Notices

DIY wideband?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY wideband?

anyone every make or use one of these? i've seen the OZ prebuilts...look pretty decent for the price. any thoughts? thanks
Old 01-29-2003, 08:33 PM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Re: DIY wideband? (CRX SiR T)

i built a techedge. its good
Old 01-29-2003, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a local kid has one he got the parts in a kit from Australia for like $275 shipped. he says it uses a 5 wire civic hx o2 sensor, and it's 80-90% as accurate as a $2-3k system. i dunno though...
Old 01-29-2003, 08:45 PM

Default Re: DIY wideband? (YumVTEC)

a local kid has one he got the parts in a kit from Australia for like $275 shipped. he says it uses a 5 wire civic hx o2 sensor, and it's 80-90% as accurate as a $2-3k system. i dunno though...
ya, thats the one i'm talkin bout
Old 01-29-2003, 08:56 PM

Who in their right mind is paying $2-3K for a WB? Something seems wrong there. I paid $250 for mine and it didn't use the o2 off of a Honda. I had to order one from Techedge.

[Modified by tzsir, 12:04 PM 2/3/2003]
Old 01-29-2003, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY wideband? (tzsir)

Who in their right mind is paying $2-3K for a WB? Something seems wrong there. I pated $250 for mine and it didn't use the o2 off of a Honda. I had to order one from Techedge.
Somebody got reamed, it says on Techedge's website that you can use 92-95 VX's O2 sensor. They also give you a link to thepartsbin.com where you can order it.

Refer here http://www.techedge.com.au/vehicle/wbo2/wbntk.htm
Old 01-29-2003, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY wideband? (tzsir)

I pated $250 for mine and it didn't use the o2 off of a Honda. I had to order one from Techedge.
Do you realize that the the O2 you got from techedge is the exact same part that honda used on some of their lean burn civics? The sensor is made by NTK and used in a number of different applications. So in essence you have a sensor of a Honda.
Old 01-29-2003, 10:58 PM
What is this crap?

Default Re: DIY wideband? (tegtyper)

Do you realize that the the O2 you got from techedge is the exact same part that honda used on some of their lean burn civics? The sensor is made by NTK and used in a number of different applications. So in essence you have a sensor of a Honda.
as long as you realize that the exact same sensor comes with much more expensive wideband setups, then its all good.

from Motec.com maybe you've heard of them? http://www.motec.com/products/sensors.htm

"The MoTeC Professional Lambda Meter is capable of operating with both the NTK UEGO and the Bosch LSU-4 5 wire wide band sensors. Of the two, the NTK is the more accurate. It is a true laboratory grade sensor. Its accuracy has been found to be about 1.5% better than that of the Bosch LSU. Additionally the NTK has a better response time than does the LSU again about 1.5%. The NTK is the benchmark against which the LSU is measured."

The techedge wideband only works with the NTK sensor.

Old 01-30-2003, 03:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY wideband? (Wild Rice)

I have a couple of DIY-wideband PCB boards.

~$4.38 a pop for the boards, they claim $25 in parts from Digikey but with minimum quantities I spent $70 for enough parts for two plus leftovers. I have another $10 in Radioslack case and mounting hardware. I still need to fab a display, DVOM boy here.

I get tired of reading all the Techedge crap in a DIY-WB thread. The Techedge was based on the DIY-WB *not for profit* design and there is a lot of infighting over this subject on the DIY-EFI and DIY-WB mailing list. Despite cosmetic alterations to the PCB, they are in effect "the same" kit, the DIY is just cheaper + you take a whopping 45 min to assemble it.

www.diy-wb.org

[Modified by J. Davis, 4:22 AM 1/30/2003]
Old 01-30-2003, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: DIY wideband? (J. Davis)

do u have pictures of yours built? ive been thinkin about doing this but wasnt sure if it would come out as nicely like the techedge one....
Old 01-30-2003, 06:12 AM

~$4.38 a pop for the boards, they claim $25 in parts from Digikey but with minimum quantities I spent $70 for enough parts for two plus leftovers. I have another $10 in Radioslack case and mounting hardware. I still need to fab a display, DVOM boy here.

I get tired of reading all the Techedge crap in a DIY-WB thread. The Techedge was based on the DIY-WB *not for profit* design and there is a lot of infighting over this subject on the DIY-EFI and DIY-WB mailing list. Despite cosmetic alterations to the PCB, they are in effect "the same" kit, the DIY is just cheaper + you take a whopping 45 min to assemble it.

www.diy-wb.org

how hard are they to assemble though??
Old 01-30-2003, 06:32 AM

Default Re: DIY wideband? (Speed PHreak)

Who in their right mind is paying $2-3K for a WB? Something seems wrong there. I pated $250 for mine and it didn't use the o2 off of a Honda. I had to order one from Techedge.

Somebody got reamed, it says on Techedge's website that you can use 92-95 VX's O2 sensor. They also give you a link to thepartsbin.com where you can order it.

Refer here http://www.techedge.com.au/vehicle/wbo2/wbntk.htm
Not really because it was assembled and came with the box. I just paid to get it with out building it myself. I did't feel like soldering that thing.
Old 01-30-2003, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I assembled a couple for myself and a couple of friends. I dont have access to pics right now, but it doesnt look bad. With the DIY-WB it depends how much work you put into it. If you assemble the entire thing in 45 minutes, it will look like a 10 year old put it together, but if you take your time and do it right you will have a nice looking unit. If all you are worried about is bling then get the techedge because the other kit doesnt come with a nice display. You have to use a digital volt meter to measure the voltage from the unit and then use a table to convert those values to your A\F ratio. I spent about $30 on parts, the only other thing I need is the sensor, which is the bulk of the price, but it still comes out to much cheaper than the techedge kit.

The second thing it comes down to is morals. The techedge kit is the same thing as the DIY-WB except they changed the layout of the PCB and added a bling bling display. The original design for this project took many people many hours to design and test, and it was made very clear that it was to be used for non-profit purposes only. The techedge kit is too similar to the DIY-WB kit for my taste It just kinda pisses me off that those people are making such a large profit from something they put almost no work into. I dont know the entire story, so if I am wrong someone please correct me, but I wouldnt see my money in those peoples hands. Thats just me, but if you are lazy and dont respect copyrights and such and have extra money laying around, go for the techedge kit.
Old 01-30-2003, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY wideband? (genop)

Since this thread is here im gonna ask a few questions, I know basics on tuning but no exact info on how this setup would be used. I have helped dyno tune a FSAE car and feel I could do my own if I understand the procedure. Would you sue this option with a standalone to do your own tuning? or Does this allow you to do some of your own tuning before hittin the dyno?
Old 01-30-2003, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY wideband? (White Lightnin)

I would say that you could do all of your tuning with a setup like this. I have never used a dyno, but I think they just shoot for a good af ratio and then use the dyno to extract any extra power. Using this kit to tune wouldnt tell you how much HP you are making, and you might be able to get a little more power from the dyno, but it would still be reliable and well tuned.
Old 01-30-2003, 07:53 AM
What is this crap?

www.diy-wb.org

i can understand how there is a big stink over it. someone spent a lot of effort designing the current pump circuitry etc for the controller, and made it public domain. *shrug*

i paid $240 for everything last year, and assembled the t____dge kit myself and i am very happy with it. it was definitely worth the $15 premium i paid over the straight diy kit.
Old 01-30-2003, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY wideband? (Wild Rice)

how hard are they to assemble though??
It's a lot easier than desoldering an ECU PROM to fit a socket! Hehe.

genop summed it pretty well... I spent 45 minutes doing the basic component soldering to my PCB. It looks semi-professional, which is my level of soldering skill. That in no way shape or form includes the time taken to drill the PCB for mounting, mounting it in an enclosure, modifying the enclosure for the LED (I didn't like the gay one sticking up off the PCB and went with one with a plastic housing that would snap into a pre-drilled hole in the enclosure), soldering the lines and connectors properly (I'm very **** and solder my wires to the crimp ends of my blade connectors), etc.

You could probably knock one out in two hours flat, with practice, and have it look ****. Less if you set up an assembly line . Expect ~3 hours or a bit more to DIY correctly the first time.
Old 01-30-2003, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

can someone post a link to the info on the DIY wideband? everyone keeps talking about it, but i've never seen the actual write-up. so basically the price you pay to techedge if you buy their system is for assembling everything for you, and getting a display that converts the voltage reading to the actual a/f ratio reading for you. am i correct in this?
Old 01-30-2003, 08:55 AM

http://www.diy-wb.com/terms.htm

Everybody should do this. if you can't find someone to help you.
I will once i get off my lazy azz and go to work. is taking all my $$$
Old 01-30-2003, 09:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.zeitronix.com/ check this website out...i hear from an earlier post that it is not updated but they have a wideband o2 meter on sale for around 300...but that you have to buy the vx wideband o2 sensor....i just emailed them....don't know the low down yet....

[Modified by mamaboy, 6:12 PM 1/30/2003]

[Modified by mamaboy, 6:12 PM 1/30/2003]
Old 01-30-2003, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY wideband? (r4adkshn1)

its a shame really, I think everyone should have one....it would prevent alot of mishaps if you know what I mean. A while back I offered to assemble some kits for people on this board and someone kept making a big deal about it and saying I was going to do it for profit (I wasnt), but whatever I got mine
I would say the limiting factor is the sensor. If the sensor was cheaper and more readily available everyone would have one.
Old 01-30-2003, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That bosch one was 150, how much for the vx one?

Here is my situation. I currently have a bum o2 sensor. Should I just replace it with a stock one or go ahead and do this little project if Im not going FI til the fall? And do you leave this in all the time or just use it to tune?

(edit: now I understand. Ill save this project for later since I would still need a stock o2 sensor)

[Modified by White Lightnin, 10:00 PM 1/30/2003]
Old 01-30-2003, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY wideband? (White Lightnin)

your stock computer wont work with a wideband o2 sensor, so you must run a stock o2 sensor and weld in a bung for the wideband (or however you want to get it in the exhaust stream). My car is OBDII so I have a primary and secondary o2 sensor. I took out the secondary sensor and put in a simulator and used the secondary o2 spot for my wideband.....
Old 02-03-2003, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So if I'm running with the Hondata s200, I keep my primary sensor then I get a simulator (from where?) for the secondary and then use the secondary spot for the FJO wideband. Is that correct?
Old 02-03-2003, 09:11 AM

Default Re: DIY wideband? (Scheisskopf)

"The MoTeC Professional Lambda Meter is capable of operating with both the NTK UEGO and the Bosch LSU-4 5 wire wide band sensors. Of the two, the NTK is the more accurate. It is a true laboratory grade sensor. Its accuracy has been found to be about 1.5% better than that of the Bosch LSU. Additionally the NTK has a better response time than does the LSU again about 1.5%. The NTK is the benchmark against which the LSU is measured."
The techedge wideband only works with the NTK sensor.
Lambda is a little different then a WB o2. Lambda is the bosch design that is way more accurate then anything we have on our cars. It not the sensor it the actual circuit. I wasn't aware of the Vx o2 senor being WB. I've never owned anything over OBD. My newest Honda is a '90 so I've never dealt with any of that stuff. I also don't use the ECU's on my B-swaps. I made my own with the help of a room-mate here. Sorry for not knowin something like that. Thanks for the info though. You always bring up that damn MoTeC thing don't you. SS huh, are you German?

Quick Reply: DIY wideband?