problem? Would there be too much load on the outermost groove of the pulley when the compressor clutch engaged, or do you think it would be fine as long as it all lines up? I figure I could get another 1/2-3/4" from that move...
Old 06-30-2004, 04:39 PM

Default Re: (ZhaGg)

u cannto do a 3 inch on that SSautocrome manifold. not even 2.5 not even 2.25 they give you a lil elbow thats 2 inch. and not even a bend really its 2 stamped pieces welded together and that barely clears/
Old 07-12-2004, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fjt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well it should be around the same clearance ..In that case since the Turbo compressor will get close to the AC compressor you can just put a mesh grill on the compressor instead of the Cone filter..

It also depends on your manifold and the Turbo flange location..There are some manifolds that have it angled a lil towards the Fan condender , others has the flange off center more to the passenger side to make room..Is a test and fit thing...Also you will have to check if when you flip the turbo there is enought clearance between the turbo and the block..</TD></TR></TABLE>

You have any pix of this setup?

All: Anyone have pix of a setup where the compressor is on the driver side that retains the A/C?

Thnx.
Old 07-12-2004, 09:34 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts
Default Re: Downpipe A/C clearance (ZhaGg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ZhaGg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Does anyone have any pictures or suggestions for routing a downpipe to clear the A/C compressor? I am able to admit that my car is NOT a race car and I NEED the A/C for the summer.
I have an SSautochrome (didn't do any research and bought it before my H/T days... God I hope I can make it work without cracking!) manifold and I only have a few inches from where I think the A/C compressor will end up. I'm planning on using a 3" downpipe and I think that's where a lot of my problems will stem from. I also need to make a bracket (to keep it away from the pipe). Anyone have experience with that? Thanks in advance!!

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll be the first to admit that I need AC. That's why I went with a LoveFab Sidewinder manifold - to retain AC and a 3" downpipe. I currently don't have the AC hooked up though, as I need a new line.
Old 07-12-2004, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (project dc2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by project dc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> u cannto do a 3 inch on that SSautocrome manifold. not even 2.5 not even 2.25 they give you a lil elbow thats 2 inch. and not even a bend really its 2 stamped pieces welded together and that barely clears/ </TD></TR></TABLE>

I have an SSautomani...
Clearing it for 2.5 inch? ITS A PEICE of Cake!

But for 3"? Wow, goodluck...

I did this for my 3 inch downpipe on my SSauto. See the right curve?

This would BARELY fit between the AC compressor... Talk about clearance. -
Old 07-12-2004, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

pic didn't come through... got the link?
Old 07-12-2004, 10:08 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

I see the picture fine. It's a sectioned bend...it takes a LOT of time to weld one of those.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:18 AM

Default Re: (synik)

That set up looks awesome. I think I'll go with the sectioned bend like you did. How much clearance do you guys think is acceptable?
I'm wondering though if I should go with a smaller diameter pipe coming out of the turbine housing since I only have a .48 outlet... That's a whole other issue, In fact I think I'll post it and see what peeps think about that...
Old 07-12-2004, 10:38 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

My turbine is .48 A/R also...I did a 2.5 to 3" flare right off the flange, and 3" all the way back.