Notices

do i need the windage tray?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do i need the windage tray?

whats up yall. i have a quick question. is it neccessary to have the windage tray? i have an lsvtec turbo setup and i had to take off the windage tray when i put the new oil pan on. i found out that i had a gsr oil pan with the gsr windage tray. and i noticed that the windage tray wouldnt fit with the ls oil pan. so is this bad?
Old 02-11-2008, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not really certain, but I think oil splashing up onto your rotating assembly is generally bad since it adds extra resistance. The windage tray helps keep oil down in the pan, and helps strip excess oil away from the crank. It also keeps the rotation of the crank from aerating(whip bubbles into) the oil in the pan. It might be a good idea to source the appropriate windage tray to fit with your block/pan.

Modified by inspyral at 10:53 PM 2/11/2008
Old 02-12-2008, 12:48 AM
i ♥ snails

yeah im not sure if aeration/cavitation might occur from the "wind" the crank generates when "whipping" at high speeds, can you mod/fab the gsr windage tray to fit?
Old 02-12-2008, 02:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: do i need the windage tray? (lurkin' eg)

i agree better to be safe than sorry right honda doesn't put that kind of stuff in their motors for fun
Old 02-12-2008, 06:58 AM
BCICAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lurkin’ eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">whats up yall. i have a quick question. is it neccessary to have the windage tray? i have an lsvtec turbo setup and i had to take off the windage tray when i put the new oil pan on. i found out that i had a gsr oil pan with the gsr windage tray. and i noticed that the windage tray wouldnt fit with the ls oil pan. so is this bad?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why did you put the LS pan back on when you had a GSR pan and everything worked just fine? Why didn't you just get another GSR pan and call it a day?
Old 02-12-2008, 07:08 AM

Default Re: do i need the windage tray? (Dunc)

well i didn't know i had a gsr oil pan when i took it off. i had to get the ls oil pan tapped and i thought they were both ls oil pans. the gsr was on there when i got the car. i guess ill just get my gsr oil pan tapped then put the gsr windage tray back on. or can i just go get a windage tray from an ls? and also are the oil pickups for a gsr and ls the same or are they different?
Old 02-12-2008, 09:33 AM
BCICAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lurkin’ eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and also are the oil pickups for a gsr and ls the same or are they different?</TD></TR></TABLE>

From what I remember when building my ls/vtec, the pickups are different. Either way you decide to go, I'd put the windage tray on
Old 02-12-2008, 05:07 PM

Default Re: do i need the windage tray? (Dunc)

yeah i believe i have an ls pickup because my friend was takin off the pan and said it was. so will a b16 windage tray fit on the ls? because i know the gsr is steeper due to the gsrs having a block girdle.