Notices

Did I go with the wrong turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I go with the wrong turbo?

Hi everyone, Just want opinions

d16z6 with mods in my sig, I have already bought a greddy turbo kit, I wanted to get around 225whp. Did I go with the wrong turbo? should I have gone with a t3 setup? as I speak, the shop is putting in a blockguard and srp 9:1 pistons with eagle rods. Should I resell the kit and buy a t3 and manifold? I picked the greddy for its very fast spool. Im also working on getting hondata 2b. any input would be helpful thanks.
Old 03-11-2003, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Did I go with the wrong turbo? (jazz215)

yes..get a bigger turbo...
Old 03-11-2003, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Did I go with the wrong turbo? (espanol)

yes..get a bigger turbo...
now wait..i knew a guy that put down 300whp with a greddy kit. although that was at really high boost, wastegate didnt hold very well, fully built motor and a standalone. But still impressive never the less.

12psi in a greddy kit with a hondata gets you around 210-220whp with a greddy kit depending on the motor setup.

liam

[Modified by liam821, 3:03 PM 3/11/2003]
Old 03-11-2003, 02:13 PM

Default Re: Did I go with the wrong turbo? (liam821)

ok, heres a twist for you guys,,, its auto.(but already bought the lvl 10 rebuilt kit)

also I heard the greddy turbo isnt really that effective at higher boost lvls.
also how much more boost can the car handle with a blkguard?

Old 03-11-2003, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You want to give me details on the auto tranny build? I understood they (B and H-series anyway) were stout once the fluid pressures were tweaked and the clutches upgraded. I've always been curious about those.

The SOHC Greddy turbo is going to be pumping a lot of heat into your engine to get over 200 whp with auto tranny power loss. I would avoid going that high without a more efficient turbo. Upgrade to another Mitsu might be a good suggestion since you already have the manifold... see what the situation on T3 + mani versus upgrading Mitsu costs.

Hell, drive it around at sub-200 whp and tune it and enjoy it and upgrade on down the road... it'll be lots of fun regardless.

[Modified by J. Davis, 3:47 PM 3/11/2003]
Old 03-11-2003, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

greddy is good for emissions, reliability and legalty but as for power its some strait ***. lol t3 is better for power, good spool, can be used for drag racing or autocross all depends on your housing.
Old 03-11-2003, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Did I go with the wrong turbo? (thrty8street)

I think the limiting factor for the greddy is the fugged up wastegate housing/downpipe...it's really pinched off. My personal opinion, that I don't believe I have shared on here, is that Honda guys (and alot of imports) tend to go with turbos that are WAAAAAY too large for their power goals. I bet the Greddy turbo doesn't fall out of it's efficiency range on your (our) engine until 15-18psi (just a guess) so, if you aren't running more than that, you are sacrificing alot of spool time for a few more ponies from the cooler charge air.
::EDIT:: As a counter-example, go look at the "small" turbos some DSM guys run and notice they have larger engines and are making GOBS of power...::/EDIT::
As far as I understand larger turbos do NOT make more power because they are larger. They do so because they heat the air less. SO, unless you have a really good intercooler and you are running out of the efficiency range, I think it is choady to get a bigger turbo. I am running a straight-up T3 and won't be going above 12psi, me thinks, so it is even to big in my book.

This is just my opinion, which differs from most (as far as I can tell) but, I believe mine is right because PV=nRT ...if someone wants me to explain this, I'll be glad to, but I'm heading off to dinner. Or, you can look it up in a chemistry or physics text under gas laws

[Modified by ion_four, 3:11 AM 3/12/2003]
Old 03-11-2003, 06:54 PM

Default Re: Did I go with the wrong turbo? (ion_four)

I think the limiting factor for the greddy is the fugged up wastegate housing/downpipe...it's really pinched off. My personal opinion, that I don't believe I have shared on here, is that Honda guys (and alot of imports) tend to go with turbos that are WAAAAAY too large for their power goals. I bet the Greddy turbo doesn't fall out of it's efficiency range on your (our) engine until 15-18psi (just a guess) so, if you aren't running more than that, you are sacrificing alot of spool time for a few more ponies from the cooler charge air.
::EDIT:: As a counter-example, go look at the "small" turbos some DSM guys run and notice they have larger engines and are making GOBS of power...::/EDIT::
As far as I understand larger turbos do NOT make more power because they are larger. They do so because they heat the air less. SO, unless you have a really good intercooler and you are running out of the efficiency range, I think it is choady to get a bigger turbo. I am running a straight-up T3 and won't be going above 12psi, me thinks, so it is even to big in my book.

This is just my opinion, which differs from most (as far as I can tell) but, I believe mine is right because PV=nRT ...if someone wants me to explain this, I'll be glad to, but I'm heading off to dinner. Or, you can look it up in a chemistry or physics text under gas laws

[Modified by ion_four, 3:11 AM 3/12/2003]
now to what rember even with some people with what they call a Frank 3 turbo i have seen after i ran there car they stop and there manifolds are glowing red i beilieve that is not good just think of the EGT's on that run.

And the DSM's run less of a rpm then a Honda a GSR will rev over 8000 rpm stock when say a 1st or a 2nd gen to what i can recall only rev to say 7000 rpm so witch they need less CFM then compared to a Honda

The DSM's have small side mounts yes but ever drive a DSM with a stock turbo after 4500 rpm they fall right on there face but with a GSR with a Gen 3 kit pulls hard all the way to redline mine does anyway with all stock internals

Ever look at the ports on a DSM they are very small compared to a Honda ports what doesnt let the compressed air flow good in and out of the head compared to a Honda motor

Corect me if i am wrong with anything this is just what i think i have though of that long time ago

[Modified by boostfedb18, 3:56 AM 3/12/2003]
Old 03-11-2003, 07:01 PM

Default Re: Did I go with the wrong turbo? (boostfedb18)

mien seems to be fine i got the greddy kit on my single... and it doesnt fall off and im pushing 10 psi sometimes it spikes to 12 i say stay with it and work with it...im pretty sure it will give you what you want...im pretty sure your set up can run with the wastegate line off

[Modified by romeo619romeo, 4:01 AM 3/12/2003]