Notices

the difference in dynos does leave alot of people misinformed....

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 04:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the difference in dynos does leave alot of people misinformed....

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by THEDirtyDseriesWOOT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
actually dynopack reads the highest
then dyno jet
then mustang
then dyno dynamics lowest
there are a few others but not popular enough to mention </TD></TR></TABLE>

now this is the most interesting thing on here and it may sort out a few problems i seem to come across.

after looking at our main UK honda tuner his dyno dynamics read a standard 2002 civic type r put 155whp which seems about right and a turbocharged one running 5psi put 205whp with a cat still on

now most of u guys use dynopack or dyno jet...so a 200whp car on a dyno dynamics would read roughly wot on them

the reason i ask is that if its higher and im believing i can get 300whp on a stock b16 and get nowhere near it ill be a bit upset, but if it because dynos are different at least ill set myself realistic goals

lee
Old 04-07-2007, 05:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: the difference in dynos does leave alot of people misinformed.... (turbotoaster)

Every dyno is different, I know of a Dynapack that reads lower than a Dynojet, and of several different Dynojets that don't agree with each other.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: the difference in dynos does leave alot of people misinformed.... (rmcdaniels)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rmcdaniels &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Every dyno is different, I know of a Dynapack that reads lower than a Dynojet, and of several different Dynojets that don't agree with each other. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep, but dont forget about the butt dyno.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: the difference in dynos does leave alot of people misinformed.... (SOHCD16y8)

My butt dyno always tells me the same thing, I need more power.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:50 AM

Default Re: the difference in dynos does leave alot of people misinformed.... (rmcdaniels)

thats ace...i like that one
Old 04-07-2007, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: the difference in dynos does leave alot of people misinformed.... (turbotoaster)

The funny thing is, some people go to a mustang dyno or dyno dynamics etc and then do their calculations and the all of a sudden their HP numbers are much higher "if it was on a dynojet". If you want to get dynojet numbers go to a dynojet, otherwise whatever that dyno read thats the amount of power you made.

Old 04-07-2007, 09:37 AM
Banned

If you want a number shop around and find the most optimistic dyno. If you want the real number put the engine on an engine dyno and measure it properly.

In reality if you are running on a chassis dyno you are looking for percent of change more than anything. This is the best use of a chassis dyno.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:38 PM

Default Re: (turboteener)

yeh in an ideal world we would all have built engines on a engine dyno, but for some of us that dont, on a dyno dynamics rollers shall i shoot for 250whp which would be about 300whp on a dynojet/pack....or are they not normally that far off

alot of people instantly say 300whp on a stock engine is a achievable but if its not really that power i makes it hard for people to work out if they have got the best out of there tune, i suppose terminal speeds are the most accurate way to test but it would be nice to have a rought guide
Old 04-07-2007, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbotoaster)

A dyno is a tuning tool, nothing more. When you go to a dyno the idea is to make changes to increase the power over what you made on your baseline pulls. Simple as that.

The track is the real tell of how much power you are making. Want to brag, show your times.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:02 PM

Default Re: (SovXietday)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SovXietday &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A dyno is a tuning tool, nothing more. When you go to a dyno the idea is to make changes to increase the power over what you made on your baseline pulls. Simple as that.

The track is the real tell of how much power you are making. Want to brag, show your times.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly, I know of few cars in the past that have made alot of power and never backed it up with track times, who cares how much you hp you made, if its slow, its slow
Old 04-07-2007, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

agreed, a dyno is a tool not so much a mathamaical number presented to you for braggin rights. How about saying i have X hp and Y torque and run 9's, rather then saying oh i make these numbers. I definately agree with you guys on this one. You shouldn't be worrying about the numbers so much.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:46 PM
Banned

Since we don't race dynos, Lap times are all that matters.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotoaster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">alot of people instantly say 300whp on a stock engine is a achievable but if its not really that power i makes it hard for people to work out if they have got the best out of there tune, i suppose terminal speeds are the most accurate way to test but it would be nice to have a rought guide</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dynos differ less than individual motors. At least 99% of dynos are maintained and serviced well. I've seen more Hondas that literally were not touched for 2-3 years besides maybe an oil change every 5-10k. THAT is why some stock motors can make 350whp, and some take a **** over 250whp.

300whp b16's are usually fairly low milage, well maintained, and conservatively tuned. The last 3 factors are more limiting than the stock rods/pistons ever could be. Even a K20 with bad bearings, massive blowby, and leaking valve seals won't last long at 300whp. Thats why I don't jump on the b/k/h bandwagons - motor condition is everything.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I disagree. Laptimes are nothing, only ETs and trapspeeds matter.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you want to know about the different dyno look at the last few 06 honda tuner or modified mag which tested most popular dynos with the same one test car
Old 04-08-2007, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tony413)

tony413, did they also test various dyno operators and their varying intents, intelligences, motives, and morality?
Old 04-08-2007, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Joseph Davis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Joseph Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">tony413, did they also test various dyno operators and their varying intents, intelligences, motives, and morality? </TD></TR></TABLE>

i believe they used stock cars on different dynos and used those numbers as a means of which one read higher. think about it if they used tuned cars and different operators they would have to be in a very very controlled enviroment an thats not easy to do
Old 04-09-2007, 03:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ah, so basically it means nothing, and their articles are influenced mostly by which dyno company is paying for advertising.

Welcome to magazines.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SovXietday)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SovXietday &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A dyno is a tuning tool, nothing more. When you go to a dyno the idea is to make changes to increase the power over what you made on your baseline pulls. Simple as that.

The track is the real tell of how much power you are making. Want to brag, show your times.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree with what you said. To me what's more important than anything in a dyno is not the calculated whp numbers (excluding hub dynos), but how the load is applied during the run. I tend to think that Mustang has done the best job creating a realistic load via eddy currents. Dynojet is also trying to use this technology.

I'd hate to think someone has fine tuned a vehicle's timing curve based on improper loading on a crappy dyno..just imagine what will happen once you drive the car in the real world...I'd be real worried about that..
Old 04-09-2007, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Speed Industry)

I've had more mis-tunes on Mustang units due to the operator setting incorrect ramp rates, than I have off of the old inertia Dynojets. Sure, I like Mustangs better, but I have to drive an hour and a half to the nearest operator I trust. Not like that says much, it's an hour fifteen to the nearest Dynojet that knows how to pull .drf logs off their computer for you, the local WNC Speed facility has no idea what I am talking about and jerked me around for three weeks until they finally said they had no idea what I was talking about and stopped responding.

Dyno Dynamics units are pretty sweet loading units, and super portable. Dead nuts simple as well. I was prepared to hate on them a little due to the online bandwagoning of the units, but after they sent a sales rep free of charge and let me spend an afternoon on a demo unit, eh, I have a freaking chubby for them. I have a line on an MD-1100SE with 60 hours of roller time for $33K-ish, but the new DD digital units are supposed to go on speshul for $42K-ish soon and the ability to lug one to and from shows in the back of a regular workvan or long bed pickup is dead sexy.

I find it important to note that Dynojet advertised loading option for years as an advertising ploy, but none were sold because it was vaporware. People love them because they create high horseshit dyno toiletpaper that fools can wave around, but I'd never own one unless it was being sold for pennies.

I also find it important to note that there are a LOT of dynos on the market, that I haven't been on nearly all of them, much less gotten to fool around with all the dynos with my own two hands, and my $0.02 is totally incomplete on the subject. My $0.02, however, is worth more than any magazine's since I am not a business entity and have zero interest in sucking part manufacturer or vendor **** in exchange for cash or sweet JDM hookups. A comparo in number output is wholly erroneous as it's been known for decades that two identical units park right next to each other read differently, and is a needless waste of trees... as someone else already stated in this thread, a dyno is a tuning tool and you look at the gains you made that day during tuning.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Joseph Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ah, so basically it means nothing, and their articles are influenced mostly by which dyno company is paying for advertising.

Welcome to magazines.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i know mag are for advertisements but if you take subject A and test it on items B-E in the same enviroment with the same intent then you are getting an unbaised experiment
Old 04-09-2007, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony413 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i know mag are for advertisements but if you take subject A and test it on items B-E in the same enviroment with the same intent then you are getting an unbaised experiment </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well if the same intent is to skew results, either intentionally or through blind ignorance... then, no, it is not unbiased.

Look at some of the Full-Race tests where they changed parts and then just retuned AFRs instead of AFRs and ignition timing. That is a poor test, and with some components would lead you to believe the far and away superior piece is the inferior. Also, in the turbocharged arena, arguing for hp per psi gains where your power level is dictated by the size of your turbo and nothing more...

The import aftermarket is really very silly, and I disagree with much of it.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i agree with you but it makes perfect sence to dyno STOCK cars on different dynos to see which ones read the best i would say take an average of 10 runs on each dyno with a stock car an you got yor unbaised answer
Old 04-09-2007, 11:18 AM
i HAS questions ?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Joseph Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I have a line on an MD-1100SE with 60 hours of roller time for $33K-ish, but the new DD digital units are supposed to go on speshul for $42K-ish soon and the ability to lug one to and from shows in the back of a regular workvan or long bed pickup is dead sexy.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you looking at buying a dyno?!?!
Old 04-09-2007, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony413 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i agree with you but it makes perfect sence to dyno STOCK cars on different dynos to see which ones read the best i would say take an average of 10 runs on each dyno with a stock car an you got yor unbaised answer </TD></TR></TABLE>

Huh? How does that show you anything about a dyno?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .dave &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Are you looking at buying a dyno?!?! </TD></TR></TABLE>

I've been in two bad situations in the last year, and I'd really hate to leave my kid just yet.

Quick Reply: the difference in dynos does leave alot of people misinformed....