Notices

Disabling your turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disabling your turbo

I was thinking about easy ways to make your car normally aspirated before dropping it off for inspection. What if you just replaced the BOV with a breather filter, and retuned the fuel for zero boost? Anyone see a problem with that?

Old 08-04-2003, 07:12 PM

Default Re: Disabling your turbo (hondapwr)

Can i come over to your house and drop kick you in the nutz?........please......
Old 08-04-2003, 07:19 PM

Default Re: Disabling your turbo (LiLOtaku)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LiLOtaku &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Can i come over to your house and drop kick you in the nutz?........please......</TD></TR></TABLE> Ahhhh hahahahahah......I almost fell out of my chair!

and no you can't do that. you should just remove it all before you go because you might fail visual inspection.

Old 08-04-2003, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LiLOtaku &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Can i come over to your house and drop kick you in the nutz?........please......</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL!!! I'll pay to see that!!
Old 08-04-2003, 07:53 PM

better yet, ask around and find a crokk inspector, save the wrench time. I still wanna see someone get kicked tho.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Disabling your turbo (D3LSLO)

lol... i don't think they have visual inspection in PA.

Having the boost set at 0 psi and taking a little bit of fuel out would greatly decrease your chance of failing the sniffer test. however if PA DOES have a visual inspection... ur fuked

Ryan
Old 08-06-2003, 05:40 PM

Default Re: Disabling your turbo (tegasaurus)

So was that a yes, it will work? Or no my mechanic will kick me in the nuts, and give me a fail?

It actually wasn't about the inspection, I just didn't want some idiot smacking the fuel cut at 8300rpms under boost and trying to tell me it was missing valves when I dropped it off, and the shop isn't responsible for any damage, blah blah blah... Get it?

I was actually thinking more of a vortechSC than a turbo. Disconnect belt, disconnect FMU, attach short ram intake.. done

And as for the visual, I don't think it would fail disconnected. They can't fail your car for having nitrous lines without a bottle attached. What's the difference?

I would never take my car somewhere that the mechanic would be a hard *** about it anyway.

Some of you obviously think it's a dumb idea, but I spent way too much money on my car for someone to blow it to bits on a test drive.

PS: I disable VTEC when I drop the car off too.
Old 08-06-2003, 06:42 PM
TTWS6.

lmao
Old 08-06-2003, 06:46 PM

Default Re: Disabling your turbo (TTWS6.)

I was thinking about doing this while i break in my new engine. I'll probably just set the bov to 1psi or so for 500 miles. I don't think any harm could come of it.
Old 08-06-2003, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you got hondata.. without blue box, fuel cuttof is at 4K rpm.. if you have small turbo.. that may not help much.. but i guess you could burn a chip with lower rev limiter.. that is if you have hondata or some type of standalone..
Old 08-07-2003, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Disabling your turbo (vtec.dc2)

lol..thats funny. take the wastegate spring out
Old 08-07-2003, 08:05 PM

Default Re: Disabling your turbo (BlueHatch00)

we tried the nut kicking thing... needless to say he wasn't too intrested in the whole deal.

Old 08-07-2003, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Disabling your turbo (lazerus)

Joe, your main problem is being OBD2 and the possibility that part of the testing is trying to pull a datastream from your ECU. Your OBD1 conversion won't fly if that is the case. I don't see PA being like KKKali and requiring carb stickers... so... you may be OK with being turbo. You need to call PA DMV and ask.

As far as visual inspection, if the letter of the law only states you have all your emissions equipment installed and in working order then the addition of a turbo will not change that unless the law takes a stance on aftermarket modifications. You'll probably have to get inspection station and DMV interfacing on that aspect, most inspection stations won't know wtf.

If you get dyno + tailpipe sniffer testing, but there is nothing in the law forbidding your modifications... DON'T WORRY. That's probably the best thing for you, because if your idle is tuned right, O2 sensor in good shape, your catalytic converter is good (run stocker for test, test pipe the rest of the time IMO), and your engine in good condition you *will pass* with flying colors. Emissions at WOT is not tested in such situations; they are looking for idle quality and for closed loop operation under cruise situations. They shouldn't even get the turbo spooled during testing.

So, ah, you need someone to lay the beat down on lazerus after he kicked you? I roll up there with some redneck boys from the trailerpark, correct the situation.
Old 08-07-2003, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Disabling your turbo (J. Davis)

a good way to keep your turbo from boosting is to disconnect the feed line & route it back to the return
Old 08-07-2003, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't get your panties twisted, it's PA. Around here they don't give a ****. But as far as people that do, over by pittsburgh, they have that emmison bs. But i know of 350+ whp civics that drive there all the time. hmm, maybe they got a hook up idk, but a heads up, for normal pa inspection, factory cat is required to pass. I think they start it in december.

My guy says if it looks factory it's good. aka hollow the ***** and put a pipe through it to smooth out the flow, and what do you have?......A test pipe, that to a normal eye is a factory cat!

And if your worried about people blowing up your ****. I wouldn't take it there for the inspection.

And yes Pa is not like kkkali, we are alowed street legal fast cars that was a joke so don't get all pissed.
Old 08-07-2003, 11:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Disabling your turbo (80884)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 80884 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And yes Pa is not like kkkali, we are alowed street legal fast cars that was a joke so don't get all pissed. </TD></TR></TABLE>

OverblownTeg needs to comment here, I know he's had some dialog in re his TT 5.0 Muffstank with various ppl in PA DMV. He was essentially told that he could get a special permit/waiver on his emissions inspection if the car was driven less than 5000 miles a year, but even then he was still liable if a police officer decided to write him up for not having a valid inspection + emissions equipment (contradiction, huh?).

The root of OverblownTeg's problem is that certain bits of emissions equipment aren't ever going to fit back on the aforementioned Muffstank... hondapwr can possibly bypass this because he'll at worst have to swap out a test pipe for a cat and fiddle his PCV when inspection time comes around.

But, like others have pointed out, you can always find a shop that is happy to expedite the inspection process for you out of the goodness of their heart. :&gt;
Old 08-08-2003, 03:58 AM

From what the smog **** has told me, in Pa (atleast harrisburg area) it will be a visual only for 95 and older and for 96 up its visual and they run a scan on the ecu to make sure its functioning properly. They did say if you drive less than 5,000 miles a year you are expempt.. But PA has anti tampering laws and has had them for years. Its illegal in PA to remove any emissions equipment and the cops can give you a ticket for it. That being said my mustang has not had cats for four years and no one has ever said a word.. Even during inspections.
Old 08-08-2003, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Disabling your turbo (Overblown-Teg)

I'm not sure if you guys have ever heard of Andy Jensen but he drives his vette, street legal and all, only like 100 miles a year tho. He has some special permit thing too, cuz I don't think a 6 sec vette is very streetable. It's 1,172 hp, and a dry weight of 1,730 no emmisions but still something cool to see driving down the road. http://www.geocities.com/garag....html
Old 08-08-2003, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Disabling your turbo (80884)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 80884 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm not sure if you guys have ever heard of Andy Jensen but he drives his vette, street legal and all, only like 100 miles a year tho. He has some special permit thing too, cuz I don't think a 6 sec vette is very streetable. It's 1,172 hp, and a dry weight of 1,730 no emmisions but still something cool to see driving down the road. http://www.geocities.com/garag....html </TD></TR></TABLE>

Holy ****... 6.6 @ 207mph That Corvette is off the hook!
Old 08-08-2003, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Disabling your turbo (mskibbz-T)

yea it is something to watch. I'm trying to get a run down the track in the passenger seat. ha ha passenger seat in a 6 sec car ha ha
Old 08-08-2003, 02:55 PM
memoryFAB.com representative

Default Re: Disabling your turbo (lazerus)

bwhahahahaha!!! classic
Old 08-09-2003, 08:37 PM

I need Mr Davis to chip me a new P30 program that pretends to be OBD-II =]

Enough with the nut kicking, you're wasting thread space.
Old 08-09-2003, 08:53 PM

Nut kicks for all!
Old 08-09-2003, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll chip you a P30 program that kicks nuts!