Distributor Failure?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Distributor Failure?

ok, so I was driving home last night went to boost the car and it started spitting and sputtering. I backed out of it, rolled the throttle and it built boost just fine. So I thought maybe it was just the weather being cold or something... Got to my street and went full throttle and the car acted like it cut off, I eased off the throttle the car back fired and started to run again. It did this all the way down the street. I thought maybe I had fouled the plugs as the car does run super rich on pump gas. So I went and got some new plugs this morning started the car up and it would not idle but would free rev fine and run as long as I had the throttle barely pressed. I was curious if the plugs had cured the main issue of the car acting like it died under load so I went down the road and had the same result.

Here is the pertinent info on this issue about my set up:
GSR bottom end with B16 head
M&W Pro 10 with crane coil and MSD cap for ignition.
Hondata S300 for engine managment.

Here is what I have done troubleshooting:
Thought maybe it was fuel filter or fuel pump so I ran the car on my fuel cell and race pump and still the same. Would not idle or drive proper.
New plugs gapped proper and proper heat range.
drained gas and put new gas in.
reloaded S300 pump gas map.
did pull the cap off the distributor and discovered red dust all on the inside, contacted my builder and he was of the impression my distributor was shot. ( I have ordered a new one )

Any other ideas or like experiences any of you may have had to help me look in other places? I thank you in advance for your help.